Looking for winter jacket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
freeflow

Looking for winter jacket

Post by freeflow »

I've had good service off my Aldi wInter jacket but for longer more active rides it just doesn't cut the mustard. As a bit of a lardy bike rider (BMI = 32 <sigh>) I do tend to sweat a lot if I use a windproof/waterproof jacket. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent winter jacket that allows a bit more ventilation to help dry off the sweat. Doesn't have to be waterproof or windproof as I have gilet and rain jackets for such occasions. But I would like to get to the end of a ride without being able to have a jersey so wet that I can wring water out of it.

For longer rides I tend to wear a merino baselayer with a thin long sleeve top and then a jacket.

Alternative advice is welcome. Quite happy to spend a bit of money if comfort can be obtained. I don't mind feeling cold air if that's necessary to get adequate ventilation.
TrevA

Re: Looking for winter jacket

Post by TrevA »

I'm a similar size to you and have couple of winter jackets. I recently bought a Decathlon 300 jacket. It's warm enough with a decent base layer and I don't sweat up in it much. No underarm vents but I control temperature with the front zip. It's not close fitting which helps with the ventilation I think. It was only £25 too. The only downside is that it's black. Not an issue for me as I use it for group rides.

My other jacket is an Altura night vision bright orange shell jacket. I use this one for commuting. Again, it's got no pit zips but it's got a not too thick wind proof coating on the front and a thin fleece back. About £70. Mine is on its 3rd winter of commuting and still looks like new.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi

+1 for the Altura NightVision windproof. My waterproof version is totally different

When the windproof needed replacing I got the Altura Ergofit windproof which seems to my inexperienced eye to be very similar but not as reflective. It's available in predominantly white, or yellow, or black and online at around £55

The only downside IME is that the reflective is a fixed size but the jacket fabric stretches and eventually the reflective begins to look a bit worn. The Ergofit has less reflective and so is less of an issue

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Endura Windchill http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... -prod91341
Windproof front and sleeves with Roubaix back so that you do not cook and pit zips.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

+1 for the Endura Windchill. I bought the women's version last year and have been very pleased with it. Warm and comfortable with just a base layer and the large pit zips are very effective if you overheat. I've worn it virtually every day for the last 2 winters and it still looks like new.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Also get pretty hot n sweaty when cycling, hence i do not do jackets but i do use several layers, couple of baselayers, couple of cycle tops and a gilet... i really do not like wearing a jacket with only 1-2 layers, getting sweaty then cooling off if stopped for any period of time....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I think if you are a big bloke, you will get sweaty on a long ride, especially if you are moving quite quickly or it's hilly. I often sit in the cafe steaming!

I've recently found that I can reduce this by varying the base layer according to how cold it is. I have a polyester skiing base layer for when it's really cold, a couple of merino wool ones for when its between 5 and 10 degrees.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

For myself got a Location black camouflage jacket from amazon.co.uk for £25. It, s perfect for cycling as it's windproof, waterproof and breathable. Plus is not too long or bulky for cycling. Use a Sam Brown over it to be seen. It even comes with a severe weather balaclava which protects your whole head.
Cherwell

Post by Cherwell »

If you don't mind spending a bit of money, then I recommend one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-gabba- ... ve-jersey/ Use in conjunction with base layer and extra wind stopper jacket for cold weather. Alternatively have a look at the Gore Bike Wear range.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I'm cautious about items that are marketed as windproof as in my experience this just means very sweaty for me. It may be that I'm just looking for a more robust jersye and don't need a jacket at all. If I do nead windproofing I cna always use my night vision gilet or in really bad cases my packable rain jacket.

I'm currently looking at

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-momentum-ro ... ve-jersey/

as something that is a denser fabric which prevents the wind whistling through but allows enough air through to keep me dry.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

freeflow wrote:I've had good service off my Aldi wInter jacket but for longer more active rides it just doesn't cut the mustard. As a bit of a lardy bike rider (BMI = 32 <sigh>) I do tend to sweat a lot if I use a windproof/waterproof jacket. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent winter jacket that allows a bit more ventilation to help dry off the sweat. Doesn't have to be waterproof or windproof as I have gilet and rain jackets for such occasions. But I would like to get to the end of a ride without being able to have a jersey so wet that I can wring water out of it.

For longer rides I tend to wear a merino baselayer with a thin long sleeve top and then a jacket.

Alternative advice is welcome. Quite happy to spend a bit of money if comfort can be obtained. I don't mind feeling cold air if that's necessary to get adequate ventilation.

Wear a bit less so you don't sweat so much to start with. If you don't need any extra windproofing, and are hot enough to sweat buckets, try without any extra. The gilet and a baselayer you already have will be enough a lot of the time, maybe add some arm warmers if they're getting a bit too chilled.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As I've posted before in the context of breathable waterproofs, cycling tends to make competing demands on clothing which are hard to reconcile: riding uphill generates a lot of heat while riding downhill = cold on the front of the body, especially if it's hot and sweaty from the effort of riding uphill. A jacket with the back made from the same material as the front may not cope. Except in really cold conditions, I think the best type of winter jacket is one with a breathable windproof front and a back made from a jersey (eg Roubaix) fabric. I've had both mine ages so I can't recommend anything currently sold. I find gilet with a windproof front and mesh back ideal when it's a bit warmer. The front can always be unzipped riding uphill and fastened on a longer descent.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Wear a bit less so you don't sweat so much to start with.

I think in my roundabout way this is what I need to do. Hence my interest in the Wiggle top. Current weather means its going to be the middle of next week before I can try a different approach. If anyone has experience of jerseys like the link above please feel free to chip in.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've found that a number of different approaches can be used to achieve a similar end.

I've got a warm winter jacket (from Foska) that I usually just wear a t-shirt under unless the temperature is down significantly below freezing. But it gets too hot for me if the temperature goes above 5 or 6 C.

I've got several Aldi jackets which are fine, for me, above that temperature. But if it is a cold start on a day that may arm up, I'll add a short sleeve Jersey & "roubaix" arm warmers underneath until I get too hot.

I've also done the 2 summer jerseys over a t-shirt with, arm warmers & mesh-backed gillet when it has been one of those days where you can't predict what it is going to do - such as a frosty start but where it may, or may not, turn into a nice sunny day.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

freeflow wrote:I'm cautious about items that are marketed as windproof as in my experience this just means very sweaty for me. It may be that I'm just looking for a more robust jersye and don't need a jacket at all. If I do nead windproofing I cna always use my night vision gilet or in really bad cases my packable rain jacket..

I think you are right.

I can see why racers might wear a single layer windproof jacket. They want to be super slim/minimise wind resistence. And their sort of riding doesn't mind a bit of pain.
It doesn't sound like you are this sort of rider or into your image so i think layering is the answer. Far more comfortable and versatile. I know they are considered old fashioned these days but i still like simple fleece cycling tops (i have a nice pearl izumi one) - i can wear a base layer under it and - if needed - a windblocker on top. And then take the windblocker off in the pub or waliking around.
Sweep