holiday recommendations for Germany

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Elizabeth_S

Re: holiday recommendations for Germany

Postby Elizabeth_S » 3 Nov 2014, 10:23am

I think, though I'm not entirely convinced, that TOH will do Passau to Wien. I did look at a holiday that went around Stuttgart (as we lived there and I still work from an office there, though I live in Scotland, and so have friends). I also thought about going to Kitzbuhel and doing local cycles there and using the train. I would happily take my own bike with me, but TOH is looking for less stress; he speaks a little German so he'd find it easier than France. I think I'm the more adventurous one! I'm still looking and enjoying the fantastic websites for cycling in Austria.

gordonyoung

Postby gordonyoung » 3 Nov 2014, 10:24pm

We flew to Frankfurt Airport with out bikes, cycled the Main cycle path to Bamberg and then caught the train back to the airport staying in 2 star accommodation which we booked in advance. Absolutely no problems and a fantastic tarmac cycle path. Over 300 k, all away from traffic. They even have vending machines in the street with inner tubes in them. A really good holiday. Can let you have details of the accommodation if you need it and access to photos on Flickr.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 4 Nov 2014, 1:56pm

gordonyoung wrote:We flew to Frankfurt Airport with out bikes, cycled the Main cycle path to Bamberg and then caught the train back to the airport staying in 2 star accommodation which we booked in advance. Absolutely no problems and a fantastic tarmac cycle path. Over 300 k, all away from traffic.

I rode it all the way from Bayreuth couple of years ago - good route but in places its very flatness can make it a bit boring - i resorted to catching the train to miss some of that out!

Frankfurt Airport is very bike friendly and easy to use, used it this year, couldn't be much easier!

gordonyoung wrote:They even have vending machines in the street with inner tubes in them.

We have one of those here in Sheffield! http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/je-jam ... ers/016292
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

gordonyoung

Postby gordonyoung » 4 Nov 2014, 8:14pm

I found Frankfurt airport brilliant for the bikes. We had to change terminals and no problem with the bikes on the airport bus. We had booked a 'classy' hotel (the Hilton) and just wheeled the bikes straight in through the marble floor reception - not a blink of an eyelid! next day I had a puncture re-inflating the tyres ( i have problems with those mini pumps causing the valve to move about while pumping and then breaking!) and no end of guys in business suits offering to help. Germany is great for cycling.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 5 Nov 2014, 9:19am

Would second the earlier suggestion for the Mosel valley. I did it with my also reluctant cycling other half in 2011. The valley bottom is beautifully flat and a lot of it is through vineyards, so very pleasant but it is mainly very steep either side so not many opportunities for going off piste so to speak. We started in Trier and finished in Koblenz - both of which are worth visiting. We did it with HF Holidays and stayed in a variety of accommodation, from pleasant B&Bs to a four-star hotel (though I think that was because there was a big event on in town and when the company went to book us in there they found a lot of the more reasonably priced accommodation had gone). I don't know if they still offer the same holiday of course.