Aldi cycle kit..

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Aldi cycle kit..

Post by mjr »

Here's the listing https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... september/

Like I wrote every time, I've had good and awful stuff in these sales, so give it a good prod before you buy.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

Pandaz wrote:I bought a full tool kit 5 years ago still going strong!

The tool kit they're advertising this time round seems to have a lot fewer tools than the one I bought a few years ago...
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Last year I got the merino wool base layer, the waterproof cycling trousers and the winter cycling trousers. The merino wool was a real bargain, good thickness, washes well and makes me wonder why the Smartwool and Icebreaker ones cost so much. The ladies waterproof cycling trousers are too short for me for cycling but I do have long legs so they would be fine for someone shorter. They have kept me dry for dog walking throughout the last very wet winter and are a steal at £9.99 though are probably not breathable enough for very vigorous exercise. The winter cycling trousers were not such a good buy last year as the seam across the front of the lower leg is at knee level (on me at least). The fabric is good though and windproof in the front so just check that knee seam before you buy. The seat pad on both last year's and the previous year's version was very uncomfortable in the ladies version but I unpicked it and just wear padded undershorts for longer rides.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Bought a short sleeve jersey last time round and excellent quality, wish I bought two.
I have some shoes which I got off ebay, Crane, not the triple velcro type, they have them in the up coming sale.
I use them with flat pedals, they have good tread and are probably better suited to flat pedals as opposed to SPD as they are not totally rigid.

Use these with even non rat pedals just road type but not platform, and they grip so your foot does not slip out.
I use them with very cheap plastic pedals which came with my old Halfords MTB, the pedals developed lots of play as the cup wore into the body of pedal.
Took apart and used some liquid metal Plastic padding metal filler to fill gap.
Done several thousand since then with not breakdown of repair.
I used these shoes to get my feet in a certain position, you have to play with pedals shoes and toe clips to achive this.
I have similar set ups on my MTB with similar shoes (Lidl) but I did not want to spend much on pedals and shoes to get the correct position.

Anyway three years ago I cycled a total of 775 miles in three & a bit single day rides, this year I have only managed 168 in 12.5 hrs - 200 in 24 hrs & 246 in one and a bit day. The last two rides a Devon double coast to coast with most of the coast roads thrown in.

I have not suffered lack of support, numb or sore feet and have experienced a near perfect foot action throughout.
Its grippy sole make this a good touring shoe and easy to walk in. Not heavy either.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Flinders wrote:
niggle wrote:I

Their winter gloves are usually good and this years 'lobster' ones look interesting- a similar design of motorcycle glove was renowned for its ability to keep finger tips warm compared to normal separate finger designs.

Are those the strange ones that seem to be divided down the middle? Wondered what on earth they were.

The idea is that two fingers together are warmer than one, but you still get more ability to operate controls than with a full mitten. However it is a judgement call as to whether this will work for one's own brake and gear levers or not.
niggle

Post by niggle »

AMMoffat wrote:Last year I got the merino wool base layer, the waterproof cycling trousers and the winter cycling trousers. The merino wool was a real bargain, good thickness, washes well and makes me wonder why the Smartwool and Icebreaker ones cost so much. The ladies waterproof cycling trousers are too short for me for cycling but I do have long legs so they would be fine for someone shorter. They have kept me dry for dog walking throughout the last very wet winter and are a steal at £9.99 though are probably not breathable enough for very vigorous exercise. The winter cycling trousers were not such a good buy last year as the seam across the front of the lower leg is at knee level (on me at least). The fabric is good though and windproof in the front so just check that knee seam before you buy. The seat pad on both last year's and the previous year's version was very uncomfortable in the ladies version but I unpicked it and just wear padded undershorts for longer rides.

I also use Aldi cycling waterproof trousers for walking and I am short enough that they work on the bike as well (oh lucky me :roll: ).

Re the winter trousers- the 'Performance' ones may be worth paying the extra for as the ones I bought last year have flatter seams as well as being stretchier and having a better pad.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

+ 1 to the Merino base layer

It washes well (a Merino jersey on the other hand from Aldi came apart at the stitching on the second wash - I should have returned it) and seems tough.

The ultrabright top - looks like the design may have changed a bit since the two I bought but maybe the change is only slight. Although some may think it looks a bit naff beardy-socks-sandals it is very good - quite thin but actually ideal to wear when it's quite warm and as part of a layering system when colder. I prefer layering for day to day cycllng anyway.

Merino top and bottoms - wouldn't these make good pajamas to add warmth/a season or half a season to a sleeping bag?

Apologies if that's a terrible idea. Do feel free to tell me.
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I dont know what Merinio is but any cycling top layers you normally have to treat with kid gloves when you wash it :?:
Heat and to much agitation will wreck it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I dont know what Merinio is but any cycling top layers you normally have to treat with kid gloves when you wash it :?:

Merino is a breed of sheep, usually from Australia. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Heat and to much agitation will wreck it.

Merino is wool; a very expensive, soft, but high-performance wool that also isn't scratchy as some wools, like Shetland, can be. All natural wool shrinks if not washed very carefully.

In the old days that meant hand-wash only, cool water, gentle soap powder (like Dreft) designed for wool and silks, and dry slowly, flat, on a mesh over the bath - no spinning or wringing. Wool smells funny when drying. :wink:

Some wools these days are treated to be 'easy wash' and can be washed on special woollen-wash cycles with modern washing powders in the washing machine, or even if labelled to say so, an ordinary cycle. I have some merino mix cycling fleeces like that. They wash well and are great.

However, some merino garments are still hand-wash, cold water, Dreft only, no wring, no-spin. I have some merino cycling socks like that. Any other sort of washing and they'll shrink.

You'd need to check the label of the individual garment.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

I just picked up a 100% merino wool base layer from Decathlon for £7.99 today. If you check out their sale items (although their website can be a bit of a car crash) you can get some real bargains.

I also have the Aldi merino base layer and it's great too.

Even a thin sweater of merino wool, while not quite as 'technical', is also a very handy item to have.

Wash them all in stergene at 30 degrees, delicate cycle.

The only woolly items which don't last for me are socks. They just aren't tough enough.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I might pop in for some arm warmers, i have a pair that i have used for a few years now and the cuff has stretched so it lets in a draft around the wrist but otherwise they do a good job .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

From what I hear locally, it's going to be pretty busy in there on Thursday. Several people have been spreading the word where Mr Ortho works..............
don1

Post by don1 »

Apparently there is a voucher in Thursdays daily mail. Spend £45 and get £5 off.
karlt

Post by karlt »

don1 wrote:Apparently there is a voucher in Thursdays daily mail. Spend £45 and get £5 off.

That involves finding a discarded copy of the filthy rag, because I'd be buggered before I'd let Dacre have a penny of mine.