Advice from frame builders about tall bike construction.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mick skinner

Advice from frame builders about tall bike construction.

Post by mick skinner »

Hi there,

I've got an old mountain bike frame and an On-one Pompino frame that I want to convert into a tall bike. I plan to have to mountain bike as the bottom and the Pomp on the top.

My plan is to have the front end of the two frames attached by a very long head tube. Then, having cut the rear triangle off the Pomp have the bottom bracket shell of it attached part way up from the rear end of the top tube of the mountain bike frame (probably with some reinforcement between the top tube and the seat tube of the mountain bike frame).

My two questions are;

Is this whole project feasible?

and,

Will it be necessary to have extra long seat stays between the top of the seat tube of the Pomp and the rear drop outs of the mountain bike frame?

Thanks.
Neilo

Re: Advice from frame builders about tall bike construction.

Post by Neilo »

If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

I saw one of these on the Cycle Show the other day (when they did the night ride). Then just googled it when I saw your question.

This is a genuine question, and if I could figure it out myself I wouldn't need to ask....but, what is the appeal of one of these?

Thanks in advance
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Fair play for giving it a go, love it. A google images search provides plenty of examples https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tall+ ... 62&bih=553

Looks like anything over a fairly modest height, extending the wheel base is going to be the hardest part. How high do you want to go?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

How on earth do you get on and off unless you are leaning up against a wall ?