Anyone Recommend-Wheel Building Course?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Two_Trooper

Re: Anyone Recommend-Wheel Building Course?

Postby Two_Trooper » 15 Feb 2015, 11:33am

Hi Guys

Thank you so much, you are all vey helpful. I have downloaded and now reading Rogers book recommended. I so eager to start with some old wheels I have. After I have built my truing stand (also in the book)

Again thank you all.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Two_Trooper

RRSODL

Postby RRSODL » 17 Feb 2015, 11:42pm

Two_Trooper wrote:Hi Guys

Thank you so much, you are all vey helpful. I have downloaded and now reading Rogers book recommended. I so eager to start with some old wheels I have. After I have built my truing stand (also in the book)

Again thank you all.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Two_Trooper

Roger Musson book is very good. I also have the truing stand that RM suggest to build and the nipple driver. I have the Parks Tools 2.2 and although it's a better truing stand I find that my wooden one is much more portable so it's easy to take it with me.

RM advises to start with a new wheel but I started with an old rim and hub, new spokes though. It wasn't too bad.

Best of luck and have fun.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 18 Feb 2015, 7:33am

RRSODL wrote:Roger Musson book is very good. I also have the truing stand that RM suggest to build and the nipple driver. I have the Parks Tools 2.2 and although it's a better truing stand I find that my wooden one is much more portable so it's easy to take it with me.

RM advises to start with a new wheel but I started with an old rim and hub, new spokes though. It wasn't too bad.

Best of luck and have fun.

I started with fitting a new rim to existing hub and spokes. A gentle introduction to the wheel building process.

TimP

Postby TimP » 22 Jun 2015, 4:32pm

I picked up what was already an old and faded book in the library when I was about 15 and read it. I then built a wheel jig using an old pair of front forks (not as the book suggested, but much simpler) stuck in a piece of floorboard and a couple of holes drilled through the forks for guides and my finger for vertical checking.

I then built a dishing tool out of wood - one piece a bit longer than the wheel diameter, 2 small blocks of equal thickness either end and a bolt with 2 nuts (one either side of the wood) through the centre to touch the axle end.

Next I simply jumped in and built a front wheel (small flange old alloy hub, Mavic E2 rim, rustless double butted spokes laced 3 cross). When that turned out okay, a rear wheel (old large flange alloy hub, Mavic E2 rim, rustless double butted spokes laced 3 cross) - note, had to stretch the jig forks apart to fit a rear wheel but as they were never going to be used in a bike again that didn't matter. They have been squeezed in and apart many times since).

I am proud to say that I still use those wheels today - over 35 years on. Racing, day rides and even camping touring without snapping a spoke. I am sure you can do likewise. If it doesn't go so right the first time simply take them apart and start again. None of the parts are "use once only" so you can build them 10 times even if you want to. Have some fun - try different lacing patterns. I am planning t re-spoke these same wheels soon as the the rustless spokes are not rustless and are getting VERY thin after so long. I don't have the jig or dishing tool anymore but can improvise. I am thinking of being more adventurous, maybe a 3 cross drive side, 1 or 2 cross free side rear for example. I considered a radial front too but I like a bit of comfort so maybe a 2 cross.