Measurements leg length - up to 1cm?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
samsbike

Measurements leg length - up to 1cm?

Post by samsbike »

I finally decided to measure myself and found that my left thigh (femur?) is almost 0.8cm longer than my right, which is about 1% of total thigh length pretty insignificant.

Perversely on my lower leg - the right one is about 0.5cm longer, again pretty insignificant, so overall a difference of about 0.3cm.

On my arms my left foreman is about 0.3cm longer but overall arm length is the same.

I guess what I am amazed at is that my thighs have a nearly 1cm difference? I am not sure but I dont think we have done a leg discrepancy thread yet and its really that time of the year lol
ChrisButch

Re: Measurements leg length - up to 1cm?

Post by ChrisButch »

we have. feb 4th 2014. Title 'adapting SPD bindings for unequal leg length'. Describes anomalies much like yours.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

One of my testicles is lower than the other - should I have an asymmetric saddle? :shock:
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

TMI :shock: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

samsbike wrote:I finally decided to measure myself and found that my left thigh (femur?) is almost 0.8cm longer than my right, which is about 1% of total thigh length pretty insignificant.

Perversely on my lower leg - the right one is about 0.5cm longer, again pretty insignificant, so overall a difference of about 0.3cm.

On my arms my left foreman is about 0.3cm longer but overall arm length is the same.

I guess what I am amazed at is that my thighs have a nearly 1cm difference? I am not sure but I dont think we have done a leg discrepancy thread yet and its really that time of the year lol
How did you measure to such accuracy?

It sounds interesting.

I know about Ape Index, and inside leg, but how do you measure thigh length vs leg length?
Mick F. Cornwall
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Well its not perfect, obviously, but I used Tim Williams guide.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

A link would be helpful - like this :wink:

It looks a good site - I must compare his recommendations with my favourite setup.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, sounds like a happy half hour measuring!
Thanks for the link.
I reckon the hard part will be finding a stool to sit on exactly at the correct height. Maybe pack up one with books and stuff to block it up. We haven't got a stool in the house, but I could use a dining chair turned round 90degs.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Many small discrepancies will be absorbed by the foot (ankle flex / extend) but only if you have good suppleness with your feet.

Good suppleness in the feet means that saddle height is less critical, and moving back and forth in saddle whilst riding for the sweet spot is a thing of the past.

Five minutes a day will sort out foot stiffness, isometric exercises on a stair step will do fine, any calf pulls will disappear very quickly whilst doing the exercises.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Mick F wrote:Yes, sounds like a happy half hour measuring!
Thanks for the link.
I reckon the hard part will be finding a stool to sit on exactly at the correct height. Maybe pack up one with books and stuff to block it up. We haven't got a stool in the house, but I could use a dining chair turned round 90degs.

that's what I used! Apologies re link
andy65

Post by andy65 »

My left leg is a bit longer than my right and the left leg rotates inwards by about 15 degrees, both the result of some major rearrangement of my left leg in a cycling accident. As a result I both walk and pedal rather strangely. When pedalling my left knee wobbles from side to side and I tend to rub the nose of the saddle with my left thigh. I turn and lower the saddle slightly to adjust for this. This happened quite some time ago and there appears to be no long term affects.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Sam not uncommon, in fact most people have unequal leg lengths, if your not having problems forget it. If you are you will need to see a physio and possibly a proper bike fit
NUKe

Post by samsbike »

NUKe wrote:Sam not uncommon, in fact most people have unequal leg lengths, if your not having problems forget it. If you are you will need to see a physio and possibly a proper bike fit

cheers - I dont think I have a problem just surprised its that much in absolute terms but not relative terms.
David_S

Post by David_S »

Dave W wrote:One of my testicles is lower than the other - should I have an asymmetric saddle? :shock:

No, but perhaps another part of your anatomy should also be asymmetric to compensate!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

David_S wrote:
Dave W wrote:One of my testicles is lower than the other - should I have an asymmetric saddle? :shock:

No, but perhaps another part of your anatomy should also be asymmetric to compensate!

It is,his other testicle! :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden