Philips Bicycle manufacturing - mid 1950's

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Philips Bicycle manufacturing - mid 1950's

Post by pete75 »

Scenes inside the Philips bike factory and other stuff from about 1955. The weomen building the wheels don't seem to hang about....

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/6001
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Re: Philips Bicycle manufacturing - mid 1950's

Post by Vorpal »

Love it! Thanks for sharing.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Dad saved all his receipts. I think this was for my brothers Phillips bike in 1948. Inflation!

Al
Attachments
phillips.jpg
phillips.jpg (11.11 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Superb. Thanks for that. Here's a 1945 film shot in the Raleigh factory in Nottingham.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi There, Wow, Great footage, all of it! The X-Crafts, the trade shows, a real time warp. Phillips, Raleigh, Perkins engines all worth viewing. Thanks for letting is view them. TTFN Merry Christmas MM
mudplugger

Post by mudplugger »

Thanks Pete, that film brought back memories of my first adult bike in 1961,a three speed flat bar "sports tourist" model, my pride n joy then which I did thousands of happy miles on. The Phillips was my introduction to my lifelong pastime and is fondly remembered even now I have modern lightweights.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pete
Great film.
Where did we go wrong :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I fixed a 1950's Phillips rod-brake roadster last week; its owner had used it for local transport for several decades, having bought it, used, for about £25. It had an AW 3s hub in the back and front dynohub. The seat tube had separated itself from the rest of the BB shell, via a fatigue failure in the corner radius there.

I duly weld-repaired the frame, and (mainly because I can't stand to see it done any other way) I used a die-grinder fitted with a carbide burr tool to clean the weld bead up. The original corner radius was maybe less than 2mm and my weld repair was more like 3-4mm radius. Once blended in like that, it looked pretty good, even if I do say so myself; you couldn't easily tell that it had been welded. [ I don't expect the repair to last forever BTW, but that isn't the objective in this case; the owner was chuffed to bits to have 'old faithful' back working again for now, and intends to keep it as a spare bike once a replacement is sourced.]

Whilst I was doing all this, I was studiously ignoring the rest of the bike, which had been somewhat neglected; I don't think there was a single part on it that was in good condition, not a single bearing correctly adjusted, rattles and creaks galore. Yet the bike still worked, somehow, and who knows, it might carry on for a few decades yet....

I couldn't help but think that, sometimes, simple is good; I can't see that many modern bikes plugging away that long.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:Pete
Great film.

Some answers here perhaps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAFheyFew3A . Interesting comments from the legendary Wilf Green...

Glad you like the little film folks.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Pete
Great film.

Some answers here perhaps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAFheyFew3A . Interesting comments from the legendary Wilf Green...

It's been the same throughout British engineering,non or little RD,resting on laurels,and not moving with the times,whilst other countries,especially Japanese industry ploughed everything back into the business and learned.Fast.
Then produced such gems as the Honda 50 and 90 stepthrough,which I believe is still the best selling motorcycle worldwide.
In less than thirty years British industry plummeted from the best in the world to a joke,sadly.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pete75 wrote:Scenes inside the Philips bike factory and other stuff from about 1955. The weomen building the wheels don't seem to hang about....

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/6001

"Sunshine favours the fairer sex"
:)

I used to lead lots of rides - I'd have been strung up on my next outing if i'd dared put that in a ride report.

Many thanks for posting
Sweep
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Thanks for sharing. Not seen any of these before. Superb! An enjoyable Chrimbo morning's viewing

What a scandalous life it was before helemetry and hi vis :wink:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

deliquium wrote:What a scandalous life it was before helemetry and hi vis :wink:
Not to mention the use of protective clothing in the spray booths :shock: :lol:
Thanks Pete - Merry Chrismas!
"42"
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I owned a Philips at school, bought it off a mate I think.
Had a single steel chain wheel and I added a five gear freewheel cluster to the sturmy hub and hey 15 gears :D
OK so I stretched the chain stays, and it had sturmey twist grip 3 speed...slick.
Mates drooled over it because the best was just a 2 x 5 for the rich kids :mrgreen:

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/J._A._Phillips_and_Co
Attachments
Im19271102BNAMR-Phillips-b.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great film, thanks! :D

Did you see me in uniform? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall