Reasonable quality cone spanner ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake

Reasonable quality cone spanner ?

Post by Drake »

The jaws on the one i've got has "stretched" over time . . so it's time to replace i think.
The one i've got is a very thin pressed steel type. Although it's served it's purpose over the years, i would like to replace it with a spanner of better quality.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Reasonable quality cone spanner ?

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

+1

I`ve had a pair of these for about twenty years now, i`m surprised you can still get what appears to be the same quality ones for such a bargain price and with Campagnolo on them.
Still made in Italy?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Buy cheap, buy twice. You can't beat Campag quality. These look similar, but not identical to my ancient pair. I also wonder if they are as good, though it's not a tool you punish, is it.
Beauty will save the world.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I've also had a pair of these for years and years and reckon they're good....... but they are 13/14mm and some hubs now need 15/16mm spanners. I've got a Park one and it seems pretty good but it is much newer and hasn't seen the use of the Campag ones so I can't be quite as confident.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, Campag is 13/14.
I have a pair from when I ran Campag Record in the 1980s.
I haven't used them since as, my bikes don't have cones like those any more.

Tell a lie, I have an RSW16 in the shed, and the front wheel would need them ....... if I ever wanted to do anything to the damned thing. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Campag used to make 15/16 as well, to fit their Nuovo Tipo hubs. There are also campag 17mm cone spanners sold for their SGR pedals. These spanners also fit shimano hubs etc.

My oldest campag spanners were made using a press tool but later ones appear to be laser cut to shape. I don't know if this makes any real difference or not.

Tacx cone spanners seem pretty good to me but park tool ones have a good warranty. Both have longer handles which is useful for loosening obstinate locknuts. With campag spanners they are a bit shorter and you can't really overtighten locknuts very easily.

I managed to find some bargain 15mm cone spanners a while back and I have reground some of them to make 17 and 19mm versions etc.

I have also made special cone spanners before now, for hubs with odd sizes that I can't seem to buy.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drossall

Post by drossall »

Brucey wrote:Campag used to make 15/16 as well, to fit their Nuovo Tipo hubs.

+1. I've got a pair each of Campag 13/14 and 15/16 from three decades back, that I still use and are as good as new.

I've also bought Park more recently, as some hubs need 17s or even 18s. Park Tools are always good, so I fully expect them to be reliable.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

I got some of these (http://www.wilko.com/bike-parts+accessories/cyclo-cone-spanner-set/invt/0337310) from Wilkinsons! Not what I expected to see. The quality's fine, I've used them on several wheels and they do the job and cover 13, 14, 15 and 17mm. Wilkos also sell Schwalbe tyres, who knew!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

those wilkos ones are of a popular design that is inherently flawed. Since you can buy better tools for just a little more, I'd suggest that you do that instead.

If you are on a budget a set of fat spanner cone spanners is £10.99 and they look pretty good for the money, covering sizes from 13 to 18mm, using an inherently strong design.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't you need two sets with those?
What happens if your cone and locknut are the same size?
Mick F. Cornwall
drossall

Post by drossall »

I need two of each size anyway, even though my cones and locknuts are different sizes. One on the far cone, holding the axle steady, and one on the near cone, plus usually an adjustable spanner on the nut on the near side, tightening it against the cone. Without the far one, I find that the axle rotates a little, and so the nut locks up with the cone moved on the thread from where I wanted it.
Last edited by drossall on 22 Jul 2014, 12:33am, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

actually for doing old campag NR rear hubs etc you need three of one size to do a proper job.

Fortunately modern hubs are usually designed differently to that!

So with just a few exceptions the FS set is actually OK for most hubs, provided you have something to hold the far side locknut/axle steady.

cheers
peterbayliss

Post by peterbayliss »

I have got a set of Park tool cone spanners from Wiggle, http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/park-tools-do ... ne-wrench/ with the current discount they are less expensive they many of the alternatives.
gaz

Post by gaz »

+1 for Park Tool.

Although I wouldn't be without my Sunotur TA-260s :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade