merino baselayer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: merino baselayer

Post by Sweep »

Well that's them off next year's christmas card list then :)

Look out for the next Aldi offer.

I have a 100 per cent merino short sleeve top from them - cost £15.

I was amazed how many times I could use it without it needing a wash.

I use it mostly for cycling around town as it feels so comfy and "breaths-off" so nicely when sat in the pub that i pretty much forget that I am in cycling gear.

It's also tough. I am in favour of spending good money on key cycling gear but sometimes more expensive kit, particularly with the rise of the MAMIL, is actually too finely made/too delicate.
Sweep
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I thought I'd reserve judgement about the itch factor until I'd worn/washed mine a couple of times and now that I have, I have to say that the merino garments I have which feel silky to the touch, itches very slightly when worn... the bamboo garments I bought at the same time, on the other hand. don't itch at all, but feel luvverrrly...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I agree with SimoninEaston about the luvverly feel of a bamboo base layer but mine start to pong a lot quicker than my merino ones do!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

I like my Merinos from Aldi so much I've a started using them for hiking too.

Ferdinand
Last edited by ferdinand on 12 Jan 2015, 3:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thanks All. Short sleeve versus long sleeve for cycling if you could only have one?
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

There is an excellent article on base layers here
http://thenextchallenge.org/comparison- ... materials/
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

AlastairS wrote:Thanks All. Short sleeve versus long sleeve for cycling if you could only have one?

If pushed, probably short.

More versatile, easier to wash/dry.

Ifvit is especially nippy you could always put a heavier outer layer on. I use three layers in winter anyway, plus a fleecy buff if needed.
Sweep
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Sweep wrote:
AlastairS wrote:Thanks All. Short sleeve versus long sleeve for cycling if you could only have one?

If pushed, probably short.

Just to confuse you – I'd have long :) .
I love merino and wear it all the time, but I don't own a short sleeve. I have several long sleeves of various thicknesses which I find very versatile from spring to winter – the thinnest (an Icebreaker) is still comfortable in UK summer and I can roll the sleeves up. In very hot weather, I just wear one of my cheapie cotton shirts which dry quickly and pack small for travelling. If I need something wicking, I wear a merino sleeveless or camisole top underneath. I should point out that these are somewhat more flattering if you're female :wink: .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

I love merino and wear it all the time, but I don't own a short sleeve.

Do you think the dearer brands are worth paying for ?
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Yes - when they're discounted. I feel £30+ for a top is ridiculous so I wait for deals to come up. The ones I have have been bought over time but they have lasted years. Icebreaker are expensive, and, interestingly, I feel the cut and quality now not as good as my old kit. I highly recommend the recent Aldi long sleeve and leggings. I also like Devol, which I bought via the sportpursuit link that Farawayvisions kindly posted. I was dubious to sign up to this, as others have previously mentioned, but their discounts and customer service are actually very good.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Devold are expensive, but they have merino base layers that have wicking synthetic lining.

https://www.devold.com/outdoor-en/usefu ... ing/130/0/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

They can be found heavily discounted via sportpursuit – although delivery times depend on stock availability, so not so convenient if you need anything quickly. I bought a zip neck long sleeve and leggings for under £25 each and have been wearing the long sleeve regularly this winter. It's a base layer and doesn't have a synthetic lining.

Just had a look and there's no Devol at the moment but there is a sale on Thermowave merino – I've no experience but they look similar to other high end brands. You do have to sign up to view, so it depends how you feel about that. If you use my link below I get a £5 voucher, but you can find the site directly if you prefer.

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/talia.ross2012_b6936a
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Whoops - just noticed that they do have Devold on sale. They have the men's version of my long sleeve (multi sport zip neck, black) for £23.99.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thanks Loris, I already joined Sports pursuit , but I can't find the Devold baselayer as here is no searching onsite. Do you remember, Is it in cycling ?
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

That's odd - there was a Devold section under Flash Sales but it seems to have vanished. However, you can find them in the hiking section under 'tops'.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used