Aldi cycle kit..

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PaulS

Re: Aldi cycle kit..

Post by PaulS »

Looks like they don't sell the maintenance stands now. Shame.
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

Anyone bought the tights? Coolmax insert?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

PaulS wrote:Looks like they don't sell the maintenance stands now. Shame.

Not in this particular sale, but it does not mean they will not again in the future.... the contents of the sales often change from season to season and year to year.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
niggle

Post by niggle »

Went to the Truro store first thing and there were no medium size mens merino base layer tops, only L or XL :evil: Fortunately had to go to Camborne for work and managed to grab two from the Camborne store at lunch time :D At first glance they seem every bit as good as my Endura one that cost more than twice as much. Also got a balaclava and the ordinary winter gloves, having concluded the lobster gloves would not work with Ergos as I use my middle finger on its own to shift.
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

karlt wrote:
don1 wrote:Apparently there is a voucher in Thursdays daily mail. Spend £45 and get £5 off.

That involves finding a discarded copy of the filthy rag, because I'd be buggered before I'd let Dacre have a penny of mine.

You don't need to buy the Daily Mail. The voucher for £5 off a £40 spend was in the Daily Mirror !!

I cycled to my local Aldi ( 11 miles ! ) and the stuff I picked up came to £39.95. So I just picked up a copy of The Mirror from the large pile just inside the door and got the lot for £35.50.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Bought some "performance" winter socks. Nothing else really took my fancy and it was a mess when I got there this afternoon.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

PaulS wrote
Looks like they don't sell the maintenance stands now. Shame.

They had them in my local Aldi but as that's on the Isle of Wight I don't suppose it's any use to you!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Neil C wrote:
You don't need to buy the Daily Mail. The voucher for £5 off a £40 spend was in the Daily Mirror !!
I cycled to my local Aldi ( 11 miles ! ) and the stuff I picked up came to £39.95. So I just picked up a copy of The Mirror from the large pile just inside the door and got the lot for £35.50.

Oh, pants. Despite missing out on the voucher, I'm quite pleased with my shopping spree but time will tell whether they're as good value as I hope:

Ladies merino top & longjohns – very comfortable and the top is cut long at the back which is a plus. I've always bought Icebreaker merino when I could find them discounted. These seem to be of comparable quality.

Cycling compression leggings – took a punt on this as I don't like padded tights. Surprisingly warm and holds the tum in nicely with no unsightly bulging :D .
Microfibre towel – very soft and light, useful for touring.
Lobster gloves – seem warmer than my standard winter ones. Waterproofness to be tested.
Legwarmers – recommended by a fellow shopper. Unlike my old ones, these apparently don't fall down :oops: .
Micro LED lights + reflector bands with LED lights – useful as back ups.
Spoke reflectors – already do a good job on one bike so I'll be getting some more for my shopper.

The chap in front of me bought even more. For our combined spend, we could probably have bought Aldi :shock:
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Has anyone here tried the 'Sealskinz' socks copies they have in Aldi cycling baskets at the moment?

£12.99. I'd like to hear of anyone has tried them in testing conditions.
Si

Post by Si »

i work with someone who uses them and thinks them very good.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

report:
My local one wasn't a bun fight, and when I got there mine was the only bike in the car park....plenty of sizes of stuff, and still lots on Friday when I went back. (Stone branch)

The leggings were all too long for me (no news there) but didn't have a highly shaped knee, only a fairly gentle curve, so I will be able to alter the smallest pair to fit me. Took home, tried out, went back and bought a second pair (I've learned the hard way that if you're a funny size, anything that fits, or can be made to fit, you buy two). They were broad in the cut, which suits me because I have thick legs, but might be too baggy for people of more normal proportions. They do have zips at the bottom which makes them a nice close fit.

Microfibre towel is nice and soft, and a reasonable size, not one of those things the size of a pocket hanky which are like a chamois leather and leave you as wet as when you started.

Water proof trousers- smallest size far too long for my short legs (not surprising and easy to fix, as have two wrap-around Velcro straps at the bottom, so I can crop below the higher one) also, however, absolutely huge in the width of the leg even on Ladies size 12/14 (though waist is okay). They'd fit a hippopotamus in leg diameter; I could get both legs into one, and I have chunky legs. But as I only want them for emergencies, or as a windproof warm layer if I stop to paint, they'll do fine.

Spoke reflectors - rest of household immediately found other uses for them too so I returned and got two more packets. :?

Reflective and flashing LED anklets- I rarely go out in the dark, but thought they would do the job quite well for the odd occasion. You get 4 in a pack, so could share the purchase with a friend. Also on the large size, but very adjustable to fit.

Socks- I got a pair to try out, haven't yet.

Underlayers I get too hot for with just one fleece even on the coldest days> Jackets I don't need, but like the other things looked rather broad in the cut, I'd try on before buying.
Ottocat

Post by Ottocat »

Sooper8 wrote:Has anyone here tried the 'Sealskinz' socks copies they have in Aldi cycling baskets at the moment?

Don't bother in my experience every time I have worn seal skins in heavier rain they have been worse than normal socks they fill up with water and it's like haveing two sloshing hot water bottles on your feet
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Ottocat wrote:
Sooper8 wrote:Has anyone here tried the 'Sealskinz' socks copies they have in Aldi cycling baskets at the moment?

Don't bother in my experience every time I have worn seal skins in heavier rain they have been worse than normal socks they fill up with water and it's like haveing two sloshing hot water bottles on your feet

I bought a pair on Thursday, not used them in anger yet, but seem just like my sealskinz.

If you don't wear waterproof trousers the water will run down your legs and into the socks, If you wear water proof trousers, then they work as described. I like them.

I bought some shoes, a top, emergency little lights and the fore mentioned socks.wife had a pair of the long trousers. I was surprised that there was a lot of stuff left when I went there on Thursday evening. my experience is that it sells quickly. This wasn't the shop I have been to in the past, maybe there aren't a lot of cyclists in Goresienon.

Neil

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Those Aldi armbands with the LED lights on - anyone know how long the little cycle computer/calculator style batteries last on them?

I've bought some anyway, as £3.99 for 4 reflective armbands is good value for money even if the lights aren't working.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

blackbike wrote:Those Aldi armbands with the LED lights on - anyone know how long the little cycle computer/calculator style batteries last on them?

I've bought some anyway, as £3.99 for 4 reflective armbands is good value for money even if the lights aren't working.

There seems to be a velcro pocket where the battery is, so I imagine you can change the battery.