karimoor panniers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
barbelfisher

karimoor panniers

Post by barbelfisher »

I have just got some Iberain panners from Ebay, brand new with the fittings. They are 23ltr would these be ok with a smaller pair on the front for cycle camping. i also got a Karrimoor bag with the set but not sure what this was designed for? it has a map pocket but no fittings only nylon rings on it. Is this just a shoulder bag or a bar bag?

Regards John
gaz

Re: karimoor panniers

Post by gaz »

Impossible to be sure without a pic but it could be a "wire-puzzle" bar bag from the days before rixen-kaul fittings.

It may be possible to convert it, more in this thread.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If it's a "wire puzzle" handlebar bag, there will be a narrow sleeve on each short edge, just below the opening, and a D-ring on the short base edges.
You had a wire frame wrapped round the stem with prongs that slid into the sleeves, and an elastic cord between the lower D-rings and the front dropouts, to restrain bounce.
This post from gaz's second link contains the modern fittings for such bags.

Iberian panniers are fine for touring use, but ...
They will leak at the seams, so any water-sensitive contents should be in drybags or plastic bags.
The hooks just hook over the rack without locking on, and the pannier could overcome the lower elastic and jump off on particularly bumpy roads.
The hooks are probably meant for either 5mm steel rod or 8mm aluminium rod, and may not fit on some modern racks.
The size is a bit larger than Ortlieb back rollers and any requirement for extra front panniers will depend what you take. Many people wouldn't need them, even camping.

edit: Image of a wire puzzle handlebar bag with wire support here : http://www.meridien.hr/Portals/1/handlebar%20bag.jpg
There may also be D-rings just above the frame sleeve for a removable shoulder strap.
Last edited by andrew_s on 16 Oct 2014, 1:51pm, edited 2 times in total.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

andrew_s wrote:Iberian panniers are fine for touring use, but ...

The hooks just hook over the rack without locking on, and the pannier could overcome the lower elastic and jump off on particularly bumpy roads.

This happened to a friend of mine last year, and the road wasn't even particularly bumpy by modern standards (!). The panniers were old and the hooks might have been a bit tired. We bungied the handles together on to the rack and they were fine for the rest of the tour.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I use re useable Zip Ties on my panniers after losing one on a decent once whilst youth hostelling.
TimP

Post by TimP »

I bought a pair of Karrimor panniers second hand in the late 1970s - may be Iberian or one size smaller. They have served me well and are still serviceable! I haven't had waterproofing problems but then having been warned about this issue I have always used supermarket carrier bags to put stuff in - it actually helps keep like stuff together.

I have toured using just these panniers,
these plus smaller ones on the front,
these plus a bar bag for camera kit,
these plus front panniers, plus Karrimor saddlebag plus bar bag,
these plus front panniers, plus Karrimor saddlebag plus bar bag, plus tent and mat on the rack,
even just saddlebag and bar bag.

It all depends on how much you want to carry, how much you are prepared to spend along the way and what the weather is like when you are touring.
Just remember extra weight = extra effort and that weight balance both side to side and front to rear is everything. If really lightweight touring you can get away with nothing on the front but otherwise I find a minimum of 20% weight on the front to a maximum of 40% (I prefer nearer the lower amount). More weight up front makes steering sluggish.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I have some of these panniers from SJS. The hooks just hook over the rack without locking on, and the pannier could overcome the lower elastic and jump off on particularly bumpy roads.. They also have hooks and an elastic. Initially I used a toestrap instead of the elastic to stop them bouncing. It worked but was a bit fiddly to remove the panniers, so , once |I was sure they were good in other respects, I removed the hooks and fitted Carradice fixing hardware. I think Ortlieb parts are also available so could be used instead.

My panniers are 28l and proved ample for lightweight camping. I strap my tent lengthways on top of the pannier rack. I don't take cooking equipment other than a stove for making tea, a mug, and breakfast bowl - so no pots and pans.

I also have a Karrimor wire puzzle handlebar bag, that now gets used for carrying odds and ends such as a spare top and snacks for the day.

I normally carry a spare lightweight dry bag that could be fastened to the top of the panniers if any unexpected "extras" needed to be carried.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Its a shame their bottom disc lock system wasnt bought by some other pannier maker, when karrimor went bust, as I think it is the best and most innovative solution to pannier flap ever made. I cannt understand how it has vanished into oblivion.