Winter turbo training

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
richard21172

Winter turbo training

Post by richard21172 »

Does anyone have a good heart rate training plan for aerobic turbo training they wouldn't mind sharing ? 42 year old who wants better cycling endurance and is willing to do the boring winter indoors turbo training to achieve it :D Many thanks in advance
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Winter turbo training

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

Not quite sure what you are after, there are probably lots of programs on the net.
I will be back on the turbo for some of the time this winter.
In the past I have just gone flat out for an hour which is normally almost flat out for 30 mins then just try and hold the pace for the next 30, sometimes you just slow up.
Then other times I was raising the pace every 5 mins standing for 20 revs then recover for the next interval.

Aerobic excercise is meant to be 70 - 80 % and its easy to sit there at that level on the turbo.
Anaerobic is above this with pure above 90 %, but I am an old fuddy duddy and I can maintain 90 % for an hour, so pure anaerobic must be higher still :?:
Each zone is meant to compliment the other so best training is probably road work where there is constantly varying terrain with some flats hills and stop starts.
So when I am on the turbo I do 2 % gradient standing and sitting for 60 mins then next session is 5 % gradient standing every five minutes for twenty revs and thats enough to make me sit down.

This year I have done mostly road training with 20 % off road with a loaded bike, working at 80% max HR.
Peaking at obove 90% with lots of stop starts at lights and junctions, so HR will be dropping then.
I think that a very varying HR is probably best for training which is hard on a turbo trainer.
This year I have done a 12.5 hr ride 168 miles at 72%
214 miles at 65%
246 miles at 62%.
To maintaintain even low level aerobic exercise you need to train at a high aerobic level I.M.O.
Also although fat burning and cardio system is enhanced at low level aerobic workouts which are time consuming, higher level aerobic which also goes into anaerobic exercise will build muscle strength, and increase your VO2 max faster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_exercise

800px-Exercise_zones.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_exercise

"In contrast, aerobic exercise includes lower intensity activities performed for longer periods of time. Activities such as walking, long slow runs, rowing, and cycling require a great deal of oxygen to generate the energy needed for prolonged exercise (i.e., aerobic energy expenditure). In sports which require repeated short bursts of exercise however, the anaerobic system enables muscles to recover for the next burst. Therefore training for many sports demands that both energy producing systems be developed."

http://www.training4cyclists.com/best-vo2-max-training/
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/member ... lculator-0 you need to calculate your max heart rate. Depending on what you want to achieve there are a variety of things you can do, I ride zones of 20 mins at 125-135, 135-145 and then 145-155 for endurance.
20mins at 160+ 5 mins off then repeat to emulate racing.
1min sprints, 1min off.
It all gives variety to the programmes so you are doing different stuff and not bored.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

I don't find using a turbo boring, although helps having something to watch or listen to.
Spent 2 hours on the turbo this morning watching "Sin City".

Also when doing HIIT training you have no time to get bored.

It is important to remember that not cycling is as important as cycling, as it gives time for you body to recover and improve, especially after HIIT.