merino baselayer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

merino baselayer

Post by AlastairS »

beardy

Re: merino baselayer

Post by beardy »

Not recommending them (out of lack of experience) but Aldi have them coming on sale on Thur for £20.

I like the high neck and collar as I suffer from cold throats too easily.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Planet-x and search on Merino - they have a big offer on today (25% off with UKBFCLOBBER25 code) and you can get s/s or sleeveless for <£20, and L/s for <£30. They are very very good too. Easily a match for my expensive Norwegian Merino base layer! Bought one a year back to try, now have 4.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FWIW,i tried a good quality Merino baselayer a few years back and found I overheated in it,it became saturated during rides even in quite cold conditions.It seemed it just couldn't cope with the kind exertion during cycling.
I went back to synthetic and have settled on Helly Hanson.
I realise other people may have different views but it's something to bear in mind.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Last year, the Aldi "Merino" cycling tops were 30% merino, remainder something else.

However Aldi merino skiing togs are 100% merino wool (with Woolmark.) As I type this, having just come in from the cold, I'm wearing a skiing base layer top, bought last winter and some merino long johns bought six or seven years ago. These are a finer knit than the tops. I've never had anything posher/ more expensive to compare these with but I happily recommend them and I'll buy more if they have them this winter.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

There might be some truth in that. The Planet-X s/s ones that I have have a lighter grade, almost mesh back, and that seems to work really well. Not encountered problems yet, even with my Lusso waterproof jacket that breathes not at all well...
beardy

Post by beardy »

thirdcrank wrote:Last year, the Aldi "Merino" cycling tops were 30% merino, remainder something else.

However Aldi merino skiing togs are 100% merino wool (with Woolmark.) As I type this, having just come in from the cold, I'm wearing a skiing base layer top, bought last winter and some merino long johns bought six or seven years ago. These are a finer knit than the tops. I've never had anything posher/ more expensive to compare these with but I happily recommend them and I'll buy more if they have them this winter.

It is the ski-ing merinos at Aldi this Thursday.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Important to note that there are various grade and thicknesses of Merino, some of which are far too warm for cycling in UK conditions. As so often, it's worth looking at hillwalking/climbing clothing ranges for a wider choice.
RickH

Post by RickH »

beardy wrote:It is the ski-ing merinos at Aldi this Thursday.

Yes

And they may still have some of the cycling ones (100% merino this year) at half price (but stock will be limited). (link)

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
meic

Post by meic »

I have a Merino Icebreaker.

I dont wear it for day rides as it isnt as easy to wash and dry as my synthetics, also it only zips a quarter way down and I have had to leave cafes as I was overheating in it.

During cold weather, I will wear it for the whole weekend (night time too if cold) when I am riding and camping almost exclusively outdoors. That is what it is brilliant at, letting you wear it even when drenched for long times without stinking. I never get the spare shirt out of the drybags.
Yma o Hyd
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

+1 on the On One /Planet X merino. On offer now too.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

An enthusiastic "yes" to a high collar with a zip — a) to keep your neck warm in the wind, and b) equally important, to let you vent extra heat when you come indoors. I speak with authority, having just come inside — wearing a base layer of mid-weight merino — after an hour of shovelling snow at –20º C. :?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Merino base layers are moer suited to colder weather than most of the UK sees. However, other layers can always be removed. Even at freezing, a merino layer and a winter jersey or a rain jacket may be enough, once I warm up. So, I head out wearing all three, and take off one layer if I need to.

And if the temperature drops, or I get stuck somewhere, ther merino is *much* warmer than a synthetic base layer.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

reohn2 wrote: ... I went back to synthetic and have settled on Helly Hanson. ....

Ages ago, possibly around 1990, C&A Modes did a range of ski togs called Rodeo. They were left with a lot of unsold stock and I made a killing in the clearance sale, especially with the polypropylene underwear (long sleeve tops and a couple of pairs of long johns) Similar to HH but a bit heavier fabric. The elastic soon went in the waist of the long johns, but the tops are still going strong. Some of the Rodeo surplus ended up in sales at places like the York Rally.

IME, the only problem can be it gets a bit pongy and the prescribed low temperature wash doesn't kill it. I've found that adding a slosh of antiseptic disinfectant - Dettol or something own brand and cheaper - to the wash keeps everything smelling OK.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:...... Similar to HH but a bit heavier fabric.... ..... the only problem can be it gets a bit pongy............

I take mine into the shower with me after every ride,for non pong wear :) .
Off the bike in everyday wear HH b/layers last two,sometimes three days before they need a wash.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden