Only a chip?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fossala

Only a chip?

Post by fossala »

Check out what this guy is trying to sell and describing it as good condition. If you look at the picture of the chainstay you can see it's been in a bad crash. Not only that it's backed up by the rear mech being heavily marked along with the shifters. I've asked him why he is selling it, I've also linked him to this thread as I can't believe he is trying to sell it as usable.
Swallow

Re: Only a chip?

Post by Swallow »

Link?
'Kernow bys Vyken'
fossala

Post by fossala »

Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'm no particular fan of carbon fibre and granted, I'd wonder about what effect that chip has on the frames strength, but tbh, that bike looks in better nick than mine.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Vantage wrote:I'm no particular fan of carbon fibre and granted, I'd wonder about what effect that chip has on the frames strength, but tbh, that bike looks in better nick than mine.

No stone would of caused that "chip". IMO the bike has been in a crash. The replacement of the bar tape and the damage to the shifters and mech make it seem even more suspect.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Another point of view is that the seller is pointing out the chainstay chip, and he could have chosen not to point it out.
I have no experience of carbon frames, and I really have no idea what might have caused that damage, or if it is likely to be anything more than cosmetic.
All I can see on the right "brifter" is some minor scratching on the brake lever. I have often seen major scoring up of the lever body in bikes that have slid down the road.
The pedal and rear mech. appear to me to be in less than sharp focus, but I can't see any major scoring up from sliding down the road, and the saddle is in good condition.
I'm assuming the handlebar tape is new.....it might have been more reassuring for prospective buyers to see the old dirty tape.
Buying secondhand is always a case of "let the buyer beware".
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

To me it doesn't look too bad (but I know nothing of CF). The chip on the chainstay - Is the frame colour in the structure of the material (ie colour impregnated) or added on after as paint or decal. If the latter, then if there is no damage to the CF/resin structure (only the paint decal is damaged?) then would it be ok?