soft cycling jacket (please recommend)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

soft cycling jacket (please recommend)

Postby AlastairS » 16 Feb 2015, 1:35pm

Hi, I was cycling with some other cyclists for the 1st time at the weekend and a woman wore a non waterproof jacket , long sleeve and long zip. It was windproof and breathable. It has 3 pockets at the back, one where she kept her packaway waterproof jacket. I meanwhile wore my winter weight waterproof jacket. I think she was more comfortable than me. Can you recommend a jacket for me please. I see Merlin have some sales at the moment. Thanks, Al

Cherwell

Re: soft cycling jacket (please recommend)

Postby Cherwell » 16 Feb 2015, 4:03pm

Castelli Gabba or Gore Xenon 2

Jay Gee

Postby Jay Gee » 17 Feb 2015, 7:11pm

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... ll-jacket/

I've been using this to one, very comfortable, works very well over a work shirt for cold commuting.

Timuk

Postby Timuk » 17 Feb 2015, 11:33pm

My missus bought me the Gore Phantom 2 jacket from Wiggle. Really nice ,versatile and currently a third off the rrp.

Its quite thin but manages to be warm enough. Recommended.

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 18 Feb 2015, 1:03am

Timuk wrote:My missus bought me the Gore Phantom 2 jacket from Wiggle. Really nice ,versatile and currently a third off the rrp.

Its quite thin but manages to be warm enough. Recommended.

I ride in one of these and can't complain about it, only issue I've had in the years I've owned them have been bad zips, the first zip went in 8 months and after much delay Evans swapped it, the zip went on the replacement jacket after a further 12 months daily use so a local tailor replaced it for £30.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 18 Feb 2015, 11:42am

Timuk wrote:My missus bought me the Gore Phantom 2 jacket from Wiggle. Really nice ,versatile and currently a third off the rrp.

I've been using one of these for the last 6 years or so.
No failed zips, only problem is that the binding is starting to come away from the bottom edge.

loafer

Postby loafer » 22 Feb 2015, 2:42pm

Dave W

Postby Dave W » 22 Feb 2015, 5:13pm

I've got a couple of these and have been quite happy with them.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... earzjls100

thidwick

Postby thidwick » 22 Feb 2015, 5:21pm

+1 for Gore
I've had a Gore Windstopper Soft Shell for a few years. I remember thinking it was expensive when I bought it: but probably a decade later I still use it almost every time I go out on the bike, unless its really warm. No failed zips, absolutely no complaints. It's getting a bit manky, but is still very windproof, and is shower proof to some extent.
A sound investment.

AlastairS

Postby AlastairS » 23 Feb 2015, 10:32am

Thanks for replies. Lots of +s for Gore Windstopper soft shell _ I will think seriously about buying one - Thank you.

samsbike

Postby samsbike » 24 Feb 2015, 3:39pm

how is the new bike?

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 24 Feb 2015, 4:12pm

Gore Windstopper is a slightly de-tuned version of Goretex and has a laminate barrier sandwiched between conventional fabrics. The good thing about this is it's windproof, more breathable than a full-on Goretex jacket and will actually see off a shower very well. Less good is it's much less breathable than a plain woven fabric, and if it does get wet through takes roughly forever and a day to dry out.

Personally I prefer a windbreaker with a tight conventional weave, which is typically lighter, cheaper, more breathable and faster drying. But it will get out of its depth in dreich a lot quicker. In other words, you choose, you lose.

There's no shortage of windbreakers, and one thing worth considering is whether you want something that'll work off the bike as well as on it. Personally I despise rear pockets, as if I want things easily to hand I prefer a bar bag, and off the bike rear pockets and a rucksack don't go well together. I do have a bike specific windbreaker, but a lot of having it is it was a present... I'd be almost as happy on the bike in a normal windbreaker, and I have a couple I prefer for short hops and utility trips on the bike (not the exact models, but similar to http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-jackets-Windshadow-Jacket-?ocode=03857097 and http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-jackets-Pampas-Jacket?ocode=03873D76).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

mapman

Postby mapman » 24 Feb 2015, 5:21pm

No hesitation here in recommending the Gore soft shell jackets.

I too have the 'Phantom' model which I wear on the warmer days of Winter (hardly ever), Spring and Autumn.

My winter go to jacket is called the 'Tool', I hope it's still available as I would buy another and put in the wardrobe for when number one wears out !!

I'm not a commuter, so my use is leisure only. My journeys are between 15 and 60 miles at this time of year.

I find the jacket 100% windproof, quite showerproof and breathable enough. Bear in mind if you're putting a lot of effort going up a hill, you're going to sweat even if you just had a tee shirt on.

Only word of warning is fit. Different models seem to have different cuts. My Phantom is a small but the Tool is a large, both fit me fine.

Find either in a sale and you're laughing.

Mike

mill4six

Postby mill4six » 24 Feb 2015, 7:11pm

Another gore phantom here, I've had it years and it just won't wear out! With a merino base layer and a featherlight waterproof for backup it's good for sub zero commuting and in the spring the sleeves come off. I've got another supposedly windproof shell but the gore is much better, it's totally wind proof so there's no wind chill at all, unlike my berghaus. And don't worry it dries quickly!

AlastairS

Postby AlastairS » 24 Feb 2015, 10:31pm

Seems the Gore Phantom jacket is the bee's knee's!
Thanks All.
Pete, I've not looked at those Rohan tops yet, but will do tomorrow. Thanks.
how is the new bike?
I cancelled my order for the 53, but Halfords have found a 51.5cm on display in another store and are to transfer it to my local shop. All going well, I may have a bike next week.
Thanks for asking.