Getting back on bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
700c

Re: Getting back on bike

Post by 700c »

Thanks chaps, I have much to consider in the coming weeks and months. I shall keep you updated :D
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I live in South Birmingham, have good access to the London Midland rail network using my pensioner pass, and have a car with a very small boot upon which a bike rack does not fit very well.

So what I do is the following

Catch a train to somewhere with the galaxy, cycle to somewhere else carrying flask and sandwiches, get a train back from there

Pop the Brompton into the boot of the car, travel up to 70 miles, then go on a ride with sandwiches and flask. This often means Peak District or Forest of Dean trails (the shallower ones in the latter case!), canals or somewhere fairly flat 'cos not being that fit I find the Brompton hard work.

The Brompton is a P6R 6-speed with the Brompton wide-range hub, rack and mudguards and a wireless cycle computer, and personally I find it a more leisurely steed - that means that on the Tissington trail for example I take more time to admire (and photograph) the surrounding countryside.

The Brommie is also very useful for travelling into the centre of Birmingham if I don't feel like riding all the way there, 'cos its easy to get onto the train (not that the bigger bike is difficult, its just that the folder is handier).

Now I've got the Brommie I wouldn't be without it, but still like riding the bigger bike so will keep both.

One thing you will find - when you ride the Brompton it will feel nervous and twitchy at first, and difficult to keep in a straight line. Then when you get on something like the Galaxy at first it will feel as if the steering isn't working! It's just a difference in characteristics. Plus I find that the rear derailler on the Brommie needs lots of lube, it seems to cause some drag otherwise.

That's how I do it, having said that there are people on this and other forums that race and tour on Bromptons quite happily.

And on my last excursion to the Tissington trail I met a guy with a Birdy, and from what I saw, if you can afford it it may be worth a look!

Have fun -Richard.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
RickH

Post by RickH »

Another article on touring with Bromptons is - One Month of Loaded Touring on the Bromptons, or ‘No, it’s not a Bike Friday’ on The Path Less Pedaled website/blog (produced by an American couple who tour extensively). They also sell "The Unauthorized Brompton Touring Guide" but I haven't seen it personally.

There is a copy of an article I posted here a couple of years ago, about a couple using Bromptons & Carry Freedom City trailers to bike & train, in a topic on Touring on a Brompton.

Hope those help

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
700c

Post by 700c »

700c wrote:Thanks chaps, I have much to consider in the coming weeks and months. I shall keep you updated :D

Three and a bit years ago :shock: I promised to keep you updated.

I never did buy a folder, I kinda forgot about the idea as life got in the way.
For a good couple of years I just twizzled about doing 5/10 milers into Town and back, doing the shopping etc.

Last year I had a plate and a bunch of pins removed from ankle, and have since been able to have much longer rides.
I'm now back up to easily being able to do 75-80 miles in a day.

Thanks to all for the advice given back in 2015! I'm glad I kept the Thorn.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One
You will soon be stronger than ever
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

700c wrote:Three and a bit years ago :shock: I promised to keep you updated.

I never did buy a folder, I kinda forgot about the idea as life got in the way.
For a good couple of years I just twizzled about doing 5/10 milers into Town and back, doing the shopping etc.

Last year I had a plate and a bunch of pins removed from ankle, and have since been able to have much longer rides.
I'm now back up to easily being able to do 75-80 miles in a day.

Thanks to all for the advice given back in 2015! I'm glad I kept the Thorn.

Wow, excellent result! :D