CTC Magazine readers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gaz

Re: CTC Magazine readers

Postby gaz » 11 Mar 2015, 8:37pm

JCroxton wrote:And is it worth asking my newsagent to go to the trouble?

Many moons ago I recall complaints in the mag about it appearing in newsagents before member's copies had hit the doormat.

Whilst (I think) it still has a cover price I'm far from sure that it remains available for retail sale.
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

pwa

Postby pwa » 11 Mar 2015, 9:20pm

Thinking about it, I probably only read half the content. I don't find campaign stuff interesting. I don't read articles on cycling clubs in other areas. I don't bother with articles on children's bikes (my kids are grown up). I don't fly, so I ignore articles on cycling in South America, etc, etc.

I do read the technical stuff if it is about road bikes (including tourers), and I tend to read question and answer stuff. And I sometimes like the reviews.

robgul

Postby robgul » 11 Mar 2015, 9:55pm

BARRACH wrote:I no longer look forward to receiving it. It was great a few years ago. Load of brilliant articles
on touring etc. but that all changed and like everything it is now dumbed down and don't think
I could really recommend it to anyone.

Have to say I would agree with all that .... I'm tempted to get a cat so we can use the mag usefully :evil: In fairness, none of the cycling magazines on sale nowadays are very good/useful or worth the money ... but then like cycling clubs, it's difficult to be all things to all men ...

Rob

jessand

Postby jessand » 11 Mar 2015, 10:58pm

I find, like many, that there is less of interest in it these days. What particularly annoys me is the tendency to use very small print in places and to use coloured backgrounds and grey or other less clear, less contrasting text colours too. It's strange when there is a lot of discussion generally about 'accessability' - even more so when the majority of Cycle readers are probably of an age where their reading vision is not what it was!

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 12 Mar 2015, 4:40am

I quite enjoy cycling & things related.....ergo I quite enjoy the 'Cycle' magazine. Maybe not all of it, but it's a lot better than most of the other 'free' dross that drops through my letter box when I'm home.

It has some nice pictures, articles pertaining to cycling (obviously), so I can't see what's not to like really. Simple as that,

All the best, Simon

Elizabethsdad

Postby Elizabethsdad » 12 Mar 2015, 7:12am

I look forward to getting at as part of my CTC membership. The articles are of varying interest to me but this just shows the wide range of the content.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Mar 2015, 9:33am

It's a great magazine, and probably the best one out there.

Trouble is, I'm bored with it.
I arrives in the letter box, and then sits on the coffee table. It may be a week before I pick it up, and within an hour it's cast aside. I may or may not renew my membership later this year, and if I don't renew, I won't miss Cycle one iota. I certainly wouldn't buy one.

The last couple are on the floor in the hall waiting for me to take them to the waiting room at the dentist or health centre, or even the recycling.
Mick F. Cornwall

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 12 Mar 2015, 11:09am

Mick F wrote:Trouble is, I'm bored with it.

Feedback from members I ride with indicates that many of us feel the same way.

A professional body I belonged to for many years had a policy of changing editor every five years to give fresh impedance to the magazine.

I have to be careful with comments about Cycle because it usually stirs up my internet troll.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

mjr

Postby mjr » 12 Mar 2015, 2:27pm

I used to get the occasional copy when I (a CN delegate) met my local CTC equivalent but I understand he's resigned to stand for election. It was better than anything in Smiths but not really what I'd expect to appeal to CTC members I've met.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 12 Mar 2015, 3:15pm

It'd be interesting to see if a full online version would be available to members and the money saved go toward something useful, or would advertisers feel even more less inclined to use the mag or want to pay less if fewer hard copies are being distributed?

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 12 Mar 2015, 4:18pm

bring back the Gazette!
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 12 Mar 2015, 4:48pm

I hope I don't get shot down in flames but I think the magazine is a tad amateurish, contains too many articles on MTBing and the reviews never contain any kind of rating or recommendation. I certainly would not buy it if I didn't get it as part of my subscrition.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

goosegog

Postby goosegog » 17 Mar 2015, 9:09pm

I enjoy reading the Magazine, but I am disappointed there is no feedback to articles. Why doesn`t the Magazine have its own Board on the Forum, it would give better feedback and information to readers. I was surprised in the latest edition a reader wanted to repair his panniers, there was no editorial comment guiding the reader to the Forum where he could get his panniers repaired. Ironically the forum was featured on an adjacent column. I was going to reply to CJ`s comments on Ocktoberfest but the reply system isn`t user friendly.

Si

Postby Si » 18 Mar 2015, 8:30am

Why doesn`t the Magazine have its own Board on the Forum, it would give better feedback and information to readers.

Something similar has been suggested. We are told that the magazine gets more than enough feedback already. Plus feedback via the forum is questionable due to the number of people who don't actually read the magazine but still hold very strong opinions on it.

We did suggest that for certain articles in the magazine a thread could be started on the forum and a link added to the end of the article in the magazine such that interested readers could come and discuss it on line. This opportunity was not taken up - I can't remember what the reason was. However, if you see something that interests you in the magazine then you are free to start your own thread on it.

Ray

Postby Ray » 18 Mar 2015, 9:22am

Si wrote: feedback via the forum is questionable due to the number of people who don't actually read the magazine but still hold very strong opinions on it.

:roll: :roll:

Yes - see below.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell