Langthwaite to Booze gradient?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Milfred Cubicle

Langthwaite to Booze gradient?

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Does anybody know what the steepest gradient is on this fabulously tricky climb? The insides of the tight corners must be around 1 in 4, if not more.
531colin

Re: Langthwaite to Booze gradient?

Post by 531colin »

I have only ever been down it, it didn't strike me as being anything special.
But the questions are piling up in my head.......
How does somebody from Durham even know its there?
Where are you going, the tarmac stops at Booze?
If you are looking for a great track, follow Arkle Beck from Langthwaite, past Storthwaite Hall to the hamlet of Hurst, with its 2 chimneys, then down Fremington Edge to Reeth
Or if you must visit Booze (and I can see the point) you could strike north then turn east on the Moresdale "road" to Schoolmaster Pasture.......
Dean

Post by Dean »

It's bare miles within the current border with Durham, so why not? :)

For a laugh, I'd also recommend the Goats Road between Schoolmaster Pasture and Holgate, the next time you're down there.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I prefer Helwith Bridge to the Goats road......
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

A few answers for you...
As a teenager, my girlfriend's parents used to rent a cottage in Booze, that's how I came to find it.
I like climbing steep hills.
From my house, over the Stang to Langthwaite, Reeth, Richmond gives me a nice 75 miler, good training hills too.
I ride a cyclocross bike, and was doing a bit of exploration...
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Nice to find a couple of kindred spirits.....
Can I recommend Barnard Castle, Greta Bridge, Barningham, turn right before Newsham, up over the top, then a choice of tarmac or the Helwith Bridge track to Marske and then Reeth (via Marrick and Marrick Priory, if you like.....
Dean

Post by Dean »

531colin wrote:I prefer Helwith Bridge to the Goats road......

Ah, don't think I know that. I take it it's a bit more ridable than the Goats Road? I know a lot round there, but haven't ridden most of it in years.

I rode Darlo-Newsham-Holgate-Goats Road and down to Reeth to watch le tour earlier this year. The Goats Road reminded me of the Annapurna trail.

I might pick your brains a bit about ridable trails around there, Colin - though there are plenty round Teesdale and Stainmore to explore, too. I have an OS map and I'm not afraid to use it!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Helwith track was a smooth, grassy track less than 30 years ago when I first started riding it.....then came the motors.....
Its scenic rather than rideable now......the goats road leads to that marvellous crossroads on the moor where 2 of the 4 roads are dead ends, yes? Well, the other dead end is the Helwith Bridge track, it will take you almost to Marske.
A few swaledale tracks here https://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/collections/72157636262815613/
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

I hadn't heard of this place so googled it and found this: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/3562647.A_bit_steep_as_Booze_receives_its_last_post/

I love Arkengarthdale, must go there again some time.