Aldi cycle kit..

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eileithyia

Aldi cycle kit..

Post by eileithyia »

...winter kit instore on 25th Sept for anyone interested.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
blackbike

Re: Aldi cycle kit..

Post by blackbike »

That light set is the same one as last year.

I bought one and the front light was useless and kept going off with every little bump in the road.

I took it back for a refund and the checkout person said they'd had quite a few returned, so I'm surprised they are back on sale this year.

I was quite surprised because Aldi stuff is usually good.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

What are the leg warmers like- anyone had this sort before?
I need some without knee shaping, as my legs are short so the knee bit's always in the wrong place......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Flinders wrote:What are the leg warmers like- anyone had this sort before?
I need some without knee shaping, as my legs are short so the knee bit's always in the wrong place......

look in your local 99p store for wool type ones also arm warmers.
Si

Post by Si »

waterproof trousers any good?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

mercalia wrote:
Flinders wrote:What are the leg warmers like- anyone had this sort before?

look in your local 99p store for wool type ones also arm warmers.

Anything without the grippy plastic strips slips down, including even some cycling ones.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I found this on the legwarmers from last year
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... p=18327010
It seems that the first batch in weren't as good as the later batch that time, so it's anybody's guess what the next batch may be like. Will probably have to try them and see. At £8 it may be worth the risk. I can't find any others that even remotely fit, whatever the price. :cry:
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have their leg and arm warmers, both from about three years ago and last year, they are warm, comfortable and seem to last well apart from the reflective bits which gradually fall off, well worth the money IMO.

The winter jackets and trousers are absolutely excellent IMO, very warm and windproof plus totally breathable, though not everybody likes the pad in the trousers. I am on my second set and they last about 3 years of winter commuting.

I also bought a pair of the 'Performance' trousers last year: these are more stretchy so fit more closely and they are a bit thinner, with a nicer pad IMO, they are now my preferred ones for longer day rides in winter. I am not sure about buying the Performance jacket though- it looks a bit too skin tight for my 'figure' :oops:

The waterproof trousers are OK for keeping in the saddle bag in case of sudden deluges- breathability reasonable and anyway I only put waterproof trousers on in really wet and cold weather.

Their winter gloves are usually good and this years 'lobster' ones look interesting- a similar design of motorcycle glove was renowned for its ability to keep finger tips warm compared to normal separate finger designs.

The cycling shoes are also well worth the money compared to most synthetic fabric brand name shoes

OTOH I have twice tried their waterproof jackets and taken them back due to extreme sweatiness compared to more expensive brand name stuff and poor quality stitching and I have had similar quality issues with jerseys from them- worth taking a close look at the stitching and cut of each item IME before you buy as some may be ready to disintegrate immediately and some may be cut distinctly wonky IME.

Also I have one of the compression base layer tops and have never liked it- rather too sweaty compared to my Endura merino wool one, hence I am after the Aldi 100% merino wool base layer tops this year- my Endura one is finally gettin a bit tired.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Also tempted by the merino.

Just to add a comment - the Spoke reflectors are might effective!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Also tempted by the merino.

Just to add a comment - the Spoke reflectors are might effective!

I bought the spoke reflectors last year.

They aren't much good. They get stained by dirt and mud, and by the chain lubricant. They are not wipe clean and the stains don't come out and the reflectiveness is greatly reduced.
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I bought a set of their merino base layers and the compression base layers last year and have found them both hard wearing and comfortable. The merino is not quite as smooth as the Endura material but in use is perfectly comfortable. The compression set is interesting. When I first put them on,I always think: "Ooh, that's tight and feels cold." After a couple of minutes I get used to the compression feel and then feel perfectly cosy! Weird, huh?

I am more than happy to recommend them.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

blackbike wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Just to add a comment - the Spoke reflectors are mighty effective!

I bought the spoke reflectors last year.

They aren't much good. They get stained by dirt and mud, and by the chain lubricant. They are not wipe clean and the stains don't come out and the reflectiveness is greatly reduced.

Mine still look pretty effective, but then I don't find much mud on the roads, have proper mudguards and they're well away from a chain.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

I bought a full tool kit 5 years ago still going strong!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

After all that I'm getting tempted by more than the leg warmers. I have been pleased with the thin summer vest I got there....though I don't actually use it for cycling, only walking, as being women's size it's too short in the back for me for cycling (long back, short legs :? ).

Sounds like we may have to get down there early, or we'll be beaten in the rush!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

niggle wrote:I

Their winter gloves are usually good and this years 'lobster' ones look interesting- a similar design of motorcycle glove was renowned for its ability to keep finger tips warm compared to normal separate finger designs.

Are those the strange ones that seem to be divided down the middle? Wondered what on earth they were.