goretex pants that can be converted into shorts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
serbring

goretex pants that can be converted into shorts

Post by serbring »

Are there any goretex pants (waterprooof and still breathable) that can be converted into shorts? They will permit to have only one pants.
horizon

Re: goretex pants that can be converted into shorts

Post by horizon »

serbring: as you are from the US you may not realise that referring to leggings and trousers as "pants" in the UK may bring on a titter (thought not amongst our esteemed members of course).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

TonyR wrote:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-path-active-shell-convertible-trousers/
Windstopper Active Shell = not waterproof, just resistant.
serbring

Post by serbring »

andrew_s wrote:
TonyR wrote:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-path-active-shell-convertible-trousers/
Windstopper Active Shell = not waterproof, just resistant.

This is the reason because I skipped this model and I posted here :)
Last edited by serbring on 1 Feb 2015, 1:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

horizon wrote:serbring: as you are from the US you may not realise that referring to leggings and trousers as "pants" in the UK may bring on a titter (thought not amongst our esteemed members of course).

Pants (U.S.)

Pants (U.K.)

BTW there is a similar 'divided by a common language issue' with the word 'knickers', too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Brucey wrote:Pants (U.K.)

And those pants are really pants :wink:

And don't ask an American for a fag or a rubber if you want a cigarette or an eraser.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Of course converting to shorts is easy, it's converting back that's hard...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Kiwi Convertible Trousers from Caghoppers. Have used the standard Kiwi troosers [pants] for many years for cycling.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Bikefayre wrote:Kiwi Convertible Trousers from Caghoppers. Have used the standard Kiwi troosers [pants] for many years for cycling.

Thanks unfortunately they're just water repellent.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm not aware of goretex ones, but you might consider some alternatives, like Columbia Omni-dry.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The standard MTB solution is to buy ex army goretex over trousers for about 10 quid and chop them to fit.
Why not keep the off cut and with some self adhesive Velcro you could re-attach the cut off, with an over lap of course. Buy slightly long ones maybe?
serbring

Post by serbring »

mattsccm wrote:The standard MTB solution is to buy ex army goretex over trousers for about 10 quid and chop them to fit.
Why not keep the off cut and with some self adhesive Velcro you could re-attach the cut off, with an over lap of course. Buy slightly long ones maybe?

That's a good idea, the army goretex over trousers are much cheaper than any trekking overtrousers!!! I'm wondering why.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Vorpal wrote:I'm not aware of goretex ones, but you might consider some alternatives, like Columbia Omni-dry.

Thanks I found many cheaper alternatives, like vaude ceplex. How do they perform? vaude fluid trousers costs 44€!!! A gore bike wear equivalent costs 120€!!!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't have any convertible trousers from Columbia, but I have a couple of other Omni dry things, and I am really happy with them. I have an older pair of cargo style trousers that I wear hiking, and I've worn them through wet, tall grass, where the water soaked through my (imperfectly waterproofed :roll: ) boots and socks, but my legs remained dry where they were protected by my trousers. Some years later (7?), those trousers are still shower proof, after repeated wash cycles, and no re-proofing. I have a few Columbia items, all bought heavily reduced that I am really happy with. I would say that their products are good quality and long lasting.

On the other hand, Vaude have a good reputation, so I would probably buy those, unless I found something better on discount.

The army goretex is a good idea, but I suspect that self-adhesive velcro wouldnæt last long. It probably needs to be sewn on.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom