merino baselayer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Spinners

Re: merino baselayer

Post by Spinners »

I've just bought one from Tenn (via eBay) and really like it.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
niggle

Post by niggle »

thirdcrank wrote:Last year, the Aldi "Merino" cycling tops were 30% merino, remainder something else.

However Aldi merino skiing togs are 100% merino wool (with Woolmark.) As I type this, having just come in from the cold, I'm wearing a skiing base layer top, bought last winter and some merino long johns bought six or seven years ago. These are a finer knit than the tops. I've never had anything posher/ more expensive to compare these with but I happily recommend them and I'll buy more if they have them this winter.

This year's Aldi cycling base layers are marked 100% pure new wool with Woolmark. I bought two for the original price of £15.99 each and would say they are well worth the £7.99 half price offer this Thursday and they seem softer than my Endura BaaBaa one, however they do have a fairly large neck opening and they do need to be given a stretch when hanging up to dry after machine washing to maintain shape and size. They are quite thin and light, thinner than a cotton vest, and obviously meant to be worn under a jersey or jacket etc. I find them good for around 5-10 degrees C with a normal long sleeve cycling jersey or below 5 degrees with a soft shell jacket such as an Aldi one.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My synthetic base layers can get a bit pongy. I fix that by putting some vinegar (any sort seems to work) in the 'prewash' section of the little drawer where the washing powder goes. I put normal washing up powder in the section for normal washing & run the washing with a wash + prewash setting. No more pong 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have 3 base layers in frequent use at the mo' i) Aldi bamboo long sleeve ii) Aldi merino short sleeve iii) Paramo Grid classic long-sleeve, so here's a few random, thoroughly unscientific comments...
Fragrance factor (I don't 'pong') - no difference between all 3!
Itch factor - merino is slightly itchy, bamboo - not at all, in fact almost silk-like :-), Grid is non itchy, and warm to wear.
Warmth factor - merino is cosy, bamboo has a slightly cool feel to it but is warm, Grid is the most versatile being both warm when covered and cool when not.
Cost factor - Aldi items both cheap... the Paramo product was 'affordable' via their ebay seconds shop, but I would baulk at paying the mrp for one (£30)
If I had to pick one tho', it'd be the Grid...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

I'm a fan of merino, have been for the last decade or so, there has been some trial and error in finding out what suites me. Now I have, I've no hesitation in spending serious money on the right thing, the amount of use it gets and the length of time it lasts makes it worth it. I'm about to retire a Howies mid layer after 9 years, it's been worn at least three times a week for at least 6 months a year in that time. I like the idea of buying less and buying better, whatever I'm buying, and IMO it offers better value in the long term.
A couple of things I've found along the way - to a large extent you do get what you pay for, my Planet X and M&S merino are not up to the same standard as the Howies, Ice Breaker and Embers I have, not as comfy, don’t was or wear as well. For me, the two base layers in the original post would be too heavy as base lateyers in all but the coldest of weathers, mine are 150g. 200g stuff for me is good as a mid layer worn on its own, maybe with a gilet. Don't get too committed to the 100% merino idea, there's a difference between mixing it to save money and to improve it, some of the best kit is mixed. To get the best from merino, you have to be careful what you layer it with and be prepared to adjust that on a ride.
Writing it down it does seem a bit of a faff, IMO it’s worth it because getting it right gives me all day comfort, in a way that synthetics never have.
PRL

Post by PRL »

My usual problem with Aldi clothing is the lack of Mens Small size. As they were selling off some at half price I took a punt on the Ladies Medium and it fitted fine - the flexibility accommodates any anatomical discrepancies :P

Look forward to testing as it is getting fresher.
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

I have merino from Planet X, Aldi and Finisterre. The Planet X and Aldi ones are much rougher wool than the Finisterre and are good for half day rides. For longer rides the Finisterre ones are much better, they don't overheat me yet keep me warm. Even in warmer weather they keep you at a nice temp. They are pricy but worth it. Do take care when washing, no fabric conditioner and the wool setting. Using fabric conditioner really does wreck them. They don't stink like synthetics either.
I think the website is finisterreuk. They are a surfing company I think.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I see that Finistere do a nice stripey number - just ze job for those tours of Brittany :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

I've just bought one from Tenn (via eBay) and really like it.
I'm interested in this one. Spinners seem good quality etc. Thickness not too thin ?
John_S

Post by John_S »

Hi AlastairS,

I think that whatever the weather and whether it’s recommendations for cycle clothing whatever the season materials, thickness, long sleeves, short sleeves etc. are a very personal and subjective thing and what’s right for one person isn’t right for the next.

However if it helps there’s a merino baselayer that I have and I’d happily recommend. I got the Endura BaaBaa Merino L/S Baselayer in an end of season sale a couple of years ago and I’ve personally been really happy with it. http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=124

I personally think that I get really hot very quickly when cycling and anecdotally I always seem to be wearing less than other cyclists that I see when I’m commuting. At the moment on my commutes to work (I think that the temperatures are around 2 degrees celsius up to around 6 or 7 degrees) on my top half I have the merino baselayer under a summer short sleeve jersey. When the temp has been closer to 2 I’ve also used arm warmers but if the temp is slightly higher I go without the arm warmers. At those temperatures everything on my body is comfortably warm enough.

Having said that I think that I get hot very easily and quickly I’ve been really impressed with the merino baselayer and I think it helps keep my body a comfortable regulated temperature without getting too hot and sweaty. I’ve also been impressed because the merino baselayer doesn’t seem to smell too much after rides when compared to synthetic clothing and it also dries quickly after washing. I’ve been so impressed with this merino baselayer I’ve also now bought myself a lighter weight short sleeve merino baselayer which I use in spring summer & autumn and I think that helps keep me cooler and regulates my body temperature better than just wearing a single layer synthetic jersey.

One thing on my winter commute that I can suffer from is sore ears if the wind is really blowing. Therefore in an attempt to combat that I’ve also just got myself an Endura BaaBaa Merino Skullcap. http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=143

I’ve been using this for about 3 weeks now on my daily commute and I use it on days when either it’s really windy anyway and on any days when the temperature is down below say 5 or 6 degrees. So far I’ve been really impressed with this product and it really helps eliminate any pain that I was getting on my ears.

Apologies because this might end up sounding like a product advertisement for Endura but these are the products that I have and so can’t speak for other brands.

Hope that this helps.

John
mike1543

Post by mike1543 »

I,ve had a few plantet x merinos and they're ok for the price,not the longest lasting out there I don't think tho,there are a bit thinner than the ice-breaker one I have got,though that's no bad thing because the icebreaker is just to hot.
Tail End Charlie

I've remembered I also have some merino tops from Decathlon. Long sleeve but a V neck, so a buff must be worn as well. These are good and I got them in a sale for a tenner.
The bamboo tops from Aldi are good, although short sleeved, they are only a fiver.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Don't the aldi bamboo tops have pretty large percentage of cotton in them tail end?

If so, how do you find them on the sweating?
Sweep
Tail End Charlie

Yes, they're 28% cotton but they're extremely comfortable (actually now my T shirt of choice for off the bike). They don't wick as well as full merino but are fine for rides up to 60 miles and longer than that I'd grab a Finisterre one.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I actually have 2 myself.

Only ridden a few times with it - seemed pretty good though noticably sweatier than merino.

I agree that they are very comfortable - soft but nice and stretchy for getting on and off. Very good for general purpose use as you say or for a vest if you are feeling old fashioned/wimpy. I suppose as you imply they are ideal for off the bike evening wear when touring.

I also have the £15 or so Aldi long sleeve merino top - very good as long as you dry it flat.

I did a quick tour of 3 London Aldis when I heard about the too good to be true (except in further parts) half price deal. Stuff tends to get snatched up in London by the forum gannets swooping across town.
Sweep