CTC Magazine readers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JCroxton

CTC Magazine readers

Post by JCroxton »

Out of the forum users, how many of us read the CTC Magazine?

As we're all aware, magazines are becoming less and less popular with this modern day interweb thing, and as such, my local newsagent doesn't stock the CTC magazine, but would be happy to get it in for me - very kind of them. But, I don't want to get them to do that, then find it's not as useful as I'd hoped it would be, then have to ask them to cancel it.

For those that do read it, what am I likely to find in the magazine? And is it worth asking my newsagent to go to the trouble?

TIA
Josh
groberts

Re: CTC Magazine readers

Post by groberts »

I find the magazine Cycle to be well written, informative, balanced and often useful - I'd go so far as to say it's a model of what a club magazine should look like.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I loved it at first.

Then as my membership continued I looked forward to it less and less. Partly because it moved away from my sort of cycling and partly because as I learned more it had less new to offer.

The cover price is £3 an issue which makes £18 pa, so if you were going to consider paying that, it may make better use of your money to get CTC membership which includes the magazine and other things (especially third party insurance).
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I do read the mag. But only because it comes as part of the package. I am a member partly for insurance and partly for nostalgia reasons and as an ancient it is cheapish. I would not buy it because as others have said the club in general has moved away from my kind of cycling and this is reflected in the general tone.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

1st copy I read (over a year ago) was interesting, but since then my "reading" seems to take very little time.

I'm no longer a member and briefly thought about the magazine and decided it was a waste of money. Even more the case now that one of the most important contributors has "been made redundant" from the CTC and seems unlikely to be contributing further or being replaced.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I read it every time it hits my doormat.

It's appeal has waned somewhat, but I still tend to read all it has to offer (Except the adverts, I have a retinal adblock installation ;) )
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

It WAS good for the ex-Technical Officer's Chris Juden's reviews, Technical Articles and Info, and Q&A page (a few Q&A pages still to come). Some nice Touring articles too. And campaign news.

It seems anyone download/view a (very?) cutdown copy on the web now: but it seems no longer available as a full pdf on the website? http://www.ctc.org.uk/publications?field_publication_type_value_many_to_one=0
http://www.ctc.org.uk/publication/cycle-magazine/cycle-magazine-december-2014-january-2015
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
whoof

Post by whoof »

I read it and look forward to it's arrival. The only problems I've had is when it's failed to turn up I have to keep reminding CTC the I'm a member.

At one time I got Cycling Plus but you can only write 'How to train for a Sportive' in so many ways and I'm not interested in any of them. Most magazines sales have been dropping over the past few years. Just did a quick search and Gardeners World and Auto Express sales fell by 8% in 2013 whilst Golf Monthly fell by 10%. Less to do with content and people giving up gardening, driving and golf than online access to information.
Si

Post by Si »

I was in Smiths today looking at the bike mags. Nothing at all like the CTC mag there.....it's all MTBing or Sportif-type riding....i.e. where the the people with all the disposable income are apparently. There is Cycling World but there are particular aspects of that that I don't get on with.

Thus, I have to say that Cycle's better than most anything else that is on offer for my tastes and interests. But this is the thing - no one can tell you if it's any good for you because everyone has different requirements of a magazine. The only way that you're going to know is to try it, or at least look at the contents pages and see if it covers the topics that are of interest to you.

Personally I still mourn the passing of New Cyclist / Cycling Today as, for me, that epitomised what cycling was about. Cycle is probably the closest to this at the moment...unless anyone knows better?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, The magazine I really miss is the original Cycling World. Early issues came in folded newspaper form. But what made it special was the writing talent? Arnold Robinson, Albert Winstanley both spring to mind. They inspired one to get out and about on your cycle, with suggestions of watering holes along the route. These days it is rubbish, appearing on the news stands later than any closing dates for offers! Chiefly a promotional vehicle for over priced charity rides. They no longer get my money! TTFN MM
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The only 2 cycling magazines that I read nowadays are Cycle and Arrivee. Both a bit quirky and unlikely to appeal to a mass audience but I like them both. Cycle is not as good as it used to be but still a worthwhile read.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TrevA wrote:Cycle is not as good as it used to be but still a worthwhile read.

Plus, probably from next issue or the one after that there will no longer be any technical info from the now redundant CTC Technical person - which for some will make the magazine even less useful.

Ian
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

You can't please all the people all of the time, there's some good stuff, some ok stuff and some bang average stuff that seems pointless..to me. Everyone has a different viewpoint, everyone has different needs and what they perceive is 'their' type of cycling and what that entails.
As others have said, get a membership for a year, you'll get the mag and the third party insurance/legal help should you need it and it won't cost much either way.
motty

Post by motty »

Cycle used to be good, much less so now, the last issue was barely read.
I certainty won't miss it once my membership expires
BARRACH

Post by BARRACH »

I no longer look forward to receiving it. It was great a few years ago. Load of brilliant articles
on touring etc. but that all changed and like everything it is now dumbed down and don't think
I could really recommend it to anyone.