Consett to Penrith

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kev2962

Consett to Penrith

Post by kev2962 »

Hello,

In a couple of weeks Im cycling on the road from Consett to Penrith, I have cycled to Alston on lots of occasions and use the A689. From there I intend to go straight along the A686 into Penrith. Ive drove the route before and from what I remember it was not a speedy or dangerous route, has anyone cycled it before and was it reasonably safe for a road bike?

Regards Kev
Dean

Re: Consett to Penrith

Post by Dean »

Dead easy. It can get a bit fast and heavy near Penrith around rush hour, but only by comparison to how quiet it usually is.

If you're bothered, you can take the right turning for Renwick about a mile down the hill from Hartside Cafe (easy to miss as you'll be flying by then), and follow lanes to Kirkoswald and into the back of Penrith. Does add hills, from memory.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Dean wrote:Dead easy. It can get a bit fast and heavy near Penrith around rush hour, but only by comparison to how quiet it usually is.

Yeah, I'd go as far as to say it's enjoyable. It helps that there's a lot of downhill :D A couple of those bends down from Hartside Summit are proper hairpins so don't get too carried away...
kev2962

Post by kev2962 »

Thanks a lot chaps, I did the Hartside Duathlon last year which started in Langwathby, so I thought the road was nice and quiet. I will take a look at the possible detour as suggested, and do that or the 686.

I will be hitting Penrith around midday so shouldnt be any traffic, I will be cycling past Cowshill too, so hope to avoid that HUGE sinkhole!

Cheers Kev
Dean

Post by Dean »

Ha. I didn't get the connection until someone mentioned it:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-28927743

That is one scary-looking hole.
kev2962

Post by kev2962 »

For the ride I have planned Iam actually on route to Keswick for the weekend, and I was going to meet the wife at Penrith and then drive to Keswick from there. Does anyone know a decent route just to cycle onto Keswick (through Penrith)?

Cheers Kev
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

kev2962 wrote:For the ride I have planned Iam actually on route to Keswick for the weekend, and I was going to meet the wife at Penrith and then drive to Keswick from there. Does anyone know a decent route just to cycle onto Keswick (through Penrith)?

Cheers Kev

I haven't done it myself but I understand it's cycle path most of the way, with a few diversions.
loafer

Post by loafer »

kev2962 wrote:For the ride I have planned Iam actually on route to Keswick for the weekend, and I was going to meet the wife at Penrith and then drive to Keswick from there. Does anyone know a decent route just to cycle onto Keswick (through Penrith)?

Cheers Kev

you could use part of the c2c route :D heres our info just work backwards :lol

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188717207 also theres a great tea stop at greystoke http://www.greystokecyclecafe.co.uk/ :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

At the Penrith end there are several sections of the old A66 running parallel to the road which you can use. At the other end there's the old railway from Threlkeld to Keswick, which is beautiful.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche