Why are many anti TDF on here?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Trigger

Re: Why are many anti TDF on here?

Post by Trigger »

I don't see any anti TDF posts on here.

I do know cyclists who aren't interested in cycle racing though, and the main reason I usually hear is that they don't understand how it all works, all the different jerseys, why the guy crossing the line at the end of the stage isn't in the lead, etc etc..

But that goes for any sport, I used to work with a guy who was a mad keen footballer, he would play three to four times a week, 5 a side in the week and for a pub team at the weekend, and yet he didn't follow a professional team or pay any attention to the leagues, he just really enjoyed playing. Same goes for some people I've known who play golf, they don't watch any of the tournaments on TV they just like getting out in the fresh air walking around smacking golf balls around.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I love it all. Road races, Tour de France, riding my bike to work, touring, time trials, club runs, hauling the kids around, riding down to the beach with the family...

The only thing I have never understood is track riding. No brakes?!?

:lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I think there can be an anti road bike bias. Especially when you get the likes of a "cycle route" which is just big rocked gravel and mud only suitable for a full sus MTB when you complain about the surface you're told it's your fault for having the 'wrong' bike
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I love it all. Road races, Tour de France, riding my bike to work, touring, time trials, club runs, hauling the kids around, riding down to the beach with the family...

+1

....and track racing!

All cycling is good cycling as far as I'm concerned :D .
daveanmucker

Post by daveanmucker »

I too don't understand why you think that folk on this forum are anti TDF, I am very much a touring, leisure cyclist , never raced in my life, however I have watched the TDF highlights on most nights and am enjoying it. Wouldn't sit to watch football, cricket or golf etc.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

TDF surely the worlds most demanding sporting event. Like it…
But… Lattidude Fest on Radio 6 music from 7pm this evening. Thats what I will be tuned in to. On the road touring, going and seeing places on bikes is what primarily interests me. Cant say I have noticed any anti TDF or roadie dislike on here?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

I stand corrected :D
I did say "between the lines" so although nobody puts a post up as such it was an impression I had. Glad to see so many replies and most of them positive and happy.

Thanks.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Dave W wrote:I stand corrected :D
I did say "between the lines" so although nobody puts a post up as such it was an impression I had. Glad to see so many replies and most of them positive and happy.

Thanks.

I'm not happy! No British rider now having a chance of being on the podium. :(
And after todays winning performance the race may be a forgone conclusion with still over a week to go.
(but you never know until Paris. ) :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:TDF surely the worlds most demanding sporting event.

Al

Dunno. Heard an interview with Merckx where he said the mountains were harder in the Giro. Likely he knows about such things.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Benethi

Post by Benethi »

I'm not on here regular enough to have posted any tour hating posts, but I'm sure if I was I would have done ;) (only between the lines mind)

I enjoy getting out on my racer in lycra occasionally, though first and foremost I'm a commuting/shopping/getting about/touring cyclist. Oh I do a bit of mountain biking too...

living in Sheffield I did go to see both the first two stages, though if I'm completely honest I probably wouldn't have got round to it had my girlfriend not made me...I have very little interest in actual racing (certainly in watching anyone else doing it, must actually get round to doing a race myself at some point) but did follow a little of the tour purely from a curiosity point of view as to how it works (it still completely baffles me)

I certainly don't have anything against it as such, I'd rather it was there than not, although I feel it's a little depressing how the whole country's going to have been fairly tuned into it this year, only to see two British riders crash, somewhat strengthening the 'cycling is dangerous' perception :(
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Watched the start in York and the two greatest cyclists I saw were Poulidor and Lemond .......
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
keithb

Post by keithb »

Look at it this way, to suggest that all cyclists lake and watch the tour, is like saying that everyone who drives a car should like Formula 1.

Just because you use something daily, doesn't mean you have to be interested in doing it competitively.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

keithb wrote:Look at it this way, to suggest that all cyclists lake and watch the tour, is like saying that everyone who drives a car should like Formula 1.

Just because you use something daily, doesn't mean you have to be interested in doing it competitively.

And using the same logic everyone should be interested in competitive walking races.. :D
broadway

Post by broadway »

cycleruk wrote:Are racing and just driving a car poles apart?

Not if you go to the morning paper like this :)

Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Vorpal wrote:I love it all. Road races, Tour de France, riding my bike to work, touring, time trials, club runs, hauling the kids around, riding down to the beach with the family...

The only thing I have never understood is track riding. No brakes?!?

:lol:

With you there. Nothing against track riding, but the hypertrophied quads of the pros are grotesque.
Have we got time for another cuppa?