Cycling the Thames downstream from London

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tophermartyn

Cycling the Thames downstream from London

Post by tophermartyn »

Folks,
I'm thinking of riding from Brentford to the Thames Barrier, maybe further, along the south bank of the Thames.

I know the route reasonably well from Brentford to Tower Bridge, but beyond is terra incognita. Any suggestions as to the route below Tower Bridge, probably down to Gravesend, and advice whether it is territory for a Mtb or a good quality tourer.

Many thanks
gaz

Re: Cycling the Thames downstream from London

Post by gaz »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87397

Above thread and its links will be a useful starting point. If you want to follow non-NCN1 sections from Dartford to Greenhithe to stay closer to the river then IMO a MTB would be a sensible choice, same applies beyond Gravesend.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

If the OP is in London and free this Sunday, you could pootle along with these folks.

http://www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk/ind ... 8&blogid=1

Scroll down to Thamesmead Tor ride.

If you go, tell them Sweep sent you.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

upto Dartford any bike will do on the Thames Path but the last bit into dartford is on rough track alongside Darent valley. I normaly walk that. The Thames Path in side London built up area is mainly beside the river but detours at various places due to yuppy/rich homes & you can easily get lost or lose the road detour so you have to be carful. A very nice & varied ride incl Cutty Sark, Thames Barrier, The Dome, esplanade industrial heritage & dirt track. I've done it a few times, taking the train back from Dartford. I've never done Dartford to Gravesend on the Thames Path I ve taken NCR1 & another one NCR177? that follows the A2. By the way Freedom & 60+ passes are valid up to and incl Dartford
KimBowers

Post by KimBowers »

Its pretty straight-forward as far as down as Erith, any bike will be fine.

Gets a bit bumpy from Erith to the River Darent, you can then track back up the East side of the Darent under the Dartford Bridge to Greenhithe.
Not good on a Road Bike, but a Hybrid is fine.

From Greenhithe onwards its not really possible to stick to the river all the way to Northfleet as there are factories in the way.

One option is to use the free shuttle through the Dartford tunel and pick your way back along the North of the Thames.
Once you get as far as Woolwich its pretty easy to get back into central London.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The Dartford Crossing service is not 24/7, timing can be important. More here.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade