Hip Replacement

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
colin mitchell

Hip Replacement

Post by colin mitchell »

Does anyone have advice about how quickly a return to the bike is possible? Tips and constructive suggestions welcome. I am due to have a full hip replacement on Friday next. :?
jezer

Re: Hip Replacement

Post by jezer »

I know a few cyclists who have had this, and I think a return to some activity is desirable. If you are fit then perhaps a turbo or rollers, taken gently at first would be a good idea. I know they are boring, but whatever gets you going again will be worth the effort.
Power to the pedals
Quaker Mike

Post by Quaker Mike »

I had my right hip replaced 19th September last year. I stayed off the bike through October, saw the surgeon on the 11th Nov. who when I pestered him about riding again finally said "if you can get on without over-flexing the hip joint (i.e. not over 90°)give it a go". Next day I tried my Brompton, because of the low step over, managed 2 miles but was terrified of falling off. :oops: Luckily my upright Longstaff trike is a mixte frame, and I found I could manage to get on that by wheeling it to a high kerb. By the end of November my mileage chart shows I managed fifty miles in dribs and drabs on local roads. After that I was away as my healing muscles loosened up. By January I was back on two wheels, first on a mixte Dawes, and then finding I could step over the crossbar of my Koga Myata if I leaned it overt enough. I was back to normal by Easter, when my heast started playing up - but that's another story.

I was lucky that I'd anticipated the need for ease of mounting, as my athritis developed, and had bought both a good (second hand) open-framed bike and also the trike.

Basically, I'd say that, despite being 79, as a regular rider I had a head start over the other chaps on the ward when it came to recovery. So if you've been riding regularly, it shouldn't be long before you're back on wheels. Just listen to your body, and go for it when you feel ready. I hope all goes well.

Mike
Peter Fabian

Total hip replacement

Post by Peter Fabian »

Does anyone know a regular cyclist who has had a total hip replacement (THR) ? I am asking because I am down to have a THR in the next 18 weeks and am trying to establish which system will give me the best chance of doing the most on the bike. Different orthopaedic consultants have different views about which is the best replacement 'system' and there seems to be pros and cons for each. Talking to someone who is back on the bike and riding 'hard' after a THR might help me steer a way through what looks increasingly like a minefield. I understand that what is good for one is not necessarily right for someone else but first hand experience will be a useful piece in the puzzle. (how I come to be on the waiting list without being clear on what i want is another story for another time :-)) Any thoughts and insights would be welcome as I weigh the options. Thanks in advance.
Peter Fabian

Post by Peter Fabian »

I am due to have a total hip replacement in the next few weeks and I am trying to work out what the best system is for a return to riding. I am nearly 60 and ride with a road club. I would be interested to know what system you are going to have and the reasons for it. Different surgeons seem to have different views and steering through medical opinion is proving quite a challenge
nickodemia

Post by nickodemia »

I had a total hip replacement in March last year, was sent home with crutches which I only needed for a day, changed to a walking stick and by the end of a week I didn't need that either. I was very thorough about doing the exercises I had been given. I saw the consultant after 7 weeks and he said I could cycle again as long as my hip didn't go more than 90 degrees. It only took a short time before I was riding quite normally and much stronger than before the op. Have ridden 2,500 - 3,000 miles since then. I agree with Quaker Mike about being fit in the first place helping. I'm not sure what type of hip I have actually apart from knowing its a metal one, but I do know it's damn good. Hope all goes well for you.
colin mitchell

Post by colin mitchell »

Thanks everyone. I am listed for Friday. Over last three months have been unable to get onto my road bike but have used the turbo/watt bike regularly. I climb on the turbo with aid of a step ladder. The paper work that I was given states cycling is recommended. I'll let those waiting know how I get on. :)
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Good luck, and do come back and tell us how you get on. :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Good Luck with the operation Colin I hope all goes well.
I saw a consultant some three months ago and was told he could do it quite quickly but I've decided mileage out of the present one before taking the plunge,as the pain is liveable with for the present.
I can happily cycle 70miles a day but can't walk more 3 or 4 :? so I'll hang on a bit.

I know two people who've had both hips done and another two who've had one done,all cyclists,and all say they've been given a new lease of life :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin mitchell

Post by colin mitchell »

Well everyone. The operation of a full replacement was carried out on 1st August. Had to stay in hospital over the weekend, the physio's had be out of bed and walking the next morning and in the afternoon I past the stair test. Had to wait till Monday for discharge. I don't believe that the hospital food had any nutritional value at all . Little fresh produce and a lot of high fat, salt and sugar snacks. I walked with only one crutch on Wednesday and completed a 1/4 round trip walking to the local paper shop today. Have trouble sleeping on my back and feet swell in the evening but all round pleased.steadying now till I can walk unaided in the house. The advice on being fit to start will is good as I must have been the thinnest there. Might survive to my 71st birthday in March now!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Glad to ear it went well.

Do keep us up to date with progress.

Ian
colin mitchell

Post by colin mitchell »

Just past 6 weeks now. Am going to try a Watt bike trainer tomorrow. No load, slightly raised saddle to lessen knee bend. Have been walking without aid for tree weeks and it seems pretty good. To see the surgeon next week and hopefully the all clear to drive and bend beyond the 90 degree point of knee and hip :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hope the recovery progresses smoothly,all the best :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden