Hardest UK climb?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David_S

Re: Hardest UK climb?

Postby David_S » 19 Aug 2014, 8:52pm

Tonyf33 wrote:BNB is 5th most difficult http://climbbybike.com/most_difficult_c ... inID=15726 but doesn't mention Winnats so not sure how complete the listings are there..

I'd take climbbybike with several pinches of salt. Number 3 on that list is a fell walk up Scafell Pike!

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 25 Aug 2014, 10:17pm

Another one. The climb out of Deepdale going from Dent to Kingsdale. I believe there have been fatalities coming down this one.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 25 Aug 2014, 10:21pm

Hi,
Its marked as Bridleway on map but didnt the poster say it was tarmac :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 26 Aug 2014, 8:13am

To categorise a hill in the big French race, a baseline unit was established. This was the energy taken to propel the car 10 km along the flat at 20kmh.

A hill is categorised on the car’s energy requirement to get from the base to summit.
All done at 20 kmh, resulting multiple of the car’s fuel use tells the Category of the hill.

Therefore, the difficulty of a hill is on how much total energy is required, not the gradient alone.
With a low enough gear, a cyclist could climb a 40% if it was 50 m long. He may not be able to climb that 40% if it went up for 1 km.
The 50 m long 40% wouldn’t qualify as a hill, and the 1 km long 40% would be a Cat 2.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 26 Aug 2014, 8:46am

We were in Crete (briefly) and I looked at the road map of the island. One hill struck me as a wonderful cycling road. 9miles from almost sea level to 2,600ft via hairpin zig-zag bends.

Pity I didn't have the time or the bike to do it. :oops:
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/715989

Have a look at in in Google Streetview.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=crete& ... 12,45,,0,0
Mick F. Cornwall

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 26 Aug 2014, 10:30am

Mick F wrote:I said earlier that in the past I'd ridden up Buttertubs and up Rosedale Chimney Bank. They are good clean roads, just steep. Get into bottom gear and grind your way up.

What amazed me while waiting for the TdeF on one of the steepest sections of Buttertubs was the bikes that were being cycled (not pushed) up. They included Bromptons, tandems, bikes with kiddie trailers and kids attached, trailer bikes, touring bikes loaded with panniers....... About the only types I didn't see were bents and unicycles. And the local whippets on road bikes were going up much quicker than Jens Voigt went up it in a solo breakaway.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 26 Aug 2014, 10:36am

Ayesha wrote:To categorise a hill in the big French race, a baseline unit was established. This was the energy taken to propel the car 10 km along the flat at 20kmh.

A hill is categorised on the car’s energy requirement to get from the base to summit.
All done at 20 kmh, resulting multiple of the car’s fuel use tells the Category of the hill.

Therefore, the difficulty of a hill is on how much total energy is required, not the gradient alone.
With a low enough gear, a cyclist could climb a 40% if it was 50 m long. He may not be able to climb that 40% if it went up for 1 km.
The 50 m long 40% wouldn’t qualify as a hill, and the 1 km long 40% would be a Cat 2.

wasn't it whether a 2CV could get up the climb in a certain gear rather than how much energy expended, 1st cat being the hardest and thus first gear for the vehicle to get up it?

As for the energy for a car to catergorise..I don't see how that is comparable to a human riding up as a humans varies hugely. their energy/effort levels required are not the same even though the hills/mountains themselves may have a very similar profile.
For quite some time the catergory has also being dependant on the positioning of the climb on that days route and what climbs came before and comes after. An HC after say 50 miles may well be 'easier' compared to a 1st or even 2nd catergory climb toward the end of the same ride. Different years have seen catergories changed for the same climbs..

Additionally doesn't the effect of altitude mean a motor vehicle uses LESS fuel relatively speaking to one at lower altitiudes meaning more difficult clinbs higher up could/would be judged as not quite as difficult using the how much used in fuel indicator??

Bicycler

Postby Bicycler » 26 Aug 2014, 5:45pm

Haven't many of the climbs been categorised differently in different years? I'm not sure there's any scientific basis to the classification

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 28 Aug 2014, 12:12am

For info:
"100 Greatest Cycling Climbs - A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills" by Simon Warren is available for £1.19 on Kindle Daily Deal until 23:59 on Thursday night

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 28 Aug 2014, 7:18am

Mick F wrote:We were in Crete (briefly) and I looked at the road map of the island. One hill struck me as a wonderful cycling road. 9miles from almost sea level to 2,600ft via hairpin zig-zag bends.

Pity I didn't have the time or the bike to do it. :oops:
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/715989

Have a look at in in Google Streetview.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=crete& ... 12,45,,0,0

The toughest hill in the world. IMHO !! :D

TF-21 from La Orotava up to the hotel at the base of the cable car on Mt Teide, Tenerife. 38 km, approx. 2200 m elevation. 5.75% average.

Pro teams train up there. I saw ONCE and Festina.

For me, it was a five and a half hour drudge, stopping several times to drink and eat something. June 1993 on a Peugeot 531 weighing 22.5 lb. 38 x 23 lowest. Early in the morning before the air heated. Arriving back to Puerto de la Cruz mid afternoon was like riding into an open oven.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 28 Aug 2014, 10:14am

Ayesha wrote:The toughest hill in the world. IMHO !! :D
TF-21 from La Orotava up to the hotel at the base of the cable car on Mt Teide, Tenerife. 38 km, approx. 2200 m elevation. 5.75% average

Granada to the top of Pico Veleta - 43km at 6.2% average, ~700m to 3390m, with the tough bit at the top (as well as 10% and unsurfaced, you are running out of puff at that altitude). Nothing like getting the cycling holiday off to a good start with a good climb the first day! I liked it so much I did it again the next day :D .

The toughest hill in the world is the Scanuppia in northern Italy - 7.5 km at 17.6% average, 45% max (according to the sign at the bottom).
Climbbybike thinks it's Mauna Kea, 68.6 km at 6.1% average, but their ratings prioritise length over steepness, but length is just a matter of keeping going and generally not a problem if you aren't racing.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 28 Aug 2014, 11:30am

Since we're doing foreign, I was planning on doing this http://goo.gl/maps/aR0Ef - the hairpin bends over the col to Soller in Mallorca, later in the year. Anyone done that one and care to comment on it?

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 28 Aug 2014, 1:24pm

I am reliably told by one of my colleagues that the downward travelator in ASDA, Andover beats Latif’s in Birmingham.

13% gradient vs 8%.

phil parker

Postby phil parker » 28 Aug 2014, 2:16pm

Ayesha wrote:I am reliably told by one of my colleagues that the downward travelator in ASDA, Andover beats Latif’s in Birmingham.

13% gradient vs 8%.

Well, I never knew that, I've been up and down that travelator a few times, I'll have to take my Garmin Edge and see if it goes fast enough for me to confirm that on my gradient setting!

niggle

Postby niggle » 28 Aug 2014, 5:29pm

Last year whilst cycle camping in Devon in hot sunny weather I had to walk 1/4 of the total climb of Nutcombe Hill out of Combe Martin, which Bike Hike says is 22%, then an hour or so later I changed my route when I saw the bottom of the hill I had planned to go up from the Hunter's Inn in Trentishoe: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Trenti ... 12,90,,0,0

The sign might say 25% but it looked far worse and Bike Hike agrees giving 37% as the gradient for the first 100m or so. To me it looked like I would not be able to push the loaded bike up, never mind ride up it.

Now re that hill in St. Mawes: with a quick hop across on the King Harry Ferry I could get down there to have a go in a couple of hours. I have found this photo of St Mawes Parish Church:

and St Mawes Parish Church is on Church Hill in St Mawes (!). This is the start to Church Hill: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=St+Maw ... =12,0,,0,0 as noted the Google car has not been up it.... Bike Hike says maximum gradient is 22%, and it is a very short climb so it ought to be possible for a fit rider on an unloaded bike.