SOLD David Lloyd 650c Reynolds 731 OS - F & F

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DeepdalePete

SOLD David Lloyd 650c Reynolds 731 OS - F & F

Post by DeepdalePete »

Apologies if this is not the correct area of the forum. I am in the process of selling a 1994 David Lloyd 650 frame and forks on behalf of an old chap I know. This frame is spectacular with one of the nicest paint jobs I've ever seen. It's a turquoise/green flip pearlescent paint with half chromed rear stays that are stamped David Lloyd. The top of the rear stays are also stamped David Lloyd as are the stays on the front forks. It has internal routing cabling. 2 bottle holders. It's a Reynolds 731 OS frame and forks.
I have never seen one of these before and have very limited knowledge of it's desirability of value. He bought this frame after it was trialled by a relative of David Lloyd. As far as he is aware they only made three with this colour scheme.
I suspect there may be more than that as each one must be unique due to the way it has been painted.

The condition is incredible. It was wrapped in 1995 and has not seen the light of day since.

Seat tube is 56 cm from centre of BB to top of tube. Top tube is 54 cm centre to centre. Head tube is 16.5 cm.

I would be very grateful of any info that forum members could give.

This is the link for the photos. Unfortunately they don't do it any justice.

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/pete1 ... 20731%20OS

Now sold
Attachments
IMG_0445 (Small).JPG
Last edited by DeepdalePete on 3 Oct 2014, 9:16pm, edited 10 times in total.
Brucey

Re: David Lloyd 650b Reynolds 731 OS - F & F (photos added)

Post by Brucey »

interesting frame that; it might help if you say if it has mudguard clearances or not, and what size/angles the frame is.

The distance from the brake centrebolt to the axle centre is a useful figure which will allow the clearances to be gauged.

If the frame is meant for skinny tyres it might be set for 650C wheels (571mm BSD) rather than 650B BTW.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
broadway

Re: David Lloyd 650b Reynolds 731 OS - F & F (photos added)

Post by broadway »

Could be a Concept 90, try a valuation question on Retrobike in the Road Section

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 2&t=294384
DeepdalePete

Re: David Lloyd 650c Reynolds 731 OS - F & F (photos added)

Post by DeepdalePete »

Thank you both for the replies. Spot on. It's a concept 90 alright. The frame number is: LL 94940. This makes it a 1994 frame.

The condition given it is 20 years old is amazing. It has an unused STX headset. I'll give the Retro Bike thread a good read tomorrow when I've got more time.

Once again thank you to you both. I know the direction I'll be heading with this now. How I wish this was a 700c frame as it would be mine now!

I'm not taking a commission for selling this; just helping a nice local senior cyclist out as selling is not really his forte.
DeepdalePete

Post by DeepdalePete »

With the aide of invaluable info from forum members, I'm editing the original post as I find out more info. The chap who owns this bought it for £200 in 1995 and intended to build a bike from it. It's remained untouched ever since hence the condition.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well just looking at it now the angle of the chainstays doesn't look quite right for 650C perhaps.... so it is worth just checking what the brake centrebolt to axle dimension is; it could be a frame that is built with a funny BB height or something?

It does look nicely made though.

cheers
DeepdalePete

Post by DeepdalePete »

Where do I measure the rear axle bolt? I'm assuming I take the measurement from the centre of the brake bolt to the leading back edge of the axle housing on the rear stay?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

centre of axle to centre of brake bolt.

Even if the frame is meant for 650C, it will probably accept a 700C wheel with no tyre on it for measurement purposes; you can then infer the correct brake drop for the various rims sizes from the 'brake drop' required for a 700C wheel.

cheers
hazeyblue

Post by hazeyblue »

Beautiful bike. Pretty sure Dave had most of his paintwork done at Argos in Bristol, and on the odd occasion, C&G in Liverpool.

I have nothing much to add other than I was the principal studio photographer of Dave Lloyd bikes of that era. He had a tiny workshop in Neston, Wirral and each frame was tailored to the rider. I remember photographing the bike he built for Olympian, Steve Ovett.

I no longer work at the studio, but often wish I had access to the images I shot...

Deepdale - no offence, but he kinda preferred being called 'Dave' by the likes of you and I, or 'Lloydy' by those who really knew him.
DeepdalePete

Post by DeepdalePete »

Dave it is then.
DeepdalePete

Re: SOLD David Lloyd 650c Reynolds 731 OS - F & F (photos ad

Post by DeepdalePete »

Now sold. Thank you for your comments on the thread.