Sizing for specialized awol

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
newbiebiker

Sizing for specialized awol

Post by newbiebiker »

I am interested in buying a specialized awol, but I'm unsure of which size.

I'm a 5'11.5 female so this puts me into the mens sizing range which I don't mind - but I'm concerned about the reach. I would be a 33" inside leg - would I be better with the M or the L? Any other AWOl owners out there of my measurements?
Spinners

Re: Sizing for specialized awol

Post by Spinners »

I like the AWOL myself but the sizing is tricky. For you I'd reckon a medium will be OK but you really should try to get on one to be totally sure.

Is there a Specialized concept store near to you? I've been to the one in Bristol and there was a large there a few weeks ago.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
newbiebiker

Post by newbiebiker »

Spinners wrote:I like the AWOL myself but the sizing is tricky. For you I'd reckon a medium will be OK but you really should try to get on one to be totally sure.

Is there a Specialized concept store near to you? I've been to the one in Bristol and there was a large there a few weeks ago.

I have sat on a large in my LBS but they don't have the medium built up for me to compare, thus my dilemma. I'm vering towards medium, just hope I can get the height with the M.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Here http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77786&hilit=+awol there is a 29 PAGE thread on the AWOL.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

newbiebiker wrote:..........I have sat on a large in my LBS but they don't have the medium built up for me to compare, thus my dilemma. I'm vering towards medium, just hope I can get the height with the M.

Saddle height isn't usually a problem, some very long seatposts are available.
Handlebars can be raised with a steerer extender http://www.highonbikes.com/bbb-extender-quill-to-ahead-bike-handlebar-stem-adapter.html?gclid=CLS2g8fYyMMCFWXHtAodjysATA and some extra spacers, or a high rise stem.........
If they would only leave the steerer long, then it wouldn't be such a problem....as it is, there is usually only room for a couple of spacers, and any extra head tube length in the large size becomes the critical dimension.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

newbiebiker wrote:
Spinners wrote:I like the AWOL myself but the sizing is tricky. For you I'd reckon a medium will be OK but you really should try to get on one to be totally sure.

I have sat on a large in my LBS but they don't have the medium built up for me to compare, thus my dilemma. I'm vering towards medium, just hope I can get the height with the M.

Do they not have one or not offered to build - either way its poor service
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bikercolin

Post by bikercolin »

I was looking at the AWOl too, I am 5,11 however found the large size to big for me and could not get comfy on the medium. I ended up with a Surly LHT 54. My local LBS did agree how big these frames are, I'm normally well fitted on a,large Spech.

I would also say 10% discount was offered by my LBS and guards in the price so give haggling a try if your heart is set on one.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm the same height as the OP,but slliigghhtly short inside leg.The medium would suit due to the crazy steep seatube angle of 73.5 degrees :shock:
I would need a large size with a shorter stem and even then the s/tube angle wouldn't be ideal TBH,steep seatube angles and long legs don't mix IME.
My 2d worth.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RonK

Post by RonK »

I think the OP may find the geometry of the Salsa Fargo more appropriate.

Top tube length of the large Fargo is 580mm vs 600mm on the large AWOL.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

newbiebiker wrote:I am interested in buying a specialized awol, but I'm unsure of which size.

I'm a 5'11.5 female so this puts me into the mens sizing range which I don't mind - but I'm concerned about the reach. I would be a 33" inside leg - would I be better with the M or the L? Any other AWOl owners out there of my measurements?

Hi NB. The AWOL Elite was on my shortlist but I fell head over heels in love with the Surly DT. Having owned a Specialized I give them the thumbs up. If that's your bike I would go to a Concept store and sit on a jig. I did, and they insisted on a frame size one down from what I thought I needed. I went for it and won't regret it. It's such a good fit and I feel like I could ride forever on it!

Happy shopping...hc
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RonK wrote:I think the OP may find the geometry of the Salsa Fargo more appropriate.

Top tube length of the large Fargo is 580mm vs 600mm on the large AWOL.

Or better still a Vaya :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
newbiebiker

Post by newbiebiker »

Thanks for all your replies - very helpful. Unfortunately my LBS won't make up a M frame, so I would need to guess based on their L frame. I won't be purchasing from these guys due to their general unhelpfulness, so there! :D

I'll be using this bike for 90% commuting and tarmac with a few lighweight touring holidays in the better weather. I have looked at quite a few bikes and the AWOL seems to be loved by reviewers and owners alike. But I wonder if I'm just falling for the hype and that slick marketing ploy that is the transcontinental race!

Basically I'm looking for a decent speedy(ish) bike that I can tour on occasionally. I doubt I'll be off road that much TBH. Thanks again folks, really appreaciate the help - I'm based in N.Ireland so not too many bike shops around to try out different frames, makes your help all the more important.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Have you considered the awol elite? It comes with all the bells and whistles and is probably cheaper than if you tried to up-spec it yourself. My old Specialized was at the time their top of the range of the Globe bikes. It came with racks and mudguards but more importantly as it was my commuter bike it had a dynamo hub and B&M lights. Well worth the marginal outlay of funds.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

If you're going to spend 90% of the time commuting on it, do you have somewhere secure to store it? (secure being inside a building). I'd be worried about leaving such an expensive bike outside for any extended length of time.
newbiebiker

Post by newbiebiker »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Have you considered the awol elite? It comes with all the bells and whistles and is probably cheaper than if you tried to up-spec it yourself. My old Specialized was at the time their top of the range of the Globe bikes. It came with racks and mudguards but more importantly as it was my commuter bike it had a dynamo hub and B&M lights. Well worth the marginal outlay of funds.

I have indeed considered the elite, it may be the way to go. I agree that it's probably better to buy the bike with all I need from the get go.