Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
martin biggs

Re: Major Nichols find - valuation help needed please

Post by martin biggs »

wow what a find , wish i could find things like that but in better circumstances

as for value as long as no parts are seized i would go a little higher to the right person

its a classic in the making , shame there are no family member who could use and enjoy it
531colin

Post by 531colin »

martin biggs wrote:wow what a find , wish i could find things like that but in better circumstances

as for value as long as no parts are seized i would go a little higher to the right person

its a classic in the making , shame there are no family member who could use and enjoy it

Yes, I think that's the real shame. I used my parents' tandem to take my kids out. I sentimentally hung onto it for years after they had finished with it, then I finally gave it away to somebody who wanted to take his kids out. Its now gone to somebody else, the only stipulation is it has to be ridden.

I still don't know what "value" means in this case. If its to pay tax then I would write it off....somebody doing a "house clearance" wouldn't give the estate anything for it. If "value" is about sharing the estate between beneficiaries, then its "value" to one beneficiary is the same as the "value" of a vase, or a table, watch, etc. to another beneficiary.

Edit.....What would its "value" be if you were paying a solicitor to do the probate valuation? ...less than the cost of a solicitor's time, I imagine.
MGate

Post by MGate »

Just chatting to someone who's first proper bike was a Major Nichols - fond memories!

Any chance of measuring the frame? If its 21 ½ may be interested as something that would qualify for L'eroica brittania... n +1...
Oldstswinger

Post by Oldstswinger »

MGate wrote:Just chatting to someone who's first proper bike was a Major Nichols - fond memories!

Any chance of measuring the frame? If its 21 ½ may be interested as something that would qualify for L'eroica brittania... n +1...

Only 21" I'm afraid from centre of crank to top of seat tube.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

What size rider would this suit? My garage is full but I could see if my brother is interested
Oldstswinger

Post by Oldstswinger »

mnichols wrote:What size rider would this suit? My garage is full but I could see if my brother is interested

5'8"or9" at the top end I'd suggest and 5'4"or5" at the bottom end.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Unless various relatives are keen for their share of the bike's value why not just keep it for a bit and sell it later when the main business of disposing of the estate is over?
chesterbull

Post by chesterbull »

http://lichwheeld.wordpress.com/2014/05 ... nt-page-1/

You might find someone with specific knowledge here to help. I believe that they are actively sought out and have a strong following.