Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
martin biggs
Posts: 716
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 8:02am
Location: northamptonshire
Contact:

Re: Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

Postby martin biggs » 23 Sep 2014, 9:28pm

wow what a find , wish i could find things like that but in better circumstances

as for value as long as no parts are seized i would go a little higher to the right person

its a classic in the making , shame there are no family member who could use and enjoy it

User avatar
531colin
Posts: 12442
Joined: 4 Dec 2009, 6:56pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

Postby 531colin » 24 Sep 2014, 7:34am

martin biggs wrote:wow what a find , wish i could find things like that but in better circumstances

as for value as long as no parts are seized i would go a little higher to the right person

its a classic in the making , shame there are no family member who could use and enjoy it


Yes, I think that's the real shame. I used my parents' tandem to take my kids out. I sentimentally hung onto it for years after they had finished with it, then I finally gave it away to somebody who wanted to take his kids out. Its now gone to somebody else, the only stipulation is it has to be ridden.

I still don't know what "value" means in this case. If its to pay tax then I would write it off....somebody doing a "house clearance" wouldn't give the estate anything for it. If "value" is about sharing the estate between beneficiaries, then its "value" to one beneficiary is the same as the "value" of a vase, or a table, watch, etc. to another beneficiary.

Edit.....What would its "value" be if you were paying a solicitor to do the probate valuation? ...less than the cost of a solicitor's time, I imagine.

MGate
Posts: 155
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 10:22pm

Re: Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

Postby MGate » 26 Sep 2014, 9:22am

Just chatting to someone who's first proper bike was a Major Nichols - fond memories!

Any chance of measuring the frame? If its 21 ½ may be interested as something that would qualify for L'eroica brittania... n +1...

Oldstswinger
Posts: 7
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 7:03pm

Re: Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

Postby Oldstswinger » 26 Sep 2014, 9:54am

MGate wrote:Just chatting to someone who's first proper bike was a Major Nichols - fond memories!

Any chance of measuring the frame? If its 21 ½ may be interested as something that would qualify for L'eroica brittania... n +1...


Only 21" I'm afraid from centre of crank to top of seat tube.

mnichols
Posts: 1412
Joined: 22 Apr 2013, 4:29pm

Re: Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

Postby mnichols » 28 Sep 2014, 8:34pm

What size rider would this suit? My garage is full but I could see if my brother is interested

Oldstswinger
Posts: 7
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 7:03pm

Re: Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

Postby Oldstswinger » 28 Sep 2014, 9:28pm

mnichols wrote:What size rider would this suit? My garage is full but I could see if my brother is interested


5'8"or9" at the top end I'd suggest and 5'4"or5" at the bottom end.

blackbike
Posts: 2492
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 3:21pm

Re: Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

Postby blackbike » 28 Sep 2014, 10:13pm

Unless various relatives are keen for their share of the bike's value why not just keep it for a bit and sell it later when the main business of disposing of the estate is over?

chesterbull
Posts: 50
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 5:37pm

Re: Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

Postby chesterbull » 29 Sep 2014, 10:35am

http://lichwheeld.wordpress.com/2014/05 ... nt-page-1/

You might find someone with specific knowledge here to help. I believe that they are actively sought out and have a strong following.