Steve abraham attempt

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tigerbiten

Re: Steve abraham attempt

Post by Tigerbiten »

He was the person who a few years ago started this spate of trying to break Tommy Godwin's year record.
But unfortunately on his first attempt, he was knocked off his bike while going well by someone on a scooter and broke his ankle.
So had to bail ....... :cry:
It doesn't look like he's going to get "the record" as Amanda Coker's probably put it out of his reach.
But he started this years ago to break Tommy Godwin's old record and for his own peace of mind/happiness, he's still aiming for this.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

As of 4th November it was reported he'd done 54,180 miles I make that 182 miles a day to beat the old Godwin record, 191 miles/day to beat kurt S old mark and a whopping 281.37/day to beat the current recognised holder Amanda Coker.
So basically he's not going to beat the record unless he does something extraordinary on top of the extraordinary.

He's learnt from past attempts that he needed to knock the altitude gain down and is around 16ft/mile this month, by comparison Coker and Searvogel were doing their miles mostly on a flat course of 246ft altitude gain per 240 miles (Coker was on the same course all the time I beleive)
That amount of climbing is a lot to overcome, add in not using a 'bent and not being on an enclosed course I honestly never thought he'd beat the record.
I hope he sets a decent mark for himself and be happy with it and knock it on the head and do other things.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

He would get the men’s record if he beat Kurt Searvogel’s distance, which is still doable. And he might hold it for a long time, too, since interest in this record has declined since it flared up when Abraham first attempted it. Besides, there aren’t many people alive who could reasonably hope to beat it. That’s the nature of world records.

Even if he doesn’t get any record, he’s earned fame and kudos enough for one lifetime.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Samuel D wrote:He would get the men’s record if he beat Kurt Searvogel’s distance, which is still doable. And he might hold it for a long time, too, since interest in this record has declined since it flared up when Abraham first attempted it. Besides, there aren’t many people alive who could reasonably hope to beat it. That’s the nature of world records.

Even if he doesn’t get any record, he’s earned fame and kudos enough for one lifetime.

You say that there wouldn't be many people who could do this... Not to understate what Amanda did - but is that really the limit of human endurance? It would be odd for this to be:
a) the only endurance sporting record I am aware of that is held by a woman
b) the only endurance sporting record I am aware of that was put 'to the limit' within a couple of attempts

I just don't think that this is the limit... would suggest that a special someone with the financial and sporting support could do significantly better.

We know that altitude gain is a big enemy, and IIRC there is nothing against losing altitude, or chasing tailwinds...
I assume Tommy chose some routes based on wind.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Make no mistake: Coker is a phenomenal, unusual athlete. And in some endurance domains – ultra-long-distance swimming, for example – women tend to outperform men or compete on equal terms.

I don’t think the current records will stand forever, but their extreme difficulty – physically, mentally, financially – deter attempts to beat them. If, as has happened, press interest wanes, that’s another reason not to try.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Samuel D wrote:.... If, as has happened, press interest wanes, that’s another reason not to try.

I'm surprised even local BBC news program has said so little about Steve Abraham's attempt. They had a short bit shortly before his previous attempt started and a brief mention this time but given the magnitude and duration of his effort I'm surprised they don't have more "updates" and "follow-ups". Particularly given some of the complete mind numbing irrelevance of other trivia them seem to spend far longer over.

People seeking to be selected for an olympic team (i.e. not there yet) and similar get loads of coverage but an individual just quietly preparing and getting on with it is largely ignored.

I have been surprised by this lack of coverage. Maybe Steve himself is avoiding being particularly prominent. Certainly from his web site and other web sites I can't really get much impression as to how he is progressing. And it is quite understandable that he (and his team) does not want to spend his time and effort just so I can see his progress. My being more aware of how he's doing will make absolutely no difference to his achieving his goal.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Samuel D wrote:Make no mistake: Coker is a phenomenal, unusual athlete. And in some endurance domains – ultra-long-distance swimming, for example – women tend to outperform men or compete on equal terms.

I don’t think the current records will stand forever, but their extreme difficulty – physically, mentally, financially – deter attempts to beat them. If, as has happened, press interest wanes, that’s another reason not to try.

I may well just be unaware of the super endurance records if there is a trend for women to outperform men...

She is phenomenal, but we don't actually know how unusual she is. We don't have nearly enough data points (because so few people try).
I can't recall what her starting motivation was...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Psamathe wrote:I have been surprised by this lack of coverage. Maybe Steve himself is avoiding being particularly prominent.

and compare it to Mark Beaumont and what he did and generated, why doesn't;t Steve go for Mark's record instead, is it he is not able to raise the cash that Mark did and Mark clearly is a media guy.

I follow Steve on Strava and what he is doing in THIS country is deeply inspiring and he can not match the advantage Coker had in Florida of flat, warm/hot and not windy ....

he has not learnt that the only way to do it is through circuits and does make Godwin;s record even more remarkable, as his was a 'proper' attempt and just like Steve did try.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

ianrobo wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I follow Steve on Strava and what he is doing in THIS country is deeply inspiring and he can not match the advantage Coker had in Florida of flat, warm/hot and not windy ....

I've just finished reading "The Year" which is a history of the annual mileage record. It seems that everyone that has broken the record has faced criticism at the time - even Tommy Godwin. It was said that his record was not comparable to those that went before because he had gears (3), he used pacing for some of the ride and he was a 'professional' - something that was looking down on at the time. The record was regarded as being for amateurs but Godwin had a very modest contract with Raleigh who provided the bike, paid towards his expenses and offered him a £50 bonus if he carried on to take the 100,000 mile record and didn't drop his distances below 150 miles per day.

Kurt Seavogal was criticised for riding somewhere warm and flat, and using the wind.

It seems the people attempting the records have respect for each other and what it takes and don't make these distinctions.

The record seems to have been reawakened and I think in future people will do what they can to remove as many obstacles as possible be that headwinds, hills, cold, heat, traffic, whatever

After all we don't expect people attempting to break running records to do it up hill into a headwind in the depths of winter
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

course not and the record Amanda set is stunning but the conditions were much much easier to do that. If Steve could do the same, move to Florida for the year and the same course IMHO he would easily break it.

Doing the same 4KM loop or so Coker did, hundreds of times day in day out is a massive test and strength of mental endurance and physical !
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

There is a three mile, not km, loop of super smooth flat tarmac very close to me at Dorney Lake. It is a joy to ride but the wind can at times be slowing as it is a wide open space.

For days when they are hosting events or when you need to ride away from the wind, the rest of the Thames Valley, in the surrounding area can present many nice flat opportunities as well.

I cannot think of a better place in the UK to base yourself for the record if you intend doing it by circuit repeats. I'd also speculate that Eton College who own Dorney Lake would be happy to facilitate and have the record on their turf so to speak.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

My understanding is that Coker also made extensive use of drafting and recumbents. These each help greatly. You could argue Abraham should be doing the same (at least the recumbent part; organising continuous spells of drafting outside a short loop would be hard).

But in many ways, Abraham’s approach is a noble and authentic one. And since I ride on Western European roads, in all weather, on an upright bicycle, it is the one I can most relate to (with awe).
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Samuel D wrote:But in many ways, Abraham’s approach is a noble and authentic one. And since I ride on Western European roads, in all weather, on an upright bicycle, it is the one I can most relate to (with awe).

+1
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Samuel D wrote:My understanding is that Coker also made extensive use of drafting and recumbents. These each help greatly. You could argue Abraham should be doing the same (at least the recumbent part; organising continuous spells of drafting outside a short loop would be hard).

But in many ways, Abraham’s approach is a noble and authentic one. And since I ride on Western European roads, in all weather, on an upright bicycle, it is the one I can most relate to (with awe).

she used drafting ?? I thought that was not allowed ?

Of course Steve has now resorted to loops (longer ones) close to his home and is putting in consistent efforts and I can see why for him.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Drafting is allowed, presumably because of the impossibility of enforcing a no-drafting rule (they don’t even manage to do that in triathlons). Abraham has used drafting too; it’s just the opportunity doesn’t come around very often when you’re not doing a short loop where people can come in and drop out as they please.

Tommy Godwin probably drafted someone at every opportunity too.