Why are many anti TDF on here?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dave W

Why are many anti TDF on here?

Post by Dave W »

There seems to be an undercurrent of tour haters on this forum reading between the lines - why is that? It's almost as if anyone who rides on a racing inspired bike on the weekend isn't a proper cyclist.

Looking at it from the other side the Tour has done wonders for British cycling - it's got many people out on their bikes and boosted the sport - what's wrong with that?
The coverage through Yorkshire by the way was superb - I never realised that part of the country was so beautiful.
AndyK

Re: Why are many anti TDF on here?

Post by AndyK »

Strange, I hadn't noticed that. Maybe it's because I'm reading the actual lines, not between them?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Anti TDF on here...can't say I noticed that myself. I watch every stage right through and only fast forward through the less interesting parts.
Beauty will save the world.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

can't say i've noticed. i'm loving it.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I've not noticed that either - and it certainly doesn't apply to me...............even though they wouldn't let me ride it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dellwood33

Post by dellwood33 »

record it & watch it every evening on Eurosport - Excellent for fast forwarding past the more tedious bits & the adverts :)
Certainly no anti TdF noticed on the forum ??
mjr

Post by mjr »

I like the TDF and watch at least the highlights each day.... BUT I don't think boosting the sport does much to improve things for touring and transport cycling. Fast fit sportspeople can cope with things that cause serious problems for a loaded tourer, a commuter on a folder or a teenager.

At worst, "roadies" object to cycle- specific provision because they fear being forced to use it and some even say if you can't do 15mph average speed then you're "no good to man nor beast"... but I hope an influx of new cycle sports riders might water the old crusties down and might even have travelled to places where they build good cycleways and sports riders are OK on them :-)

So it's good, but let's not think sport solves everything as some commentators seem to be saying. Riding isn't only racing and transport isn't sport. Has any successful cycling revolution been sports-led?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Si

Post by Si »

I wonder if what Dave is referring to is not so much an anti-tour thing but rather the feeling that many people who are not yet that experienced in cycling see to tour and go along to a shop to buy a bike where they are flogged a race bike-alike when what they really needed was a day-to-day commuter with lots of lower gears, mudguards, a more comfortable upright position, a rack, etc etc. This, in my humble opinion, is in no way the fault of the TdF, but rather the manufacturers and sales people using the image of the TdF to flog expensive and less than ideal bikes to people who need something different.

Of course, if some one just wants a bike to go out and ride fast on then going for the race bike-alike option is fine.

Regarding the TdF, I think most people on here who express an opinion are either neutral (i.e. it has nothing to do with their kind of cycling but they don't necessarily have anything against other people enjoying it), or they are interested in it and mightily impressed with the skills and abilities of the riders.

The other issue that might be peeping out is that in some quarters it appears that cycling is just about going fast (like in the tour). For instance, there is that itv4 cycling program, the mainstay of which seems to be sport focussed when I've watched it. Or there are things like C+ magazine which, when it started, used to look at the whole wide and wacky world of cycling but now is focussed on sport, sportif, training, and full of carbon bling. If cycling is sold predominantly as a sport or a competitive activity that one needs to train for then that can put quite a lot of non-sporty people off. Again, this is not the fault of the TdF, but rather the way the TdF is used as a marketing tool by those who are in it to make money.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Not a hater but some one who finds it BOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

it needs to be Top-Geared!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

That's pretty good, really....a thread which started with an obvious troll has, in less than a page, got a forum moderator knocking the bike trade. :roll:
Si, for your information, the public buy bikes just like they buy sofas or cars, shoes or kitchens, or any damned thing else you care to mention.
ITS ALL ABOUT THE LOOK OF THE THING.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Troll?
I quite resent that remark actually. No, it's a debate. The tour isn't for some. I like it but I'm not obsessed by it, it doesn't worry me if I miss a day or two. I'm interested in why some don't like it.

On a completely different note it used to surprise me when motorcyclists at work would dress in race leathers and buy insanely fast motorcycles and yet not follow Moto GP :?
beardy

Post by beardy »

Those of us who are anti-TDF were not going on that part of the forum and so not bothered by it or bothering those who were there.
I am quite grateful for the formation of a special forum area for that purpose. :D

Now you have bought it out of the racing ghetto. "Yawn."

Oh I liked riding motorcycles fast until Plod gave me 9 points but wouldnt watch any racing (even if I had a TV).

I am only mildly irritated by almost always being asked if I am "racing or on a sponsored event" just because I am riding a bike further than the corner shop.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If the thread title was anywhere near the truth I'd enter into the debate,as it is it ain't,so I won't.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
sreten

Post by sreten »

Dave W wrote: It's almost as if anyone who rides on a racing inspired bike on the weekend isn't a proper cyclist.

Hi,

FWIW at 55 overtaking some OAMIL (work it out) on a bike that costs 15 times my bike
kitted out in very expensive cycling kit you do wonder what on earth are they thinking ?

Many weekend cyclists freely admit the bike they have is 3 times more expensive then
they'll really ever need and the same goes for all the kit they use, its not really necessary.

What this has to do with the TDF is beyond me, unless your on about cyclists togged
up to the nines on very expensive bikes to look like TDF wanabees, that are just slow.

And yes, if you just don't ride any type of bike a lot of the time, but get all the kit
on to ride your expensive bike at the weekend, your just not a real cyclist IMO.

rgds, sreten.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Blimey, don't read too deeply. Maybe I should have worded it differently. All I was asking really was why some dislike the TDF? To some it would be the pinnacle of cycling but others seem to snipe at anyone resembling a racing cyclist. I was curious as to why a cyclist might have no interest in it. Could be the drugs, could be the whole image maybe. It wouldn't bother me either way I'm not looking for an argument.