Steve abraham attempt

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bigjim

Re: Steve abraham attempt

Post by bigjim »

I can think of nothing worse. I would be reduced to a jibbering wreck within a month. Do you think he enjoys it? Good luck to the guy, but It is totally beyond me why anyone would want to do it and what they can get out of it. But of course I an very self centered and shallow. Thank the lord! I can't even bring myself to cheer the guy on as a lot of people on here do, as I feel it is applying pressure to keep going when he may feel like chucking the bike over the nearest hedge and walking into a nice warm pub. I would be the first to buy him a pint though. :)
PH

Post by PH »

Good luck to Steve, hope the year goes well for him and he achieves what he set out to.
But - barring mishaps Amanda Coker looks set to put the UMCA record well over 80,000 and I find it hard to imagine that's possible riding in the spirit of Tommy Goodwin's Guinness record.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Again? Crikey - he is a glutton for punishment.

I don't think it's something he just decided to do one day though, so there is a lot of 'sunk cost' already...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH wrote:Good luck to Steve, hope the year goes well for him and he achieves what he set out to.
But - barring mishaps Amanda Coker looks set to put the UMCA record well over 80,000 and I find it hard to imagine that's possible riding in the spirit of Tommy Goodwin's Guinness record.

Agree, it's what I was referencing in my post on previous page.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I would like to ride with Steve but I imagine my top speed is below his minimum

He deserves our admiration and support. When he has recovered (TG had to learn to walk again after his record) he should be made CTC president and go into politics

Good to read about the meet before starting, Steve and his team are not allowed to drink alcohol

Steve, I am behind you all the way!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

He averaged 238 miles a day in the first week
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:He averaged 238 miles a day in the first week
:shock:
I wouldn't even like to DRIVE that average.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:
:shock:
I wouldn't even like to DRIVE that average.

I averaged 234 miles a day on three day rides a week apart a few years ago, also 296 miles in 30 hrs falling asleep alot (I was probably fitter then) unsupported of course and carrying all my food, you are reduced to getting water where you can like hot water hand wash machines.
With these records he is attempting you do the miles anyway you can, for anyone who's done solo unsupported you sanity is tested when you are not sure which way you are going or coming.
I take my hat off to him, but like the tandem record E2E, the glory is short lived even non existent, I guess its a mater of personal satisfaction, it is for me.

Some like sportives nose-ing behind the pack, I have ridden a motorcycle E2E one day but that's very easy as you do not tend to doze off like a car.
I might have to admit defeat this year on my little challenge.
Whatever floats your boat.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I suppose there are many factors affecting performance and I have no idea how to read that. Starting out so boredom and fatigue not yet set-in. enthusiasm still high. But weather maybe not ideal (but maybe better than really hot days in summer). Sunlight hours still short enough to need riding after dark ?

I wonder if it is a good sign or a bad sign given the pros and cons this time of year, this far into the attempt.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Psamathe wrote:

I suppose there are many factors affecting performance and I have no idea how to read that. Starting out so boredom and fatigue not yet set-in. enthusiasm still high. But weather maybe not ideal (but maybe better than really hot days in summer). Sunlight hours still short enough to need riding after dark ?

I wonder if it is a good sign or a bad sign given the pros and cons this time of year, this far into the attempt.

Ian

The big unknown elephant in the room is next winter. If there is a lot of snow he could just cycle south and finish the record in France or Spain, but he would need support there as he spends nearly all his waking hours cycling

I really admire him. Today there was rain then snow. I cycled 13 km
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Does anybody know how the attempt is going ?

I've checked his web site, his Facebook and the public Strava and it still seems to be going but I can see anything saying about on/above/below target of anything like that.

Ian
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

He is a contributer on the YACF site and they are the ones that seem to have the most info. He is also on Strava.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Ray wrote:https://frrt.org/tg/riders?offset=50&limit=50

Those distances are surreal.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Only been following the end of Amanda Coker's attempt - which has mostly been 250+ miles per day.
So I don't know whether that's 'after 11 months you can go further' or what she's been doing all along...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.