Work Stand - Tern Bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Medic101

Work Stand - Tern Bikes

Post by Medic101 »

Hi Guys,

Looking for recommendations on the best work stand for a Tern, I currently have a stand but alas the mouth of the grip dose not open wide enough to accommodate the tube frame of a Tern, the frame is about 10cm and the maximum my current stand can take is 5cm. Also I'm not looking to spend that much on it.

Thanks in advance :)
alicat

Re: Work Stand - Tern Bikes

Post by alicat »

Could you attach it by the seat post, without applying too much torque obviously.

Or work on it on a table, part folded. (Caveat, I don't know how a Tern folds.)

Or turn it upside down, the old fashioned way.

Or hang it from a hook eg in a garage?
Medic101

Post by Medic101 »

I did think about attaching it by the seat post, but I have never been on this idea so if I can avoid I try too. As for the luxury of a workplace inside I'm afraid I didn't win the lottery on that front and have to do all my maintenance outside. I guess I would turn it upside down but if I can buy something to prevent me doing that for a small fee then I would prefer to, I find they offer greater flexibility generally.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Most workshops use the seatpost as the clamping point of choice as it offers unrestricted access to cables etc. :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I use the seatpost too. I don't like the idea of clamping on the thin-walled frame tubing. Seat tube is ok I suppose, but seatpost is the best.

It looks like the Tern has a good long seatpost.

I use a Park bike stand. Excellent bit of kit.
Mick F. Cornwall
mike_dowler

Post by mike_dowler »

Brompton specifically advise against clamping the seat post - not because of the strength of the post itself, but because the clamp is allegedly not able to support the weight of the bike I tension.
alicat

Post by alicat »

Well if you definitely want a new stand the Edinburgh Bicycle Coop Tune Up Workstand http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-tune-up-workstand has a wide opening. Mine measures 10cm at the clamp point but you might have to jiggle a bit to get the tube in since the max spread at the jaw is 8cm. It currently retails at just shy of £90 but is frequently on offer for less.

If mine broke I would get another one as soon as they were on offer.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I just bought this Milan Explorer folder new a few days ago. Its practically identical to some Terns. I checked and adjusted everything on the bike before I rode it. I dont have any sort of bike workstand although I now have four bikes. I just tend to look around my garage and think about what can be used to improvise one. Here, you can see what I did. I used my car bicycle carrier clamped on its side in the vice on my workbench. Cost £0! I suggest you look around at home and see what you have got around to do it. The obvious one is a bent piece of pipe inserted where the seatpost is which gets clamped to a table.

I always use my car bike carrier to serve as a workstand, clamped in the vice and orientated normally for my other bikes too.

Al

ImageFolding bike work stand by Alyrpal, on Flickr
Last edited by al_yrpal on 11 Oct 2014, 3:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

Medic101 wrote:....the frame is about 10cm and the maximum my current stand can take is 5cm.

You could add a temporary crossbar, as being discussed in the following thread, and then put it in your existing stand.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91111