Camera

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
binsted

Camera

Post by binsted »

After a near miss today and the subsequent abuse from the unrepentant motorist I am seriously considering a camera on the bike. As I know nothing about cameras looking for advice on a small cheap unit to go on the bars. Any recommendations?
SaintMatt

Re: Camera

Post by SaintMatt »

binsted wrote:After a near miss today and the subsequent abuse from the unrepentant motorist I am seriously considering a camera on the bike. As I know nothing about cameras looking for advice on a small cheap unit to go on the bars. Any recommendations?

Plenty of choice on the market. Personally I've got a GoPro, they come in different versions. Depending on how much you want to spend.
I think Vehoo do some good little cameras as well although never used them. Any help with A Gopro then just shout!!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Helmet mount is better as it sees what you see
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Whch GoPro to go for?
I've seen black, white and maybe silver all different prices - what's the difference, memory or pixels or something?

Quick search brings up something like this http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainpr ... tAod-xIACA
Which doesn't seem a bad price to me but I don't know much about them. I am also interested in using one one in another application as an inspection camera downloading to an iphone or tablet one day.
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

Dave W wrote:Whch GoPro to go for?
I've seen black, white and maybe silver all different prices - what's the difference, memory or pixels or something?

Quick search brings up something like this http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainpr ... tAod-xIACA
Which doesn't seem a bad price to me but I don't know much about them. I am also interested in using one one in another application as an inspection camera downloading to an iphone or tablet one day.

Take a look at this GoPro Comparison, it compares the 3 different GoPro's and shows the different features. In a nutshell though the Black is the top of the range, silver is mid range, white is basic model.

All 3 have wifi connectivity though and allow you to connect to an iphone/ipad with the GoPro app. (Have only used apple kit, but believe there is an app for Android).
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Don't use Simple Electronics, they are based in the Far East but come off as though they are UK. Unless you don't mind waiting a while for your product.

Dave
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

The Sony AS100, excellent camera and by far the best in low light conditions, quite important with the nights drawing in.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I suppose it depends on your defination of what is cheap, but 35 quid seemed ok for me and I'm poor as they come.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... UTF8&psc=1

I have 2 of these and quality is questionable at best, but both still work a year after I bought them. The front one has good video quality but terrible sound quality and the battery lasts around 3.5 hours. The rear one has worse video quality, better sound quality but not great and the battery only lasts around 2.5 hours and is the newer of the two.
You'll need at least a class 6 micro SD card but even that can leave you with jittery film. I use a class 10 which seems fine. Unless you want the card to fill up before the battery dies, you'll be wanting that card to hold at least 16GB.
There's only one button to worry about on the top of the camera. Press and hold to turn it on and then press again to start recording. Press and hold again to turn it off. Simples :)
The helmet mount if you choose to use it is a big lump of velcro with an elastic band sewed to it which sticks to another velcro pad which is stuck to your helmet. If you don't wear a helmet you're stuffed unless you stick it directly to your head, but removing it could prove painful.
The handlebar mount whilst sturdy is poorly designed imo. Some of the plastic holding the cam had to be ground away so the power/record button could be used and there is no left/right adjustablility which you might need in some situations. This mount http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... UTF8&psc=1 will still need some diy grinding work to allow clamping while not fouling the switch gets around that problem and also opens up other mounting options, such as on the bike frame itself.
There are better cams out there if you don't mind spending upwards of £150 for gopro's and such, but these little gems do the job fine.

Edit: So far both cams have proven to be perfectly hurricane driven rain proof, I wouldn't go scuba diving with them though.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

Cunobelin wrote:Helmet mount is better as it sees what you see

+1

Looking for one with a roll over recording, so for example has the last four hours rather than the file having to be deleted.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.