What Happened To Raleigh?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Thomas125

What Happened To Raleigh?

Post by Thomas125 »

I'm window shopping for a new bike on the cycle to work scheme, they're back in September and changing my mind daily lol :mrgreen:

All the Raleigh bikes seem pretty poorly specced for the money compared to the competition though, even makes like Dawes where you usually pay more for the frame outdo them in terms of components.

Lots of people on here seem to love the old Raleigh's though and they look like better bikes. What happened to them?

The 2nd hand pursuit I got to tide me through a bikeless period was £300 new and has very low end components, 7 speed freewheel and side pull brakes, both of which went out of fashion for new bikes ten years ago.
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
Brucey

Re: What Happened To Raleigh?

Post by Brucey »

in a nutshell, they (rightly or wrongly) decided that they had to compete with cheap imports. Most what followed was then more or less inevitable.

These days they are just another brand, and their products would be difficult to differentiate from many others if you took the stickers off.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I think you'll find 7 speed freewheels are still common for bikes in that price range and £300 is really at the budget end of 'proper' bikes these days. Any bike in that market segment will be compromised to keep the cost down. Many years ago Raleigh was the world largest bicycle company and made all it's own bikes and components in Nottingham. The time came when they couldn't compete with bicycles manufactured in the far east with Shimano parts, so adopted the "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" approach. Yes, lots of people like old Raleighs but generally these were top end models when they were new. In truth they always churned out some very basic machines but at least they date from an era where durability was more of a priority than "lightweight".

One thing that is forgotten as the nominal price of bikes rises is that they have got cheaper in real terms, compared to average incomes. We all remember a time in the distant past when bikes were much cheaper, but in reality they are cheaper now than they were back then.
Last edited by Bicycler on 23 Jul 2014, 8:14pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Shame really. There's always a market for nice niche bikes, Dawes, Orbit, Mercian to name a few.

I'm trying to find something a bit different on purpose. :-)
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

They still do some better quality stuff. One thing to note is that with Raleigh (like Dawes) the list price is often much higher than the price at which you can find them for sale.

If you want something different and can deal with their idiosyncracies, a bit of patience would get you an old lightweight steel road bike for much less than the cost of an equivalent quality new bike.
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

I'm liking this at the moment, looks proper old school:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/expedition-2014-touring-bike-ec059663

Super practical commuter too.
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Thomas125 wrote:I'm liking this at the moment, looks proper old school:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/expedition-2014-touring-bike-ec059663

Super practical commuter too.

30.5Kg ??? :shock:

26" wheels, I like!

Doesn't seem to list the sizes though.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

30.5 lbs I think :lol:
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Good threads Colin thanks.

I'm looking for a bombproof practical commuter/go everywhere as I can't drive bike and this is spot on for my money.

Full mudguards rear pannier, option to add a front one if I need to. Strong wheels, good road and dirt track tyres.

Nice steel frame too.

I'll prob add a bottle dynamo and a iq cyo lamp to it and ride it everywhere. :D
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

pete75

Post by pete75 »

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
drossall

Post by drossall »

Raleigh seemed to me to see-saw repeatedly. When I started in the 70s, they mostly produced BSOs, but had a good reputation from earlier years. Then they went back to quality bikes, the special products division came to the fore, 531 tourers were relaunched, and they were good again. Then they went back to making BSOs. Then they changed again.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Are they part of the Accell Group?
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Their car company ended up as famous than their bicycle company.

The yellow van of Trotters Independent Traders is now about, if not more recognisable than the Chopper.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Aren't they an American company now?