Them self sealing inner tubes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ukdodger

Re: Them self sealing inner tubes?

Post by ukdodger »

John_S wrote:I’ve not used the slime before but was interested in reading peoples thoughts because the thought of getting less punctures is always appealing.

Following the post from Elizabethsdad I took a look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. The video that is on the Schwalbe website is definitely interesting in terms of the tyres preventing punctures.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/marathon-plus.html

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/unplattbar.html

However I guess that there would be a weight and rolling penalty to pay for the reduced chance of punctures.

And they are a harder ride.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ukdodger wrote:
John_S wrote:I’ve not used the slime before but was interested in reading peoples thoughts because the thought of getting less punctures is always appealing.

Following the post from Elizabethsdad I took a look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. The video that is on the Schwalbe website is definitely interesting in terms of the tyres preventing punctures.

However I guess that there would be a weight and rolling penalty to pay for the reduced chance of punctures.

depends on how much you weigh?
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

On one bike I used to have a Maxxis Hookworm as a road tyre - you get used to the weight of whatever the bike and its parts are.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

WrightsW5 wrote:On one bike I used to have a Maxxis Hookworm as a road tyre - you get used to the weight of whatever the bike and its parts are.

I think thats a really good comment. You do get used to weight and don't think about it. away on tour I just ride my bike. At home with different bikes available, jumping from one to another you notice the difference but once into a long ride it does not matter. maybe just the one bike is the answer or more than one but the same model. :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

depends on how much you weigh?

I don't understand that :?
A stiff and heavy tyre will still be stiff and heavy,whoever's riding it.
The heavier the rider the higher the TP's need to be to support the weight,which causes them to be just as hard and harsh as they are with a lighter load with less air in them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well seems obvious that a stiff walled tyre like the marathon wont be felt much by a very heavy rider 16 stone +. I have used the old City Marathon which had a thin flexible side wall and the only difference I would note is that cornering was un safe on the City Marathon that the wall tended to give way.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:well seems obvious that a stiff walled tyre like the marathon wont be felt much by a very heavy rider 16 stone +.

You're going to have to explain that to me,I don't understand,as IME a heavier rider will feel it the same as a light rider if the tyre pressures are correct for load.
We've ridden tandems for 20 years which carry a far heavier load than solos(155kgs in our case),depending on how much air is in the tyre(which needs slightly less than a supple tyre),I can tell the difference between different tyre types.

I have used the old City Marathon which had a thin flexible side wall and the only difference I would note is that cornering was un safe on the City Marathon that the wall tended to give way.

I'm not familiar with 'City' Marathons,Marathon Slicks,no longer made,have a very supple sidewall,and need more air in them than all other marathons I've ridden(H308,H368,M+)all of which have stiff sidewalls.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Stiffness is a combination of to and sidewall, with a heavier load the proportional affect of the sidewall stiffness is reduced.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Well I dont weigh a lot and I find the damn things like riding on solid tyres and I am not going to shove a few bricks in the panniers to soften the blows :wink:
sreten

Post by sreten »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Why don't you think they'll work after 12 months?

Hi,

What makes you think that they will still work after 12 months ?

How do you think they work ? Unless some magic is involved
they work by reacting to air, and what do tyres contain ?

The slime will solidify over time, it has to, to be able to work.

Fitting slime tubes is not a long term solution, fine short term.

rgds, sreten.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

'course they'll work after twelve months!! It is not designed to 'react with air' it is simply a gel with very fine matting fibres mixed in to form a plug. Yes this will obviously dry on the surface, but, that is all, simply forming a 'scab'
After all this 'discussion!' I I took out a tube that has probably been in for a few years now, deflated it, and worked around it. No sign of any lumpiness, it felt slippery and liquid throughout. Find it funny that in a discussion like this people come out with such rubbish, based on no factual evidence whatsoever. Almost seem determined to believe what they think despite any evidence to the contrary. Surely it is best to look at things logically, test them to your own satisfaction, then make a reasoned judgement, not regurgitate someone else's 'urban myth'
Even Slime say that the two year life is 'to cover them' rather than any bearing on the long term efficacy, plus they can obviously sell more!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Because even if it was air reactive then the inside of the tyre would rapidly develop a skin, protecting the slim under - but as bas been noted, that's not how it works...
Oh and I did I mention I used to use it?
And it worked fine after nearly a decade in storage...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

questions & doubts on longevity are valid and not stupid. I dont know how the stuff works. I assumed it was some kind of air reaction but as some have pointed out cant be or the compressed air inside would do it. its not obvious how it does its job? Any complicated chemical material can go off so a reasonable question how long and how it is manifested - eg as it gets older will only plug smaller and smaller holes?
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Apologies if this has been mentioned on a previous page, but I believe Slime will only seal at under 40(?)psi, otherwise you just get a facefull of green snot...
(yes, I've tested this [ANGRY FACE])

Generally I've found them rubbish - they don't seal at any pressure and they don't last at all. My Specialized AirLock however, are still going strong after eighteen years!!! After rides involving canal towpaths (our standard route out of town) - after cleaning off all the dogmuck - we'd regularly spend a while with a pair of needlenose pliers pulling all the blackthorn daggers out! Must have pulled out hundreds, if not thousands over the years...

I think they sell it as tubeless sealant now, I'm desperately hoping that it's the same incredible stuff!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Questions aren't - statements that it won't when it does...

Other products exist, I haven't used slime in a long while now, but when I did it was exactly because I really didn't want a puncture on a fully loaded bike whilst on a moor still a few hours away from a campsite on a DofE expedition...