dynamo wheels - pricing and where from

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
samsbike

dynamo wheels - pricing and where from

Post by samsbike »

I have been reading about this on the forum and they seem like a good idea. However, I am confused about prices - per the forum it seemed that 2 years ago, you could get a mavic rim and 80 series shimano hub for £60. Looking at prices now it seems to be closer to £150 (same retailer Rose Bikes) - am I missing something or have prices moved north so much?

I just want a wheel for commuting, which is about 3 hrs a day and this would take the faff out of hooking up lights, charging etc
rualexander

Re: dynamo wheels - pricing and where from

Post by rualexander »

bike-discount.de have some decent dynohub wheels in the £90-£100 price range http://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/whe ... y-217/l-24
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Thanks I missed those.
honesty

Post by honesty »

For dynamo hubs and wheels it seems to be a heck of a lot cheaper to order from Germany than buy from British retailers...
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/atb- ... aid:484624

Bit more than I paid at £77 but the rim is slightly better
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

fatboy wrote:http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/atb-front-wheel-28700-c-dh-3n80---a-719/aid:484624

Bit more than I paid at £77 but the rim is slightly better

cheers - just need to find out if they can do that in a 6 bolt disc version.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

taylor-wheels-co-uk . these people seem to have some quite cheap dyno hubs - here is an example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231103011460?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They have lots of wheels for sale on ebay at what seem to be good prices
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

Spa Cycles have an offer on for wheelbuilding at the moment, and are true experts
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

uppadine wrote:Spa Cycles have an offer on for wheelbuilding at the moment, and are true experts

I checked their site but the Rose bikes is likely to come out at £100 with the bits I need to fit a 6 bolt disc and I cant see any shimano hubs on Spa's page.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

samsbike wrote:
uppadine wrote:Spa Cycles have an offer on for wheelbuilding at the moment, and are true experts

I checked their site but the Rose bikes is likely to come out at £100 with the bits I need to fit a 6 bolt disc and I cant see any shimano hubs on Spa's page.

Rose also do dynamo lights at very reasonable prices compared to UK retailers.
I've had Rose wheels as have other people I know. None of us have had any problems with them.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
youngteam

Post by youngteam »

I've just bought a wheel built with a DH-3D72 from http://www.taylor-wheels.com/28-zoll-vo ... 2812000339 Arrived fairly quickly and looks good to me, not given it much of a test yet mind.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

youngteam, I will be interested your further comments when u have used it a lot, as their prices are really low for decent specced wheels. I dont see any point in getting a hand built front wheel, factory built wheels are good enough I think? I cant say I have ever broken a spoke on a front wheel and they dont have any dishing issues.
youngteam

Post by youngteam »

Has been used all week on my commute and all seems good so far. Not sure it's perfectly true, but nothing major. Will update once it's seen some bad weather :)
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

In the end Rose did one for £100 inc a disc mount adaptor. I stuck with a mavic a319 rim so it can be used on both disc and calliper braked bikes.