Tiagra STIs and a bar bag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chocjohn9

Tiagra STIs and a bar bag

Post by chocjohn9 »

It isn't debatable, I like the STIs on my touring bike :) ...and wanted 9 speed for durability, so fitted some Tiagra ones. I do not regret this despite now having a problem. The cables sprout perpendicularly from the lever into the "middle space" on the drops - just where a bar bag would go....and I want to attach one (I've already have an Ortlieb one)
Any suggestions for getting around this problem? - Can I just push the cables out of the way, or is there an extender or something else? ....and I'm not changing my STIs!

Thanks in advance.
The Mechanic

Re: Tiagra STIs and a bar bag

Post by The Mechanic »

If you fit 90 degree V-brake noodles at the lever this diverts the cable downward and should enable you to get the bar bag in between. I did this on my audax/tourer and it worked a treat. No loss of gear changing efficiency detectable. The wider your bars are the more space you have.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
mmuk

Post by mmuk »

i just put longer cables on - then they go round the front of the bag. Works fine!

Mike
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

mmuk wrote:i just put longer cables on - then they go round the front of the bag. Works fine!

Mike

Think that was my solution when I had 105 STI and a Carradice bar bag, more by accident than design.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I just bent the cables gently out of the way but have seen "noodles" used (as Mechanic says) to take the cables through 90 degrees. Depends on the size of the bag by how much the cables need to move.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

Thank you for all of the replies so far.....my mind is now a rest. Good old forum! :D
honesty

Post by honesty »

Mine just bend out the way and go under the bag. I have about 2 inches between sti's and bag though.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Just push out of the way, it never caused a problem when I ran that combo although narrow bars could introduce other issues :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

There was a fairly recent short article by CJ in Cycle magazine about this. He found that after a while the cable casing wore so much that the cable started to escape, and the shifting was messed up. He does do a lot of touring, though. He recommended fitting flexible noodles. Other folk seem to manage fine with ordinary ones.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

If the above still leaves it looking a bit tight, you could try Nokon cables - they'll turn through a much tighter arc than normal Bowden and work an absolute treat to boot, I love them!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Yebbut....at a price! :shock:
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

LollyKat wrote:Yebbut....at a price! :shock:

Um, yeah, there is that. I've picked all mine up second hand - fresh liner and you're effectively new again. As you don't cut it, you can always add to it and reuse it too - think of it as an investment... [emoji6]

Tried the cheaper version from Alligator and had no luck at all, really binds in the curves. A better/thicker liner might solve that but I lost patience with it.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

I bought a new tourer last year (Dawes), and have just the same issue: STI levers with cables which would get in the way of a bar bag. I'm glad to see the issue discussed, and pleased to read of potential solutions. I had just about decided to buy a bar bag anyway, and then see how well it worked with the cables. Now if it doesn't work too well, then I understand from this thread that there are 2 likely fixes: noodles and Nokon cables.
Another potential fix that I'd considered is changing the levers. On some bikes with similar looking levers the gear cables seem to be able to go under the bar tape. Must be different levers I guess.
I'd be really interested to know what the OP (chocjohn) decides, and how he gets on.
Nokon cables feel like an investment, but there's something about a ha'porth of tar that my grandad used to tell me.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you can buy so called 'flexi-noodles' that are meant for 'V' brakes. These start at about £2 and run up to £5 for ones with built-in barrel adjusters. These can be made to work on STI controls; just be sure to use a good ferrule between the standard cable housing and the noodle.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

we just fit the bar bag and protect the gear cable where it would otherwise rub with these:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sram-outer-cable-protector-rubber-black-qty-4-prod30464/

that works fine for us. I secured the cable protectors in place with small zip ties.