Gold Lock Hiding Key on bike ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mike777

Gold Lock Hiding Key on bike ?

Post by Mike777 »

Hi all

Just about to buy a gold lock for my bike having used a combination lock before.

I often go touring a wondered if it would be good to 'try' and hide a spare key on the bike some where in case my main key lost or stolen etc whilst I am away.

Does anyone have a view or do this ...............would you be happy to share with me or pm me ?

Many thanks

Regards

Mike
yakdiver

Re: Gold Lock Hiding Key on bike ?

Post by yakdiver »

I don't do it myself, but if you have a quick release seat post you could hide one there.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Inside one end of handlebars would be one place - also used in the past (& possibly still done by some) to stash an emergency £5/£10/etc. wrapped in a plastic bag.

Expander end plugs rather than the usual push fit might be a good idea if using this method & you might have to pare down the plastic "handle" end of the key to get it to fit.

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

stupid idea. I have more than once locked myself out of my flat so I now have a permanent key around my neck on a cord. That is the best soln & you soon forget its there
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My mum has the spare key. One phone call and I'm rescued :)

edit: Just re-read the post......touring....hmm

I wouldn't keep a key on the bike tbh. Too risky. Given that I'll be using the bar bag when I try again my keys will be in there and if I'm leaving the bike for any reason, bar bag comes with me. Mercalia's idea is good though.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

You can keep two keys with you, the one in use, plus the spare tied to your washbag. You are unlikely to lose both at the same time.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Put it in your bike safe - otherwise known as the stem!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Around your neck attached to your ID tag
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Somewhere requiring reasonable disassembly - shame you can't have it split into two halves ;)

if you have a sq taper BB then tucked into the shell pointing down a chainstay??
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
niggle

Post by niggle »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Somewhere requiring reasonable disassembly - shame you can't have it split into two halves ;)

if you have a sq taper BB then tucked into the shell pointing down a chainstay??

Fine if you always carry the necessary tools to remove the chainset and BB, or expect to be able to borrow them where you are travelling.

A QR seat post is not a good idea IMO as someone expecting to just steal the saddle would get an unexpected bonus.

Probably not many thieves will look in the handlebars or non QR seat post, even fewer the stem, however keeping it in a bar bag or something that you always take with you would be favourite, e.g. tucked in your wallet.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I just use a small cheap combination lock cable. Might dissuade casual theft.

When touring, house key and another credit card and £20 note are hidden in lining of bar bags.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

I have a spare key attached to something which I can never leave on the bike, so I perforce always take it with me.

The most important thing is to check I have thekey before I lock the bike.

Ferdinand
niggle

Post by niggle »

ferdinand wrote:The most important thing is to check I have thekey before I lock the bike.

Ferdinand

I always store the lock locked up, so I cannot use it if I don't have the key with me.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

niggle wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Somewhere requiring reasonable disassembly - shame you can't have it split into two halves ;)

Fine if you always carry the necessary tools to remove the chainset and BB, or expect to be able to borrow them where you are travelling.

A QR seat post is not a good idea IMO as someone expecting to just steal the saddle would get an unexpected bonus.

Probably not many thieves will look in the handlebars or non QR seat post, even fewer the stem, however keeping it in a bar bag or something that you always take with you would be favourite, e.g. tucked in your wallet.

Obviously - but the point remains.

How about a keysafe bolted to the underside of the pannier?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

[quote="[XAP]Bob]How about a keysafe bolted to the underside of the pannier?[/quote]

..................and write the number down on a piece of card in case you forget it. You could keep the card.........................

:D