Panniers LIKE Ortlieb, but cheaper??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vladimir

Panniers LIKE Ortlieb, but cheaper??

Post by Vladimir »

So I am interested in getting some 20L panniers, such as the waterproof Ortlieb back roller classics.

I will keep looking for eBay auctions, however I'm not holding out much hope, even used ones seem to go for around £40 a pop after bids.

I just need the one, really. So where would you get panniers that are similar to the Ortlieb ones, but cost less than the £55 RRP that the Ortlieb back roller classic fetch on their site.

They need to be completely waterproof, various electronics go in them. They're only for a short daily commute.

Please recommend some cheaper panniers, and ideally you'd have used them and have some personal experience of using them and that they are waterproof and last a bit of time.

Cheers

Vlad
Vantage

Re: Panniers LIKE Ortlieb, but cheaper??

Post by Vantage »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WP100-carrier-C ... ywords=RCP

40ltr for the pair. They use a roll top closure with a clasp and then you also have the pull down lid again with clasp fastenings. Mine stay inflated for a while after closing properly they're that well sealed and have so far not leaked a drop despite the girlfriends cats best efforts to kill them.
There were some reports of the older models having the pannier clips fall off and so on and indeed I did notice some loose screws on mine but I tightened them and so far no issues. The newer 2015 versions may have that issue sorted.
For 50 quid you can't go wrong :)
They're heavy though.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Lining any old pannier with plastic bags will make it waterproof.

I use two 'rubble' sacks to line my everyday1980s Karrimor 'Silvagard' pannier.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Vantage wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/WP100-carrier-Colour-black-panniers/dp/B002RLFCEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416168332&sr=8-1&keywords=RCP

40ltr for the pair. They use a roll top closure with a clasp and then you also have the pull down lid again with clasp fastenings. Mine stay inflated for a while after closing properly they're that well sealed...

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

They're on the Xmas list! Only issue is that they cost £50 for the pair. Great value for a pair, to be sure! However, I want just the one, and at that price I can just as easily go for a single ortlieb for the same price. If only somebody were to sell them in singles, I'd gladly buy a new one for £25ish...
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

blackbike wrote:Lining any old pannier with plastic bags will make it waterproof.

I use two 'rubble' sacks to line my everyday1980s Karrimor 'Silvagard' pannier.

Thanks, but no. I am not interested in doing anything like this; I don't really trust myself to seal it properly. I know I'm a student but I require a basic modicum of comfort/good cycling gear :P
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

Ziploc bags, inside the bag of your choice, belt and braces :wink:
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have no personal experience of these: http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p32894/Avenir ... r-Bag.aspx but they are sold singly and were previously sold on Amazon so you can have a browse of the customer reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avenir-ACB940-W ... B001IH4RZI
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Noticed the other day that you can buy a single Ortlieb Back Roller City:-
http://www.scotbycycles.co.uk/accessories-c4/pannier-bags-c45/ortlieb-back-roller-city-waterproof-single-20-ltr-pannier-p2963/s9413?gclid=CNfmx5eigcICFQPMtAod-CoAog

I didn't realise you could buy them singly.
niggle

Post by niggle »

NetworkMan wrote:Noticed the other day that you can buy a single Ortlieb Back Roller City:-
http://www.scotbycycles.co.uk/accessories-c4/pannier-bags-c45/ortlieb-back-roller-city-waterproof-single-20-ltr-pannier-p2963/s9413?gclid=CNfmx5eigcICFQPMtAod-CoAog

Having just read the reviews for that Avenir pannier I linked to and now seeing the price of the Ortlieb above, I would urge the OP to pay the extra £7 or so for the Ortlieb
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

I paid £80-odd for my back rollers.....£55 doesn't seem THAT unreasonable to me. I've been down the plastic bag liner route, and life's too short....buy decent kit and that's it over with. I've spent too long saving pennies, then wishing I'd just forked out a few extra quid.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

largeallan wrote:I paid £80-odd for my back rollers.....£55 doesn't seem THAT unreasonable to me. I've been down the plastic bag liner route, and life's too short....buy decent kit and that's it over with. I've spent too long saving pennies, then wishing I'd just forked out a few extra quid.

completely agree , life's too short to be fumbling around with platic bags :)

£55 - I suppose it's relatively reasonable, yes, but it's rather a lot to me right now.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

NetworkMan wrote:Noticed the other day that you can buy a single Ortlieb Back Roller City:-

Thanks for this. I should have been explicit in my OP, the city are not suitable. Sure, they're almost the same as the classics, but they lose a little something. I have the front roller city and they're just about small enough that whatever is inside can be held on the flimsy handle. I think if I loaded a 20L back roller city, it would give up the ghost! That, and the city are just too annoying without a shoulder strap. Never understood why ortlieb would want to bastardize their own product like that! Is a shoulder strap really that much of an ask?
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

niggle wrote:

Having just read the reviews for that Avenir pannier I linked to and now seeing the price of the Ortlieb above, I would urge the OP to pay the extra £7 or so for the Ortlieb

totally agree with this; Despite my distaste for the back roller city (based on my experience with the front roller city), upon reading the reviews - I'd rather get a back roller city! Better the devil you know and all that...
PH

Post by PH »

Buy a pair of Ortliebs and sell one, it's a commom sight to see people with a single, so there must be a demand. You could even try selling it before you placed the order.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Vladimir wrote:I have the front roller city and they're just about small enough that whatever is inside can be held on the flimsy handle. I think if I loaded a 20L back roller city, it would give up the ghost!

If you are wanting to carry a decent amount of weight is a single pannier the best solution? It's not ideal to subject a rack, bike or bolts to large asymmetric loads or tortional forces