Unbreakable Flask

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cycle cat

Unbreakable Flask

Post by cycle cat »

I'd like an unbreakable stainless steel flask that will keep my tea hot.
My current one means the tea ends up lukewarm on day rides.
I do prime it by filling it with boiling water and shaking it.
What can people recommend?
It can go in a bag. I'm not bothered about putting it in a bottle cage.
Thank goodness for soup.
robgul

Re: Unbreakable Flask

Post by robgul »

Putting a stainless flask in a neoprene bottle bag - Blacks and Cotswold sell them - does prolong warmth for a while longer than if it's naked.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
rjb

Post by rjb »

I use a standard aluminium bottle from the £1 shop and an insulated sleeve like this with the addition of a foam ring on top - sorry its not quite in focus.

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

All my work flasks are Stanley. I swear my them. One of my newer 750ml (or is it 1l I forget) is very light. Stanley have modernised and their flasks are about a third lighter. Expensive, but I get hot beverages all day...hv
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... detailpage

My tea was still scorching hot after 5 hour rides during Oct - Nov last year although I've yet to test it under the current freezing temps.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Thermos Ultimate. Lightweight and will keep drinks hot for over 12 hours. I have drunk coffee after 18 hours in one. There are two sizes:

http://www.thermosonline.co.uk/store/Th ... ite/sp_307
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vantage wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000TASOEK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage ......

I have two Thermos ones similar to this,last Friday in 3degree temps in a bottle cage for 4hours after being in the car for an hour prior to that,my coffee was still hot.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

I did a lot of research and tried several brands to come up with a stainless steel flask that would keep medications cool between B&B's while touring. Different models by Thermos invariably showed the least change in temperature on an all-day ride. As is so often the case, it seems that you get what you pay for.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Tesco sells them for £3. Stays hot for ages
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

another use for trusty space blanket....I wrap mine round my flask before depositing it in its personal sleeping bag. Stays hot till days end usually.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

25 years ago I got a stainless flask, made tea one morning. Put it in a pannier, wrapped in clothing.

Forgot about it that evening, and the next morning, carried on riding around Dartmoor.

That evening I poured out a tea which I had to let cool....

Basically - I second the thoughts around extra layers ;)
Particularly if you had the layers with you anyway...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Have a look at the "lifeventure" not cheap but very good
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Had a relevant conversation with a work colleague just the other day... he reminded me that the original Thermos flask used a one piece double-walled glass liner, with a vacuum in the gap - a really effective barrier to heat-loss, but fragile... metal flasks, on the other hand, won't keep the vacuum and transfer heat like Billy-Oh. So there you have it. Hot contents or Durability - your choice!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The originals also used a foil liner to keep the heat in. If anyone broke one, they would see not only the glass shards infecting their brew, but the shiny foil too. I had one. In the dark ages.
Switched to a stainless one because my dad, who leaves his home at 3am Sunday and doesn't get back till after 3pm the following Saturday after thousands of miles stuck in a HGV all week swears by stainless. Which I and many others also do.
I'd say your colleague, much like the Thermos flask, is also full of hot air.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

maxcherry wrote:Tesco sells them for £3. Stays hot for ages

The one my son got from Tesco's is not very good, his drinks cool very quickly compared to mine. Also would you buy a Tesco bike at £99?

Also why would anyone buy a flask knowing they will need to wrap it in further insulation? Surely a good flask should have it's own sufficient insulation.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".