British Airways

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
dnr

British Airways

Post by dnr »

New BA regulations for bikes state
Equipment must be packed in a travel case specifically designed for that piece of equipment.
One piece of sporting equipment should weigh no more than 23kg and should not exceed the dimensions (H+W+L): 158cm (62in).
The pictures show rigid box and soft bag, however I know of no box or bag less than 158cm - can anyone explain contradiction
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

The rule isn't aimed at cycles specifically, but ANY package you may want to trasport as luggage. The main point that hit the news was that it also precludes surf boards, curious as BA just opened a route from Gatwick to Newquay to take advantage of the surf related tourism!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The size rules are because the baggage system at Heathrow T5 won't handle large bags, and BA seem to think that different rules for different terminals/airports is too complicated.
GarethW

Post by GarethW »

I also have been looking into flying with BA to Geneva. I am confused about the measurments. As already stated, H+L+W. I'm hoping they mean that neither W or L or H can be more than 62". Add them together and there aren't many bags you take! LOL
If i'm not cycling, I must have a puncture
http://www.gwaymark.co.uk/wordpress
iron legs

Post by iron legs »

I hear BA have a great reputation for losing luggage and knackering bikes. I know someone who had a titanium frame wrecked by BA. Mind you this was before the introduction of the size restriction.

Why not cycle there?
dnr

Post by dnr »

I would love to cycle - but need to go from the North of Scotland to the South of France, ride a cyclosportive, and get home again in a long weekend! I was looking at CTC guidance which gives more sensible allowances from BA but this was for 2006 which I suppose has been superceded. I really think CTC should be taking this on and campaigning with more vigour.
willswitchengage

Re: British Airways

Post by willswitchengage »

Hi all, fairly new poster so hopefully I am writing in the right place!

British Airways have recently changed their bikes on planes rules. You can still do it, free or charge, as part of checked allowance, but they now require notification in advance that you are bringing a bike. They also ask for the box's dimensions. Has anyone had any experience of travelling with BA recently and this change? The last time I flew a bike with them they lost it the night before Velothon Berlin and I had great fun at 2am assembling and testing prior to the event. I assume this policy change is to help cover their own backs to stop a team just turning up with twenty bikes all hoping to be on the same flight.

Incidentally since flying with bikes appears to be a common topic on this and other forums I've otherwise flown with BA and Norwegian numerous times and never had a (separate!) issue. Never deflated the tyres or removed the pedals and all just in cardboard boxes. The TSA even had the dignity of carefully wrapping it up again once after searching my baggage :-)
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've flown from T5 with bikes in dedicated bags, no problem.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

We flew BA from Frankfurt to Heathrow in September with two bikes, dismantled to their published requirements and within CTC type plastic bags, without issue. They did require prior notice of the bikes by calling their customer service centre at the time of making the reservations.
Rob
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Why do people resurrect 11 year old posts - very confusing.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

simonhill wrote:Why do people resurrect 11 year old posts - very confusing.

I searched the forum for the most appropriate place in which airline discussions would be asked, then searched for previous posts on the topic in order to save creating a new thread for my query. It just so happened that the only thread my search yielded happened to be 11 years old. Hopefully this clears up any confusion you may have experienced.

Thanks to the others for the more helpful responses.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Wills, I am sorry if my reply was a bit blunt.

It was in part a reply to your first question " hopefully I am writing in the right place!"

To answer that more fully:
I am a frequent poster on the subject of flying with a bike, etc and my advice would be that the Touring and Expedition forum is probably more appropriate. There are many flying posts there.

Personally, I also like the idea of lots of new discreet posts which stay on the point and because they are usually easier to answer. Over time, old posts can contain information that is misleading or just plain wrong.

Of course, anyone can do what they want, but you did ask.

I hope this reply is more helpful.