Anyone Recommend-Wheel Building Course?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Two_Trooper

Anyone Recommend-Wheel Building Course?

Post by Two_Trooper »

Hi Guys

I am interested in building my own wheels for myself and as a hobby, I have looked around to do a course/training, I have found a couple of places, but they are either under filled or not within the next two months. Can anyone recommend a course or training days? anyone been on one and could be helpful with advice?

Your time is appreciated..

Thanks

Trooper
reohn2

Re: Anyone Recommend-Wheel Building Course?

Post by reohn2 »

Buy the Roger Musson book online follow the step guide and his many useful hints and tips.If you've got even a smidgen of common sense,a little practical knowledge and a little patience, wheelbuilding's not the daunting prospect it appears.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've done it, as required, for 25 years.
There are two essential concepts.
1. Stress relieve when finished.
2. The secret, in fact the ONLY way of correcting vertical errors (bumps) is to not put them in in the first place.
So, unless a spoke is really loose, it's much better to slightly tweak several.

Finally, if you seek to get all the spokes at exactly equal tension (by note when tapping), ,you will not get a perfect wheel. When you get a perfect wheel, they will not be all of exactly the same note, but they'll be within one tone (doh ray) of one another.
Last edited by Gearoidmuar on 9 Feb 2015, 7:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two_Trooper

Post by Two_Trooper »

reohn2 wrote:Buy the Roger Musson book online follow the step guide and his many useful hints and tips.If you've got even a smidgen of common sense,a little practical knowledge and a little patience, wheelbuilding's not the daunting prospect it appears.

Wow, thank you for that, I found this site http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php.

"Wheel" look at this closely, sorry for the pun

Trooper
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

While you are getting his book contact Roger and ask him if he is doing any courses. He sometimes does.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

reohn2 wrote:Buy the Roger Musson book online follow the step guide and his many useful hints and tips.If you've got even a smidgen of common sense,a little practical knowledge and a little patience, wheelbuilding's not the daunting prospect it appears.

Plus 1 for Rogers book, I've used it and recommended it to a colleague at work. He'd no practical experience at all and has built his new wheels and is well pleased.
Ps don't forget you also get free updates.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Hi
I'm not sure where you are but there's a guy in london called Arup, I think south east London, who does small friendly courses for a few people depending on demand. He's a link if you want know more.
http://www.yogarup.com/wheels/
He's supposed to be good although I've not actually been on his course myself but a lot of people on the lfgss forum recommend him.

I bought the Musson book and rate it quite highly in its non scientific practical approach.

Best of luck.
Gerry
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Read/follow Sheldon Brownhttp://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html. Pretty well all you need to know here to start is there and it's free. For additional info search the CTC forum. :wink: Symmetrical front wheel, ie non dished, is the easiest to start with.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Again, have found Roger Musson very good & worth the download fee.

Incorporated in the book is a simple guide of how to build your own truing stand out of MDF & other odds n sods which in itself is a good project for a rainy day.

I've built 5 wheels using said book and they've all been good so far, probably more due to decent components than any natural talent but it really is not difficult.

All the best, Simon
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

I bought an excellent book: "The bicycle wheel" by Jobst Brandt. I also went on a wheel building course at "The Birmingham Bike Foundry"
I can recommend both.
Two_Trooper

Post by Two_Trooper »

gerrymcm wrote:Hi
I'm not sure where you are but there's a guy in london called Arup, I think south east London, who does small friendly courses for a few people depending on demand. He's a link if you want know more.
He's supposed to be good although I've not actually been on his course myself but a lot of people on the lfgss forum recommend him.

I bought the Musson book and rate it quite highly in its non scientific practical approach.

Best of luck.
Gerry

Thanks for that, I did email him back in December, I have had no reply yet, but he has fantastic videos, I am so eager to try and get going and build a wheels.

Two_Trooper
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Hi two trooper,
I'm surprised I contacted him last year as I was interested in attending and he was very responsive. In the end I decided that I'd have a go myself with Musson's book. My first wheel was really easy as it was simply replacing a hub with the same one so no spoke measuring etc.
This is very similar to the suggestion of simply taking an old wheel apart and putting it back together which is reccomended way to experiment with the process of building and truing without the hassle of measuring spokes and hub etc.

Best of luck.
Gerry
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MikeF wrote:Read/follow Sheldon Brownhttp://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html. Pretty well all you need to know here to start is there and it's free. For additional info search the CTC forum. :wink: Symmetrical front wheel, ie non dished, is the easiest to start with.
Utterly correct.

Exactly what I did. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

thidwick wrote:I bought an excellent book: "The bicycle wheel" by Jobst Brandt. I also went on a wheel building course at "The Birmingham Bike Foundry"
I can recommend both.

I have it and have read it as well. Excellent.
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

gerrymcm wrote:Hi

Best of luck.
Gerry

I checked the link and Arup Sen is definitely very different. I learnt wheel building with Roger Musson but I have also read the wheel building book by Jobst Brandt, who wrote his book quite a few years ago and until now his work is quoted by very experienced and reputable wheel builders. I also read The Art of Wheelbuilding by Gerd Schraner. All of these books teach proper wheel building.

I had watched a few of his videos on Youtube and even as a pre beginner (not having built a single wheel) I dismissed him, I mean, he didn't inspire any confidence, having watched this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNOCuNLQlj8 Vs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjggmN ... 6BA997E97E Arup Sen seemed an amateur wheel builder at best.