Why are bikes so expensive…

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: Why are bikes so expensive…

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:pete75 your bike looks like my Dawes 1-Down now I have got it sorted

dawes 1-down.jpg

Yep and it looks like we both have longish legs......
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

Dave W wrote:At what price does a bike become expensive?

Yoda, in "Cycling for Jedis", wrote:'Affordable' or 'not affordable'. There is no 'expensive'.
E25
c53204

Post by c53204 »

It's all relative....

I would never spend £1000 on a shirt, some people do.

I buy stuff that I think will last a long time and be reliable. You can however pay way over the odds for something that is outdated very quickly and cost the Earth - Formula one cars, MotoGP bikes, oh and racing (pro) level bicycles.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Disagree with OP, not expensive, you can buy bog standard from Halfords. Surely price is relative, spend whatever you want, it's all down to individual choice? Personally, bought a pedelec, thought it was something I would never do, for physio after a bad accident. We already have eight bikes between the two of us, it cost £1500, worth every penny!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bikes cost what you will pay.

Choose your spec, shop around, choose a label, pay your price.

My main bike (trike actually) would be ~£3.5k to replace as it's kitted out at the moment, but then it is my main form of transport - it's cheaper than most cars (given that it's now done nearly 4 years and retains the vast majority of it's value) and costs me ~£100-£150 a year on things like tyres/brakes/drive train maintenance/parts.

My upwrong cost me ~£100 second (third? fourth?) hand, with the few "extras" I've put on (including gearing changes) it will total under £200 including Carradice luggage front and rear. That does include some items out of stock (bars the came off a friends wrecked allez, old aero levers and brake cables).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

And to put into perspective, the obsession with and economy built around petrol engines is literally costing us the earth.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Someone has said (I can't seem to work the quote thing) that "As a price comparison, in 1940, the Claude Butler Tour d'Angleterre full 531 race bike was £17.17.00"
A quick search and the pay for a labourer in 1940 was £2.43 for a 50 hour week. To buy the Claude Butler he would have to work 367 hours. Today 367 hours at minimum wage is £2387
These all look very good value in comparison
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pu/road-t ... dition/1ra
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:Any bling draped Mamils here who have the answer? Or are CTC Forum members more pragmatic?

What would be your maximum sensible spend?

I agree with the early commenters: looking at the top end of the market is misleading. The maximum can be anything, the minimum is rarely below zero.

CTC Forum members probably are more pragmatic: if nothing else, the steady stream of second-hand adverts on here are informative.

I think my maximum sensible spend would be about £500, but there are some dribblingly gorgeous new bikes in the £500-900 bracket. For comparison, I've spent between £0 and £300 on bikes in the past but always kept some £ in reserve because they've never come with everything I wanted and new bikes often seem incompatible with the parts of the one replaced: 27x1¼ racer to 700c hybrid was the worst for that.

Things seem to be a bit odd in the £900-1000 range. Is it a consequence of compromising features to squeeze under the cycle to work scheme limit?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I don't think they are expensive - on average. But, the lid has come off at the top end of the range. Even Cycling plus never used to have many bikes over £3k, now ones in the £5k band are not unusual and the £10k 'superbike' has emerged. So, I guess some folk are prepared to pay this kind of price :shock:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Disagree with OP, not expensive, you can buy bog standard from Halfords. Surely price is relative, spend whatever you want, it's all down to individual choice? Personally, bought a pedelec, thought it was something I would never do, for physio after a bad accident. We already have eight bikes between the two of us, it cost £1500, worth every penny!

Dont misunderstand me, I just posted this because I think its a daft observation. I think that most people who post here are cycle tourists although in my direct experience most CTC members arent. And, most of us just buy bikes between £300 to £1500 although a few invest in a Rohlhoff equipped Thorn or similar for a bit more. It seems to be the roadies who go for expensive bling bikes. I speak to quite a few Mamils on my rides and they all seem very proud of their expensive machines which are only very slightly better than a £400 Decathlon road bike. Its all about the 'designer' syndrome IMO. ie style over substance

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
honesty

Post by honesty »

I do think style over substance has a little to do with it, but in my view its actually the law of diminishing returns that has a greater impact. Its easier and cheaper to go from a bike design that is 12kg to 10kg, than it is to go from 10kg to 8kg, which in turn is easier than 8kg to 6kg, and so on.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Someone thinks bikes are so expensive obviously never see for sale adverts like this viewtopic.php?f=40&t=89954
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Bikes are generally overpriced for what they are. A cursory comparison of bike prices with motorbike prices or car prices bears this out, you get much less for your money when buying a bicycle. Are bike makers incredibly inefficient or are profit margins overly fat?
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/how-mu ... 280/012014

From the horse's mouth. 2011 vintage.

Have to wait for 2014 figures next year.
Last edited by Ayesha on 29 Aug 2014, 3:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

andrewk wrote:Bikes are generally overpriced for what they are. A cursory comparison of bike prices with motorbike prices or car prices bears this out, you get much less for your money when buying a bicycle. Are bike makers incredibly inefficient or are profit margins overly fat?
I sort of agree with you, but there's something at the back of my mind that says I don't.

Bikes have an enormous amount of small highly-accurate bits. Accurate bearings for instance aren't cheap to manufacture especially in the smaller sizes that a bike requires. Also, there's economy of scale for the production line. Cars are built by robots by the million worldwide, no doubt bikes could be too, but I don't think many folk reading this would want a Model T Ford of a bicycle.
Mick F. Cornwall