Rim "buttons"

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Rim "buttons"

Post by Mick F »

foxyrider wrote: what you need is a thin shafted screw driver, slide it underneath the tape and rest across the rim edges, simple slide around the rim to adjust, never had any issues moving it for alignment using this method.
Yes, I know.
The others have said this, and I do it, and always have done.

I'm saying it's not as simple as has been stated. Or should I say it's not as simple in my experience with the rims I've used.

Remember, I'm not complaining that I can't do it. I'm saying that the plug idea would be simpler. Trouble is, as John W has said, if you lose one on on a dark and stormy night, you're buggered. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in fairness John W's mate's plugs were fitted to a double-eyelet rim; I suspect they can work well on rims that they are designed to fit to (ie where the bayonet on the plug has something to grip).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Brucey wrote:
JohnW wrote: I know Brucey - you're going to tell me that current production is better and that it won't happen again. It won't with me, I use rim-tape :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the rims sound like Open 4 CDs; everyone's darlings before the Open Pro came along. I can't think what the plugs might have been; I am firmly of the view that they are for rims that don't have double eyelets anyway, as I mentioned upthread.

[edit; black???? -great colour choice for night-time manoeuvres...]

cheers

Open4CDs - those are the ones Brucey - the best rims that I ever remember. Double or single eyelets...........I've made my decision anyway.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Veloplugs fall out of double eyelet rims so readily that I gave up on them before getting the tyre & tube fitted (in the comfort of my own home, never mind at the roadside).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Andrew.
They are now OFF my shopping list, to be replaced by these in 700c x 15mm.
http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/vittoria-rim-tape-pack-of-2/
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

andrew_s wrote:Veloplugs fall out of double eyelet rims so readily that I gave up on them before getting the tyre & tube fitted (in the comfort of my own home, never mind at the roadside).

Yeah - but we don't get punctures in the front room, do we? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone knows that Sodde's Law states that punctures must occur in the least convenient places at the least convenient times and in the least clement weather.

I've never tried the plugs either - it's never occurred to me to - I've always been OK with rim tape.