What type of folding bike.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
stevew

Post by stevew »

Quote "However, both a bit of a problem if you go out anywhere in the country and get a puncture particularly back wheel!"

My Dahon is as easy as any other derailleur geared bike to fix a rear puncture. Arguably easier as the wheel is smaller and easier to handle.

Also should be mentioned that the ride quality from the Jetstream P8 is exceptionally good.
morzov

Post by morzov »

stevew wrote:Quote "However, both a bit of a problem if you go out anywhere in the country and get a puncture particularly back wheel!"

My Dahon is as easy as any other derailleur geared bike to fix a rear puncture. Arguably easier as the wheel is smaller and easier to handle.

Also should be mentioned that the ride quality from the Jetstream P8 is exceptionally good.

Well I don't have problems with derailleurs either but most if not all Brompton and many Dahon have Sturmey Archer set ups and they can be a real pain to take off and correctly relocate/set up - which isn't ideal if you are going for a ride after work
professorlandslide

Post by professorlandslide »

stevew wrote:Quote "However, both a bit of a problem if you go out anywhere in the country and get a puncture particularly back wheel!"

I ride my Specialized badged Dahon off road and nasty urban commuting. I've never had a puncture that i've had to worry about as i have slime in my tyres which i find is not a weight issue, probably due to the small wheels. Not that i'm a weight weenie anyway...
commuterguy

Post by commuterguy »

ive got a dahon d7 speed which i bought off e bay for 125 quid. its good for my train to work commute but i would not want to do any serious miles on it. easy to fold up but im glad i didnt buy a brand new expensive folder as i find it gets scratched very easy being constantly folded up. i agree that i could not bring myself to spend 500+ on a bike that looks like an old ladies shopper
glueman

Post by glueman »

glueman wrote:The Revolution Compact looks good value for money.

First impressions: Opening the box was quite daunting as I had no idea what to expect. The bike was well packaged although there was a scratch on the main tube. On a folder I figure it'll get many more so not too worried. It came with what I assume are Edinburgh Bike Co-op's standard touches - loads of instructions, a DVD, a nylon duffel bag and an aluminium bottle - although the frame has no place for such an item it's a nice thought - spanner, allen key, yadda, yadda. The box was massive and I half hoped the Co-op had slipped in a tandem by accident.

The fold is extremely logical, though if you're of the analogue, read the instructions generation as opposed to the possessor of inate knowledge of how to get into level 7 of Froth of Doom most ten year olds seem to be, the manual has an error. To be fair it's a completely different bike in the picture. It says fold the handlebars first which puts them between the wheels when you hinge the frame. Doing it repeatedly like an advert for Mind was no more enlightening so I folded it how it looks on the website which works fine.

Riding the Compact wasn't too bad at all. A bit like an old RSW without the soft tyres or the lead pipe frame. The 20 x 1.50 rubber provides plenty of cushioning and the lowest of the six speeds gets me up hills I normally reach for the granny ring to climb. The bars are fairly close so I expected wheel lift on the steepest climbs but the front was well anchored.
Descending in the wet I was afraid the V brakes would lock the 20" rims and the front might break away but it didn't happen. Even so I'll apply the front brake with moderation.
There was a slight clatter in some gears I put down to the indexing being out but having checked it's spot on. Neither are there any proud rivets on the chain. The other thought was the chainring's plastic protector might be rubbing but that was clear too. Maybe it needs to bed in a bit. Given the torture the cables must endure it is something to keep an eye on.

The bike comes with a rack and a bag, one useful for carrying the other via a bungee strap. It also has a prop stand: an abomination to lycra wearer's but invaluable as you negotiate the folds without becoming street theatre. Oh the pedals fold too. All for £229.
If you're over 6' tall you may run out of seat tube and the handlebars don't tilt away to give more space. It's early days and while I can't imagine the Revolution on a club run it may prove handy for negotiating the shareholder bonanza that passes for our railways. All I need now is that boating cap, some Hush Puppies and a duffel coat.
JC4LAB

Post by JC4LAB »

Theres a knack to changing the brompton back wheel which is easy once you twig it. When you take off the back wheel the tensioner loses its tension,so when you clip the tensioner back onto the frame it then needs to be returned "under tension" otherwise you are baffled by what it looks like....then its easy..it also helps if the chain is free of the front chainset.when you do this..The vain of the brompton for me is breaking spokes..Spoke key size seems to be a non standard size...I longer tours (cos of spokes)I have now got a Dahon Jack..It has a backpack carrier bag..Bikes are like pets which you like inspite of the imperfections..