Heads up Aldi

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
al_yrpal

Heads up Aldi

Post by al_yrpal »

On Sunday Aldi have motorcycle gear. In particular head and neck warmers very suitable for winter cycling and just £4.99

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gaz

Re: Heads up Aldi

Post by gaz »

On Monday 16th Lidl have cycling gear :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

I can't remember if I bought them in Lidl or Aldi, but a pair of leather motor cycle gloves are the only gloves that I have ever found to keep my hands warm on a bike in sub-zero temperatures. Must have gone through a dozen other gloves over the years before I found these.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Bum.................they are all different.................post code.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Still no shoes at Lidl I see. Mine are a good few years old now but have been great and only about £15 IIRC - I'd buy another pair if they had them again!
shouldbeinbed

Post by shouldbeinbed »

NetworkMan wrote:Still no shoes at Lidl I see. Mine are a good few years old now but have been great and only about £15 IIRC - I'd buy another pair if they had them again!

seonded, I've had Aldi & lidl MTB/tour type shoes, the lidl ones are a tad more mainstream looking but both stores offerings belie the dirt cheap price paid.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
NetworkMan wrote:Still no shoes at Lidl I see. Mine are a good few years old now but have been great and only about £15 IIRC - I'd buy another pair if they had them again!

Used mine today, for the money unbeatable and comfy too, walking is a doddle, have a spare pair off ebay so good for some time yet.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I found the aldi /lidl shoes would suffer from premature cracking across the sole plate right where the back of the cleat slots are, happened on 3 pairs so far lasting no more than 6 months each untill i gave up and went for a stronger soled shoe.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I never use cleats, and I suppose that's the drawback with cleats that is you need a shoe which is supper stiff and strong at that point.
For standard non cleat use (normal flat pedals) they are up to the job, the Aldi one are more suited to on road being a lighter construction.
If they are cracking at 6 months then ask for your money back :?:
And they are not up to the task.

In the same way that incorrect cleat for and aft will lead to stability problems in the foot, which end with unexplained knee pain.
The lack of width of a SPD pedal I see as another Achilles heel of clipless systems.

In no way am I making excuses for your shoes failing, I would be annoyed too.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've had an Aldi for some time now and they have had a decent use over the last 9 months. Bought for a tenner as a cheap trial of SPDs with the view if i didn;t get on with SPDs then no loss. Ended up without getting the pedals so just used as cycling shoes on flat pedals. Worked well apart from the covers screwed into where the cleats go came off after a while. I got them caught on the pedal once and guess it ripped off. Still no matter they were still useable. They are fairly narrow I think and on first wearing I thought they were too tight, soon loosened up.

My partner has a Lidl softshell that took some use both on and off the bike when out in the hills. Not a bad buy. I know my old cycling group used to look like they were in Aldi or lidl team colours!!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Lidl have the work stand again. Best 25 quid I have spent there I think.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

CyberKnight wrote:I found the aldi /lidl shoes would suffer from premature cracking across the sole plate right where the back of the cleat slots are, happened on 3 pairs so far lasting no more than 6 months each untill i gave up and went for a stronger soled shoe.

Mine last a bit longer than that, except the pair that cracked on the first outing (I probably shouldn't have squatted on my haunches when i dropped MicroBob off at nursery).

Although I am tempted to pay a bit more next time round...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What do you think about the Bluetooth HR chest strap? Is that worth getting for £15?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Ha..........looks like Cycling stuff is on at Lidl TQ Paigton & N-Abbot, mon 16-3 :)
Need a short sleeve jersey, Non white so its the red.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

We have Lidl and Aldi here but get nowhere near as many cyling offers as the UK. I wonder why as cycling here in France is very popular?