ID tab

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dave W

ID tab

Post by Dave W »

Just thought I'd show you this. It's an id tab that sticks to your helmet. Friend of mine picked some up from work - apparently they are fitted to their safety helmets for whatever job he does. (I don't ask) :wink:
Fit nicely on my helmet.
id tab 2.jpg
Vantage

Re: ID tab

Post by Vantage »

I keep my wallet on me when I'm out. I assume that's what most people would look for to i.d me should anything less than pleasant happen to me.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Brilliant idea, as I have one of those in my draw at work

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Do you have an especially dangerous desk job?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

When I'm not doing paper work, I fix wind turbines, so paper work, not particularly dangerous, but the job that generates it, slightly more so. I don't need the helmet sticker for work, as they already know all the NOK stuff.

Neil
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Neilo wrote: ............they already know all the NOK stuff.
I spent my service career with them knowing my "next of kin stuff". Excellent too, and we filled a form in regularly to confirm the facts, plus it was stored ashore just in case the ship went down.

The thing is, in any job, the system knows who you are and can recall the info from the files to inform the people who matter. Out on a bike, or jogging, walking, hiking, you can be on your own and miles from home and anyone who may know you. It's a very very very good idea to carry some form of ID just in case the worst happens.
Mick F. Cornwall
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I have dog tags, bought from Amazon (hangs head in shame) About £3 engraved. I have my ID, next of kin phone number, various medication I am on and the fact that I'm diabetic.
'Kernow bys Vyken'
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well they had something similar on the Cycle Show, most of the show is pants but did have bamboo frame a 1914 TDF bike(flip flop wheel 2 speed) with cork brake shoes a 1957 bike 5 speed and a CF bike to compare on a 3.5 mile TT course.

Its a pity that they did'nt spend more time on the TDF bikes through the ages.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Hmmm, I think tbh this is redundant/overkill, how many people have there EVER being were the authorities couldn't ID a person whom had died or had a severe enough injury not to be able to say, in a fairly short space of time?..single figures in a year tops. I know it happens but it is so extremely rare..the simle fact is we only have around 100 cycling related deaths per year..how many of those have there being where they couldn't ID the person.
I often go out and have literally just the front door key, I have a modern android phone but I won't take that with me all the time either even on 40-50 mile rides.

I think with people now having phones for their 'security' blanket many won't necessarily have another form of ID on them when out cycling but unless you are a loner with little to no contact with anyone else from day to day how long do you think it'll take for a family member to become worried if you don't return from your bike trip..not that long I would warrant.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Well they had something similar on the Cycle Show, most of the show is pants but did have bamboo frame a 1914 TDF bike(flip flop wheel 2 speed) with cork brake shoes a 1957 bike 5 speed and a CF bike to compare on a 3.5 mile TT course.

Its a pity that they did'nt spend more time on the TDF bikes through the ages.................

That made me chuckle..a 50 year old 10 speed (it was a double clanger at the front) only 30 seconds (approx 6%) slower than the CF Venge and Hutch openly admitted the Corsa was a lot comfier.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems to me we are talking about the speed with which the identification and notification take place. As I said on the other thread, if somebody is dead they are dead. There's no point in adding an unnecessary period of waiting to all the eventual pain of bereavement. It hardly seems to be overkill to carry a bit of paper with your home phone number or similar. Particularly in the days when I used to use my Berlingo as a mobile bike shed, I used to carry a note with the ignition key saying where I had left it parked. The whereabouts of the car would have been insignificant in the context of being badly hurt, but to start getting separate inquiries about all the tickets being accumulated for overstaying would be an unnecessary extra hassle.

No compulsion here - just do what you are comfortable with.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tonyf33 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

That made me chuckle..a 50 year old 10 speed (it was a double clanger at the front) only 30 seconds (approx 6%) slower than the CF Venge and Hutch openly admitted the Corsa was a lot comfier.

1953 TdeF
total distance=4479km
longest stage=345km
highest point Col d'Izoard 2369m
8 mountain stages
Average speed 34.6kph

2013 TdeF
Total dist=3403km
longest stage=242km
highest point Col de Pailheres 2001m
7 mountain stages
Average speed=40.5kph

Taking into consideration that in 1953 a lot of the big mountains were gravel and that service wasn't as readily available to riders,hence riders carrying spare tubs,friction shifting,10sp(5x2)nutrition not being as good,etc,etc.
Not to mention the race was 1,000km longer and the longest stage being 100km longer,6kph isn't such a big difference is it?

Take the 1963 tour with similar bikes to the '53 edition:-
Total dist=4140km
Longest stage=285km
Highest point Colde l'Iseran 2770m
7 mountain stages
Average speed=37.1kph

A 3kph difference
Again not much difference and there was still plenty of gravel climbs to go at,even in to the '70's.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Mick F wrote: Out on a bike, or jogging, walking, hiking, you can be on your own and miles from home and anyone who may know you. It's a very very very good idea to carry some form of ID just in case the worst happens.

That's why I've nicked the helmet tag from work.
My wife has piece of paper in her hand bag with all that NOK stuff on it, she's done it since before I knew her.
Some people have asked me why I put my wallet in my ruck sack when I go out in the hills. They say "why do you need your wallet, there's nothing to buy up there" My response is "to identify my body" morbid, maybe, but a possibility none the less.

Neil
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

I don't suppose you actually need to be dead for it to be useful - unconscious might suffice. I've had it stuck on my helmet for six months now - it was reading the other thread about that poor chap who wasn't identified for a while that jogged my memory. I rarely carry a wallet with me, although I normally have a phone.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Can somebody explain to me the link between bamboo bike frames and ID tags? :? I'm thinking of a submission to the Guinness Book of Records. :wink: